TMNT Complete Episode Work/Image Thread

Comments on work in progress
Shredder565

Re: TMNT Complete Episode Work/Image Thread

Post by Shredder565 » 02 Jun 2017, 22:06

yeah, I found out in the last two projects, that i'm not good enough to make toon ink render well. so i abandoned it the last two projects. at least as far as the actual inking of the images go. the toon coloring is still there.

I will save these posts and take a look at it when i go to render out the final Real Ghostbusters Intro. Maybe it can help me make the skies look a little nicer as a skin test.. :)

Superpositivo

Post by Superpositivo » 02 Jun 2017, 22:39

Maybe this can help you with the toon shader.

In the image you can see two men. LEFT with the Rimlight on and adjusted, and RIGHT, without. You can see the difference.

- The ink is made to give the typical, well, ink line of cartoon or drawings. It has various parameters inside to have a variation on the ink run, like from thinner to bolder.
But in this image I used just as it is. Only changing the spread from 2 to 0.5, to make it thin.

- In the toon shader I turned on the rimlight and put it in black color and Multiply. This to be used a an ink, on the borders.
Softness 0, reduce the softness as preferred. Not to soft, anyway.
Coverage gives you the sensation to have an outline bolder or thinner. It works like the incidence node, so you can change the light influence, but with default parameters it's already ok.
In this way you have a faster ink with, covering some details inside a mesh, and also with an ink look with a variation depending on the mesh, giving a more "hand made" look.

Since the "shader ink" cannot cover really small details, the Toon Ink Lens will do the rest, and you have a continuity.

Of course, this is pretty simple and it can work for many situations. Anyway tweaking parameters in Toon Ink Lens will give you more control (also if the objects are far and smaller, Toon Ink needs to know it, and so, it needs to reduce it's thickness. You can tell it in the variations tabs inside the Toon Ink Lens. Depending on your needs.
Attachments
Toon Tut.jpg

Shredder565

Post by Shredder565 » 05 Jun 2017, 17:21

I discovered Rim Lights By accident last year, and i've found myself using it more and more. I don't know why, but i find that it looks like it adds more detail to it with an extra color.

as for toon ink, the problem i found is that it made tthings look a bit jumbled, and it didn't gi ve the look i really wanted. what i wound up doing was adding in my own manual lines to try and match the show look a little better.

Here is the new vernon i've been working on. on the left, he has rim lights added. the right is the older version from two years ago. the left also has a new face from the meshlab software.

Shredder565

Post by Shredder565 » 06 Jun 2017, 00:23

a more or less finished vernon. i just need a news crew man, and

Shredder565

Post by Shredder565 » 06 Jun 2017, 21:25

Old Versus new

Shredder565

Post by Shredder565 » 15 Jun 2017, 22:10

here is a question, considering this was addressed in this thread.

How can I make the sirens and headlights light up and look flashy in softimage direct?

i can kind of do it in older versions of after effects, but it doesn't look great.

considering textures where brought up in the last few posts, i decided to try again and this is the result. it kind of works

Shredder565

Post by Shredder565 » 20 Jul 2017, 18:52

havn't felt the need to work on it as much since lionsgate hit me with a copyright strike.

sigh.

why work on it when you can't upload it anywhere?

i'll probably finish it at one point.....but need a break for abit.

Shredder565

Post by Shredder565 » 29 Aug 2017, 03:30

Ghostbusters is done. going back to turtles for a bit. I think I will do Rip Off and A THIRD try at Big Blow Out back to back so at least three projects will all have the same models.

When you have no life and need projects to keep one busy, it helps to keep one sane and focused.

where to go from that? not sure yet. i'm not good enough to turn this into a full time gig. and I KNOW I don't want to do any more full turtle episodes after this.

Break In looks good enough on it's own and doesn't need a remix. Maybe short clips from shows that could use a little updating attempt?

FXDude

Post by FXDude » 30 Aug 2017, 23:21

Shredder565 wrote:
How can I make the sirens and headlights light up and look flashy in softimage direct?

considering textures where brought up in the last few posts, i decided to try again and this is the result. it kind of works
Sorry to answer that just as you were going back to the Turtles,

but might come in handy for the turtles too..

--> you can easily apply lens flares to spots (... and rotate the spots in Y in the case of the sirens)

Cheers,

Shredder565

Post by Shredder565 » 30 Aug 2017, 23:42

if it can animate that nice, looks exactly what might work. i'll mess around with it this weekend

FXDude

Post by FXDude » 31 Aug 2017, 00:20

Cool,

Also note that increasing the "Spread Angle" under the main color slider
will make the flares fade-out more gradually (instead of suddenly) when the lights start pointing away from the camera when you rotate the lights.

Good luck!

Shredder565

Post by Shredder565 » 04 Sep 2017, 02:15

minus a few lip sync issues....act one fixed today, animation wise at least.

messing around with act two this week.

Big Blow Out Take 3 will be a MUCH slower, do as I feel like, project seeing as how it's the third time around in improvements. but at least THREE Projects will be updated with all the exact same intro and models.

Shredder565

Post by Shredder565 » 04 Sep 2017, 18:32

FXDude wrote:Cool,

Also note that increasing the "Spread Angle" under the main color slider
will make the flares fade-out more gradually (instead of suddenly) when the lights start pointing away from the camera when you rotate the lights.

Good luck!

I messed around with the light thing a little.
first try didn't work so great. IT didn't really do anything. I must have messed up somewhere. will try again soon.

how come sometimes when i rotate the torso, it does this? instead of a smooth rotation, it goes on the y or x or z axis and does a 180 in a horizontal position? I then have to go frame by frame to get it to straighten out.
.Image

(post migrated from 3.0.4 board -rr)

Shredder565

Post by Shredder565 » 06 Sep 2017, 20:34

act 2 again

Shredder565

Post by Shredder565 » 13 Sep 2017, 03:22

going to have nightmares of moving dots around....i HATE shape animation

Shredder565

Post by Shredder565 » 15 Sep 2017, 21:00

Midway point of Act 2 reached. hoping tohave most of it finished by monday. then a little modeling break before act 3.