Comments on work in progress
Shredder565

TMNT Complete Episode Work/Image Thread

Post by Shredder565 » 02 Jan 2012, 23:40

UPDATE - FINAL URLS
Big Rip Off

A Thing About Rats

Big Break In

Since I can't log in ot XSI Base anymore, and neither can anyone else, figured I'd put this here....

The goal for this project is simple: How tough would it be for one un-trained person to re-create an entire episode of animation,
and how good could it look?

This was my first very bad and quick attempt at testing the waters with an intro recreation...Even I agree it's crap :)

We got the second from scratch recreation of the introduction done last year. Now, the goal is to block out the first 7 minutes with rough shots..
and then look for advice on how to improve things shot by shot so it matches, as close as possible, the original animation. We are not trying to improve,
alter, or otherwise George Lucas the show. Just re-create what is already on the screen :)..

Enjoy!

(Moderator edit: embedded the vimeo video using our "vim" tags - HB)
Last edited by Shredder565 on 23 Apr 2019, 16:08, edited 6 times in total.

shadow_ex_

Re: 2D-CGI Ninja Turtles - complete episode

Post by shadow_ex_ » 03 Jan 2012, 08:11

brings back a lot of memories :)
nice work as well

my only critic
is that april's face is not very smooth
and some animations needs polishing :)

other than that great work :D ;)

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 03 Jan 2012, 15:16

Fascinating endeavor... Nicely executed (some nit picking aside)!!!
Could you tell us more about the "making of" of your version?
;)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

Shredder565

Post by Shredder565 » 03 Jan 2012, 19:04

I had a whole bunch of development pictures posted over at XSI base. I'll post a few of the better ones here later.

Suffice to say, the short version :). I went to a scam school called Katherin Gibbs college. Scam, because they kept on wanting more money and gave none of us a certificate or diploma, claiming our grades where not good enough (despite 'report card') saying otherwise. But, it did introduce me to 3D Max 2.5. I started the model learning process then in 1999. Eventually, two programs and 8 years later (from animation Master 2005 to SoftImage) I grew tired of modelling and wanted to try some animation.

Doing some quick shorts, I decided to try something a bit more ambitious, even though the shorts didn't turn out very good, and that was this. When Nickelodeon announced their CGI Turtle series a while back, and knowing that I was probably one of the first to try and create the Turtles in 3D, it seemed fitting that I try and re-create an entire episode myself..and hopefully have it online by the time Nick's new show premiers....

That's the brain storming behind it, I'll post some pictures next ).

Shredder565

Post by Shredder565 » 03 Jan 2012, 19:19

The very First attempt at Krang in 1999, using max 2.5 and other programs down the years..

The Very first version of the turtles in 1999, using max. Other versions follow...

The very first Technodrome....

And these are some older development shots from last year :) you can see a few more from the evolution, or de-evlotuion of my skill over at http://www.flickr.com/photos/youtubenei ... 491617416/:)..

Shredder565

Post by Shredder565 » 03 Jan 2012, 19:28

The current Shredder and Krang

The current Bebop and Rocksteady

The current Turtle

The current april

and the current Technodrome

Shredder565

Post by Shredder565 » 13 Jan 2012, 20:41

Trying to get motivated to get the first act break finished by March. Only three minutes left to go. Then I'll either plow on with finishing the rest in rough form, or go back and try and fix what's there...

Already got the layout for scene 031 done...

Shredder565

Post by Shredder565 » 05 Feb 2012, 22:13

Trying to Refine the Turtle model even more....looks a little better

ace63

Post by ace63 » 06 Feb 2012, 00:09

Nice that you keep going and going - I'm watching your progress :)

Shredder565

Post by Shredder565 » 18 Feb 2012, 23:57

In order to keep focus going on one item or another, I've decided to take a different tact. For scenes with animation, I'm going to just focus on that. For establishing shots such as above, I'm going to try and re-create the background as close as possible.

I feel this is a better way at trying to get rough shots for this episode done and have it look as good as possible...

I wish there was some place I could safely upload then delete a model file so folks could take a look at it to see what can be improved for animation purposes. I'm using the basic skeleton rig, and controling all limbs from the moveable square controls.

Shredder565

Post by Shredder565 » 19 Feb 2012, 19:41

finished background for scene 040

Shredder565

Post by Shredder565 » 19 Feb 2012, 20:06

as ready as I can make him for his closeup

myara

Post by myara » 26 Feb 2012, 04:57

It seems you had put a lot of effort there. Have you done everything by yourself?

But why are the colors so weird? so CGA like? Why don't you use yellow? everything is green lime.

A few suggestions:

Rendering an outline with low poly doesn't look good, try a high poly rendering. And the line stroke seems a little fat.

You also have some anatomy problems in the characters. I suggest to review April and Shredder's upper body. And Splinter's human version proportions too. His arms are too short and his head is too big.

For example, give more volume to April's hips, increase her hands size, reduce her shoulders width, her neck base is a little too fat on the base, and put more detail in her clavicles and neck. Her head is a little too rounded too, you could make her jaw a little more "V" like, and her eyes distance is a little wide.

And if you want to make an almost exact reproduction then you should match your camera angles and timings to the original.

In CG we are accustomed to only rotate / translate objects. But in animation you deform the entire object to give it more dynamic. So you could experiment with this too. Use scale in your controllers, add some Lattice for easy - fast solutions like the scene where the machine explodes you could make it bulb in the middle before the explosion to give it a more cartoon like feeling.

An example would be latest Naruto Ultimate Storm games. CyberConnect2 did, I mean, is doing an explendid work with the anime-like deformation (with a 3DSMax plugin) where the the bones increase their size and length. It is so good that a non-trained eye could mistake it for a 2D real anime.
M.Yara
Character Modeler | Softimage Generalist (sort of)

Shredder565

Post by Shredder565 » 26 Feb 2012, 23:22

myara wrote:It seems you had put a lot of effort there. Have you done everything by yourself?
Yep, it's an un-trained one man operation :). trying to do the job of what would normally take about 200 people to accomplish :)

But why are the colors so weird? so CGA like? Why don't you use yellow? everything is green lime.
I am color blind :). I try to match things as close as I can see them, but without taking skin samples direct from the show, and having about 200 of those lying around, it's sort of hit and miss...
A few suggestions:

Rendering an outline with low poly doesn't look good, try a high poly rendering. And the line stroke seems a little fat.
I'm always amazed at how Futurama gets their outlines so well done...the either don't render them out, or they have another method of doing it...cause I can't get close to that level of correct detail :)..
You also have some anatomy problems in the characters. I suggest to review April and Shredder's upper body. And Splinter's human version proportions too. His arms are too short and his head is too big.
I've noticed this as well. I've been using the default proportions of their 'man' character and biped setup, and one would assume those would be close to correct, but obviously not!
For example, give more volume to April's hips, increase her hands size, reduce her shoulders width, her neck base is a little too fat on the base, and put more detail in her clavicles and neck. Her head is a little too rounded too, you could make her jaw a little more "V" like, and her eyes distance is a little wide.
A few more minor changes to April, and something like this?
And if you want to make an almost exact reproduction then you should match your camera angles and timings to the original.
I've tried that for a few scenes....I can't seem to get exact angles and timing down, so it's matched as closely as possible....

Shredder565

Post by Shredder565 » 01 Mar 2012, 03:49

Donatello, April and Splinter have skins from the actual show, the other turtles do not.. which look better?

Shredder565

Post by Shredder565 » 09 Mar 2012, 23:53

'The entire nation is in a panic, as Vernon Fenwick gets created in the CGI world..'