3delight tests

Plugins linking to this thread: (hide)

Blob StrokesAuthor: Anto Matkovic
Here's a small ICE compound used to generate these 'blob-strokes'. I had something like this before, but I really wasn't so excited by the speed of generation. Now with 3delight, it's definitely feasible, updates are performed immediately. The compound creates particles on curve list, evenly distributed, count is relative to particular sub-curve length (still, you'll need to take care of curve re-parametrization). It's also able to perform 'write on' on one-after-another subcurve (by sub-curve, or normalized by sub-curve length). In short, you can 'draw' 3d strokes with it, by animating the slider value. There are a few additional parameters. [..] contd. under si-community link

local backup: Emit Blobs From CurveList.xsicompound
3DelightAuthor: dna research
v4.0.41 updated Feb 21st 2015. 3Delight is a fast, high quality, RenderMan®-compliant renderer designed to produce photo-realistic images in demanding production environments. The renderer was introduced to the public in the year 2000 after being used for more than a year as the sole renderer in a sister production company. It is now widely used and earning a reputation as a benchmark in rendering technology. [..] (cont'd on product page)

DNA research recently released the 4.0.41 upgrade along with making the free license now support up to 8-core CPUs. Highlights from the changelog: Volumetric Smoke and Shards Any shader as light source projection Exposure, Gamma Controls Mesh Light support ESC to stop render. Last year's big 4.0 update introduced features such as: support for deep EXR files Native MARI textures support Improved sampling of environment maps Added the physically plausible 3Delight Material "Continuous rendering" is now enabled by default Up to x2 acceleration in hair/fur rendering Memory usage is down 30% when using the path tracer Skin shader for 3Delight for Softimage Motion Map property is now supported

A list of movie project rendered with the 3Delight renderer. As mentioned the product is free of charge for the first 8-core license. Additional quad-core licenses are available for 400$ each and unlimited multi-core licenses for 900$ each. Yearly support and updates 190$/290$ resp.

Comments on work in progress
Mathaeus

Re: 3delight tests

Post by Mathaeus » 22 May 2011, 18:24

I've already posted some point-based hair renders in this thread, but for these, I've hacked appropriate sl files to get it properly - now it's available for everyone. Generally, point-based approach seems to be much slower (even I didn't bothered that much with tweaking of this).

Only for hairs and a white lambert on character, mentioned setup renders in about five minutes with 2 core 3delight, on 1536x2048, together with shadow map generation. BTW that's a lighting setup for entire character. For hair only, I'd would go with much less than 20, having a much more room to avoid the flicker.

What I didn't want to bother people at Area, it's a huge influence of hair density, ways of interpolation, that only ICE can handle effectively. Especially for short hair-fur, not big deal to create some kind of signed distance field, or shading transfer entirely with ICE. Unfortunately, I didn't found a way for packing that 'ICE lighting' in ready-to-use public compound.

afaik, there is much more to come (even for SI users :) ), related to hair/fur in 3delight, but I think there is no sense to talk about in advance.

cheers

j3st3r

Post by j3st3r » 23 May 2011, 09:49

Hey Mathaeus.,

That looks really awesome. Can you tell me how did you set up SSS? For me it doesn't want to work, there's a quite large difference between MR's SSS and 3delight SSS. I figured out that it's some kind of issue with scaling, but not sure

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 23 May 2011, 20:27

j3st3r wrote:Hey Mathaeus.,

That looks really awesome. Can you tell me how did you set up SSS? For me it doesn't want to work, there's a quite large difference between MR's SSS and 3delight SSS. I figured out that it's some kind of issue with scaling, but not sure
Hi Jester,

I know you know this, 3delight just emulates the mi_sss_fast stuff, internally that's a different shader, with ability to do a color variance by itself. If you'll get the same result in every condition, that would be miracle, I think.
How does it match the scaling of subsurface effect, it seems it's defined in "misss_fast_shader.sl" in RSL folder (I know you're coder too :) ).
You'll find the code about scaling somewhere after "uniform float scale = i_scale;"... Before this, there's what shader is doing in subsurface precomputing phase ....., after this, there are subsurface scattering parameters.

What final result (in 3delight) you'll want for for human skin at 1SI Unit= 10cm, it seems to be something around 0.012 - 0.016. I got this value from hillybilly test by xsi base member kissb, it worked nicely for me too.

For this image, I've used something from my kitchen, what you'll already get by applying a 3dl subsurface attributes to object with any standard XSI shader, but with two modifications: shading in precomputing phase is changed to 'all direction' ( Nn instead of default Nf), and ability to multiply the scattering by color/texture. As it is for now, it looks like a good old Diffusion or Md SubScatter - just one layer, back-scattering is not so pronounced. Preset is "Skin2". Even it works nicely, I have no idea does it cause problems somewhere else.

Cheers

j3st3r

Post by j3st3r » 24 May 2011, 11:46

Thanks Mathaeus,

I still struggle with it, for some reasons, playing with the SSS parameters seems to produce bit "unpredictable" results...Interesting that using the fast skin seems to be OK is, but again, the scale issue...But the hair rendering, is sooo nice in 3dl, so I'll try my best to figure out a proper sss to me...

j3st3r

Post by j3st3r » 25 May 2011, 09:32

Hey Mathaeus,

How do you render eyes? The usual setup seems to be not working, I used to have a separate object for the cornea, with transparency and reflection, and an object for the white part and iris, etc. Now when I render it, it's black...

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 25 May 2011, 18:36

j3st3r wrote:Hey Mathaeus,

How do you render eyes? The usual setup seems to be not working, I used to have a separate object for the cornea, with transparency and reflection, and an object for the white part and iris, etc. Now when I render it, it's black...
Separate objects, no shadow casting for both.
What you posted on 3dl forums, looks like too high ray trace bias. Default is 0.01, I think. You could set this to 0.001. Once shadows will come, you'll probably want to apply the 'hit mode' property, set this to 'use material for shadow ray', plug something into shadow port. For deep shadow maps, appropriate option in global render options.

j3st3r

Post by j3st3r » 26 May 2011, 09:42

Thanks for the tips, I've tried them, but no success...seems that 3.0.8 is buggy a bit

ActionArt

Post by ActionArt » 26 May 2011, 20:00

Mathaeus wrote: now a shameless plug (but somehow I'm not sure how many SI-community visits the Area too :) ) - latest image is on Area front page for a while.
Congrats on that! Well deserved! :D

caledonian_tartan

Post by caledonian_tartan » 14 Jun 2011, 10:44

just as a late question:

what are deep shadow maps?
is it the same like shadow maps, which are in the rendersettings?
SI 2015 @ WIN7-64

rray

Post by rray » 14 Jun 2011, 11:21

Good job!

Shadow map = 2 color-only shadow map, no transparency
Deep shadow map = Pixar's original "with tranparency" shadow map format (pdf)
Detail shadow map = mental image's version of deep shadow maps
Volume shadow map = Softimage's GUI name for MR detail shadow map
softimage resources section updated Jan 5th 2024

caledonian_tartan

Post by caledonian_tartan » 14 Jun 2011, 11:39

hey thanks! (and good job too for the area post!)
i don't find a way to activate deep shadow maps in 3delight...
it should be possible, but i don't find something in the docs nor the ppg of 3delights render settings...

using the maps in the shadow maps tab renders for ages...
SI 2015 @ WIN7-64

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 14 Jun 2011, 20:09

caledonian_tartan wrote: i don't find a way to activate deep shadow maps in 3delight...
it should be possible, but i don't find something in the docs nor the ppg of 3delights render settings...
Hi,

you enable the deep shadow maps in the same way as with Mental Ray, in Shadow Map tab of light's PPG. For colored deep shadow map, procedure is:
1: in global render options, under Shadow Maps, enable 'Surface' for shadow map shaders
2: apply a 3delight's 'Hit Mode' property to object or group, set 'Run Material' for Shadow Rays
3: put something into the shadow slot in rendertree, let's say Color_Save_State, or Constant material.

cheers

TwinSnakes007

Need help getting started

Post by TwinSnakes007 » 15 Jun 2011, 16:02

I'm really having a hard time getting my head around 3Delight rendering. Are there any tutorials or can someone provide a scene I can study?

Thanks.

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 15 Jun 2011, 16:09

There is an older tutorial series made by "Chinny" (Jason Brynford-Jones) from Softimage, but he uses XSI 6.5 and an older version of 3Delight for Softimage as well. Still worth watching as a basic introduction IMHO
;)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

jgjones

Post by jgjones » 21 Jul 2011, 02:41

Mathaeus wrote:CSG

This is a render-time CSG ( constructive solid geometry, Boolean operations ).
Speaking of CSG... anyone know if there is a trick to getting it to work right, beyond the description in the user manual? When I set up a simple test, with two intersecting spheres, (sphere B has the 3Delight CSG property, set to subtract, and is a child of sphere A), the "cut" surface will only respond to ambient light (no shading), and is controlled by sphere B's material.

I'm using SI 2012 SP1 (64-bit) and 3Delight 3.0.11

-Jim

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 21 Jul 2011, 11:25

jgjones wrote:
Speaking of CSG... anyone know if there is a trick to getting it to work right, beyond the description in the user manual? When I set up a simple test, with two intersecting spheres, (sphere B has the 3Delight CSG property, set to subtract, and is a child of sphere A), the "cut" surface will only respond to ambient light (no shading), and is controlled by sphere B's material.

I'm using SI 2012 SP1 (64-bit) and 3Delight 3.0.11

-Jim
Hi,

as far as I can recall (didn't played with CSG since this scene), setting XSI geo approx to more than zero, or using a Renderman subdivs ( 'smooth subdivision threshold' on zero), made it to work as expected.
Anyway, here is the thread in 3delight forum, about CSG and related stuff. There is also a link to XSI model I've created for these CSG renders.

cheers