Softimage and Thea Render

Comments on work in progress
scaron

Re: Softimage and Thea Render

Post by scaron » 13 Mar 2013, 21:35

just so we are clear... thea render doesn't support deformation motion blur, not that the plugin doesn't support it. ;)

SamHowell

Post by SamHowell » 03 Apr 2013, 12:43

I havn't had much of chance to use Thea lately so it's nice to get back into it.

Time for some abstract, motion-graphic type stuff. This is a quick and simple render of an ICE experiment I did a while ago. There is a little bit of flicker on the black cones which I think is caused by something changing as they grow, not sure what. Nothing to do with Thea.

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 03 Apr 2013, 17:02

So,

could you say a bit more about render times, what method you were used (I think there is some interpolated radiosity, beside path tracing). In any case, I think I must have this renderer too :)

SamHowell

Post by SamHowell » 03 Apr 2013, 18:37

Mathaeus wrote:So,

could you say a bit more about render times, what method you were used (I think there is some interpolated radiosity, beside path tracing). In any case, I think I must have this renderer too :)
Yeah, all the animations on this thread are path-traced unbiased renders. Thea is not not GPU enhanced (yet) so these are obviously quite slow. The Cone Grow animation was around 30 minutes a frame.

Thea is a Hybrid engine so you can switch to a faster biased setup without changing your light setup or materials if required.