TD Python Tutorial?

Links and discussions concerning tutorials
Falam

Re: TD Python Tutorial?

Post by Falam » 30 Jul 2013, 01:28

csaez seems to point out there is an order to the SDK, is this set in stone, it would be helpful ?

myara

Post by myara » 30 Jul 2013, 13:53

I haven't bought Raffaele's Tutorial but I'm very interested.

This is my comparison about the 3 scripting languages.

Python
Is "the" scripting language to learn now. There are a lot of packages using Python so you could adapt your code to another software like Maya if you have to.
Photoshop and AE doesn't support it by default, but you can still workaround that.
It's probably the slowest when dealing with loops but you can optimize your code if you know your stuff.
The code is cleaner and faster to write when you are familiar with the language.
The error messages aren't very helpful. You'll only have red letters in your Script Editor that says "invalid syntax" or "unexpected EOF". VBS and JS are more friendly in this aspect.

I would pick this one. In fact I'm writing in Python when I can, but I'm still using JScript when I have to deal with complex stuff only because I'm more familiar with JS.

JScript
It was "the" scripting language to learn in SI some years ago. If you pick this one you'll probably have more samples and info about it. You may learn faster JS because of that, and like I was saying, the error messages are more helpful, a little more newbie friendly.
Good Python stuff may be a little more difficult to find, but the "library" out there is growing pretty fast.
Maya's mel is a little similar so you may be able to do some things in mel if you have to. It will still be painful.
It may help you if you do web stuff too.
I think the process is faster than Python, but Python may be faster to write due to it's syntax.
Helge Mathee did a video tutorial based on JS, I don't know if you can still buy it.

VBS
I wouldn't recommend it, but it may be the easiest to do simple things. I think it could be OK if you plan to stick with very simple things and want fast results.
When you try to write more complex stuff, it will be difficult to keep things in order.
The fastest when you have to deal with weights or things like that.
I use it sometimes when I have to deal with weights, vertex colors.
And also use it for Windows scripts (scripts to deal with files and directories and run from Windows Explorer) because it has an InputBox and MsgBox built in.
M.Yara
Character Modeler | Softimage Generalist (sort of)

Falam

Post by Falam » 30 Jul 2013, 16:02

myara wrote:I haven't bought Raffaele's Tutorial but I'm very interested.

This is my comparison about the 3 scripting languages.

Python
Is "the" scripting language to learn now. There are a lot of packages using Python so you could adapt your code to another software like Maya if you have to.
Photoshop and AE doesn't support it by default, but you can still workaround that.
It's probably the slowest when dealing with loops but you can optimize your code if you know your stuff.
The code is cleaner and faster to write when you are familiar with the language.
The error messages aren't very helpful. You'll only have red letters in your Script Editor that says "invalid syntax" or "unexpected EOF". VBS and JS are more friendly in this aspect.

I would pick this one. In fact I'm writing in Python when I can, but I'm still using JScript when I have to deal with complex stuff only because I'm more familiar with JS.

JScript
It was "the" scripting language to learn in SI some years ago. If you pick this one you'll probably have more samples and info about it. You may learn faster JS because of that, and like I was saying, the error messages are more helpful, a little more newbie friendly.
Good Python stuff may be a little more difficult to find, but the "library" out there is growing pretty fast.
Maya's mel is a little similar so you may be able to do some things in mel if you have to. It will still be painful.
It may help you if you do web stuff too.
I think the process is faster than Python, but Python may be faster to write due to it's syntax.
Helge Mathee did a video tutorial based on JS, I don't know if you can still buy it.

VBS
I wouldn't recommend it, but it may be the easiest to do simple things. I think it could be OK if you plan to stick with very simple things and want fast results.
When you try to write more complex stuff, it will be difficult to keep things in order.
The fastest when you have to deal with weights or things like that.
I use it sometimes when I have to deal with weights, vertex colors.
And also use it for Windows scripts (scripts to deal with files and directories and run from Windows Explorer) because it has an InputBox and MsgBox built in.
Heldge Mathee has moved to Python. I'd love to see his older JS tutorial, especially if he shows how to move around in the SDK, if he doesn't, I'd wouldn't mind seeing it. Your explanation was clear and helpful, what I took from it was, JS and Python are still both valid languages to learn and can be helpful in many situations Thank You

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 30 Jul 2013, 20:12

To which I want to add: make sure you only try to learn one scripting language. It doesn't really matter much which one you choose. Trying to learn more than one a a time would be extremely counterproductive and terribly confusing...
Stay safe, sane & healthy!