The missing tutorials thread

Links and discussions concerning tutorials
Rork

Re: The missing tutorials thread

Post by Rork » 13 Dec 2012, 10:05

Important question about these tutorials...

If people start making them, are other people willing to pay for them? Creating proper, organized training takes time.
SI UI tutorials: Toolbar http://goo.gl/iYOL0l | Custom Layout http://goo.gl/6iP5xQ | RenderManager View http://goo.gl/b4ZkjQ
So long, and thanks for all the Fish!!

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 13 Dec 2012, 10:26

@Rork - My idea wasn't for making commercial tutorials, but to catalog and possibly fill some gaps in the available tutorial offering by volunteering community members. My original idea, already dead, was to even make a "Community Tutorial Project" out of it, having "everybody" join in the "fun" of making them. If more commercial tutorials are inspired by this effort, however, I wouldn't necessarily mind, as long as the gaps are filled...
;)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

Bullit

Post by Bullit » 29 Dec 2012, 03:22

I am looking for an Autodesk tutorial/presentation of one version were there was made improvements in modeling. It had a boat sort of Noah ArK and animals.

Disregard i found it here:http://area.autodesk.com/blogs/marks/go ... _5_is_here

Kerro Perro

Post by Kerro Perro » 29 Dec 2012, 13:34

I may have missed this if there is one already but i would really like an in depth tutorial about normal, displacement and vector displacement mapping. I've found a lot of basic stuff out there but would really like to see someone tweak and troubleshoot those to get them "perfect"...

Bullit

Post by Bullit » 29 Dec 2012, 22:51

Maybe this will help:

Kerro Perro

Post by Kerro Perro » 30 Dec 2012, 15:14

Hmm that normal map one is better than i remember it - must try out all the steps in that - but the vdm one is kinda what i was talking about, it's only in mudbox and i followed it but get a lot distortion every time i export and render:
vdmcrap.jpg
And yeah i tried all the different settings in mudbox, it always comes out the same. Tried different sculpts too...
Also it only renders when i use "send to.." from mudbox, when i do it by hand as Manny suggests it doesn't do anything, no matter what geo approx settings i set...
I was gonna make a seperate thread out of this but i'd rather just have more in depth information about this subject - sort of a "teach a man to fish" idea ;)

Update: well i followed Manny's normal map tut and had a bunch of problems, i shall spare you all of this since i have no immediate plans to use any of this but they were commen ones like odd lines and artifacts that i've seen threads about here many times so i guess my requests still stands: more instruction/information on this would be a valueable addition i think.

Would gladly pay for it btw but it would have to be proper in depth, no "how to set your render tree" type stuff ;)

Bullit

Post by Bullit » 30 Dec 2012, 23:11

Maybe Manny went further already. PM him.

Kerro Perro

Post by Kerro Perro » 30 Dec 2012, 23:24

Nope, if he brings out a tut im sure itll be posted and im not looking for any personal guidance on this right now. As i said i dont have any plans for this atm.
This thread asked for suggestions on tut subjects - this is one i think would be good as i do see it come up a lot.

Thanks for trying to help tho ;)

minilogoguy18

Post by minilogoguy18 » 23 Jun 2020, 03:56

An old XSI Base tutorial made by the user that went by "everyFrame" for a really good foot roll setup no longer exists. Maybe he's on here or someone here knows him and can upload to youtube?