Proposal: Community Tutorial Project?

Links and discussions concerning tutorials
Mathaeus

Re: Proposal: Community Tutorial Project?

Post by Mathaeus » 03 Dec 2012, 23:01

a bit off topic, anyway perhaps is interesting, where is so nicely organized Houdini exchange site today, about half year after start. If I'm correct, almost in same place.

btw I think I have a few ICE tricks, easy to put into small tutorials, but first I'll need to check out is it something similar already published, somewhere.

rray

Post by rray » 04 Dec 2012, 02:55

Good idea, this would be a site I'd spend a lot of time on.

Here is an early predecessor of rray.de (from 2006), I planed it as a full online school with video tutorials, media resources, references etc., maybe commercial.
But was a bit overambitious so it never came to be.

For what it's worth, I can offer the php framework of that site to anyone who'd like to create this tutorial site.
softimage resources section updated Jan 5th 2024

Nick3d

Post by Nick3d » 04 Dec 2012, 09:55

AceMastermind wrote:
Nick3d wrote:From what I've seen there are on youtube ( AceMastermind for example ) really good tutorials...but the organization is not that good...I mean, have a list with the tutorials is usefull, but I would suggest to have something more specific, like a brief description ( with keywords ) of the tutorial itself, so anyone that goes into the tutorial page in here with a Ctrl+F could easily find what he's looking for.
The organization where, YouTube or on this forum? Are you suggesting that I go back and add further descriptions and keywords to 1017 videos? The titles of the videos already provide the brief description and keyword, both here and on YouTube. If someone doesn't know what a word in the title means then they can just look it up in the docs.
Yeah, Monday is not a creative day for me :D

Beside that I appreciate really much the tutorials available, but as I said a complete, full, professional tutorial ( or series of tutorials ) made by professionals in order to better understand whats going on behind a project and to learn lots of tricks

I would be very pleased to see something like a digitaltutors website, where you have everything well organized, divided by categories and well explained, but yes, it takes lots of time and its not so easy to do...

Hopefully someone will make an effort and build something that can be usefull to everyone, who knows

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 04 Dec 2012, 10:24

Wow, this thread has veered off course somewhat! It quickly became obvious that my initial proposal for a Community Tutorial Project wouldn’t work (at least not in the way I envisioned it). But still, figuring out, what tutorials are missing and even having some volunteers to try and fill some of the gaps, would be nice too. As to organizing the tutorials better, I’m all for it. Anyone with any good suggestions as to reorganizing our own tutorials section efficiently (as in: not too much work to achieve now and not too much work to maintain), feel free to speak up.
The same obviously goes for methodically cataloging the existing tutorials, in a new site or here. You’re more than welcome to try, but I promise you, you’re in for a lot of work beforehand and maintaining the resulting database will give you a lot of work afterwards also. Projects like that tend to die slow and painful deaths (with a few notable exceptions).
But in the end that way not a single new tutorial gets made, which was part of the point I originally was trying to make. And to reiterate that original point, I wanted to make a community effort (“Project”) to get as many people as possible into the fine art of tutorial making, so that filling the gaps in the existing tutorial offering would be something “we” would do “ourselves”, more than just a small group of volunteers. But like I said, that was a bit too optimistic…
:-
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

EricTRocks

Post by EricTRocks » 08 Dec 2012, 23:04

I think we need to open a thread on the tutorials people are looking for. The organization will need to take a back seat to the actual creation of them.

I've toyed with the idea of opening XSIDatabase back up but solely as a tutorial database / directory of links so that it can be searchable. However, it will be a lot of work and I would not want to do it unless I had another 5 people helping out.
Eric Thivierge
Lead Kraken Developer, Fabric Engine
http://fabric-engine.github.io/Kraken

gustavoeb

Post by gustavoeb » 09 Dec 2012, 23:19

Hey Eric, Im up to it. I think I can commit a couple of hours per week on this from January and forward...

Lets see if others want to engage...

I wish the best on the requests thread, hope people keep it realistic. Doing compelling project based tutorials is very time consuming, maybe the initiative can be more succesful if tutorials are short topic based. Much like Paul Smiths stuff
Gustavo Eggert Boehs
Blog: http://www.gustavoeb.com.br/

antsjoe

Post by antsjoe » 10 Dec 2012, 01:09

Eric,

What skills/abilities are you looking for in the 5 or so persons to help out on the Soft Image Database?

aj

EricTRocks

Post by EricTRocks » 10 Dec 2012, 01:24

haha, no real other qualifications other than just being able to use web forms, find tutorials. I'll be setting up the backend. Really if you know how to post to a blog / forum you've got the skills. :D

Moderator edit: I moved colour's tutorial request to the new The missing tutorials thread - HB
Eric Thivierge
Lead Kraken Developer, Fabric Engine
http://fabric-engine.github.io/Kraken