"Great Works" sub-forum?

Discussions about si-community.com. You can post here as a guest.
Hirazi Blue
Administrator

"Great Works" sub-forum?

Post by Hirazi Blue » 11 Feb 2014, 11:59

As I see it, as a member of this community, not necessarily as an Administrator here, the “Great Works” thread has one severe limitation in that there isn’t really any room for discussion about the presented works. Purely highlighting these “Great Works” hardly seems all that much fun, as we are a forum, a place intended for discussion and we should IMHO embrace this “special quality”. So my proposal would be to close the “Great Works” thread, open a new sub-forum also called “Great Works”, where one can post "Great Works” in new separate threads, opening up the possibility of others to comment on the work that has been posted and to hopefully get some discussion going.
But this being a discussion forum, I’d really like your opinions on this first...
@-)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

rray

Re: "Great Works" sub-forum?

Post by rray » 11 Feb 2014, 14:07

Hi Hirazi!
My little "fear" is that without having thumbnails on the individual threads a lot more explorative clicking is needed with that format, so overall lower visibilty of the works & possibly less participation.
Of course this theory could be tested by trying, we could always go back to the 1-thread form if it gets slower.
-rr
softimage resources section updated Jan 5th 2024

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 11 Feb 2014, 18:46

@rray - Thanks for your one and only reply so far.
You're right, there is definitively a risk of less participation. The upside, however, could be, that you could "bundle" all videos (trailers/making of's and what not) of one production in this one single thread and include links to possible written publications related to the specific "Great Work". Case in point: the "Lego Movie". The trailer ended up in the "Great Work" thread and so did the "making of". But there has been some written stuff on the same movie, that just doesn't belong in the "Great Work" thread, but might have ended up, over time (with the trailer and the "making of") in a dedicated thread in a "Great Work" sub-forum.

rray

Post by rray » 11 Feb 2014, 20:47

Extracting posts to their own thread would work, but then we'd be in a position where we'd have to decide which works "deserve" their own thread.. difficult..

(The Lego movie seems to be a huge success btw - congrats to everyone involved!!!)
softimage resources section updated Jan 5th 2024

Draise

Post by Draise » 11 Feb 2014, 21:06

I agree on the proposal, a main thread with the videos and posts with links to sub threads in a showcase area for discussion, project showcase specific threads with extra links, screens, breakdowns, praise, etc.

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 11 Feb 2014, 23:54

I probably should have made this clearer: it wasn't my intention to extract posts from the existing thread, it was in fact my intention to close the original thread altogether and replace it with the sub-forum.

EricTRocks

Post by EricTRocks » 12 Feb 2014, 01:35

I think we should have the main thread and sub-threads automatically created for each post created. Not sure how possible it is, but that would be my vote.
Eric Thivierge
Lead Kraken Developer, Fabric Engine
http://fabric-engine.github.io/Kraken

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 12 Feb 2014, 11:05

Automating the process of creating new threads, while possibly technically doable (but given the state of our forum software I seriously doubt it), wouldn’t be fun to implement and would be prone to disaster I’m afraid, as you’d have to “teach” the system to ignore certain posts and it wouldn’t be able to ascertain which post would belong to which thread.
That's why I wanted to place the decision making process (as to the spawning of new threads and the posting of follow-ups) in the hands of the members, while the moderating team simply would keep on doing what it always does.
I thank you all for your feedback. It’s back to the drawing board, I guess. Or maybe it’s best to shelve it altogether, as it was meant for a system that sort of works as is and the old adage “if it ain’t broke…” probably applies.
;)

Draise

Post by Draise » 12 Feb 2014, 16:42

Oh.......... Dont give up. I'm a bit new to the forums, but I follow softimage.tv a lot. And I like your proposition.

Not sure about automation when it comes to art....
I do like the proposition of a setup for the "great work" section with threads, would be a great idea.. Similar to the "finished artwork" section...

Maybe just putting what is there already to the new "great work" section to individual threads can be a good starter.

Later the whole classifying new great artwork could be in the guidelines thread and can be submitted by users or submitted to a suggestions thread, then approved and posted by someone else later.

Maybe just refurbishing the "finished artwork" section to contain a new set of guidelines..... Or porting each "good work" to their respective thread in that already existing section, with full credit of course ... That could be more viable.

I wouldn't delete what is there, just document or better and make it more interactive for the user base. Then I'd delete that thread. =p