Tapatalk talk thread

Discussions about si-community.com. You can post here as a guest.
gustavoeb

Re: Tapatalk talk thread

Post by gustavoeb » 09 Jan 2013, 20:24

luceric: bad to hear that. Taptalk starts up in a interface with 3 tabs: Not readed, All, Participade. They are all sorted by activity, find it quite handy. It also does not reflect the look of the site, which dosent bother me, as long it has a nice interface... My only complaint about how it works is that it does not cache stuff, like Gmail app does on Android, so it has to reload stuff everytime :p

Now that Im back to the desktop, let me test code tag:

Code: Select all

def test():
  print(test)
Gustavo Eggert Boehs
Blog: http://www.gustavoeb.com.br/

gustavoeb

Post by gustavoeb » 09 Jan 2013, 20:26

Ok my bad, aparently the code tag does work. Maybe it has been updated, maybe my memory fails me...
Hirazi Blue wrote:Does this apply to our VIM tags as well?
Yes, it does, and it works on my smartphone at least...
Gustavo Eggert Boehs

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 10 Jan 2013, 11:18

This whole mobile device access conundrum is starting to quite literally give me a headache. We all knew, Tapatalk was an acceptable solution at best, not an ideal one: it not being free for one and it not preserving the look and feel of our little community being the main reasons for this. It seems that the free alternative, Convo, isn’t really a serious alternative either, but again I can’t judge this for myself, lacking any mobile device to try this all on.

Personally, I was planning to introduce an alternative way for mobile device access, that would at least solve the first problem, it being absolutely free, but still not tackling the second problem, preserving the look and feel of our little community. As I still haven’t found the time to discuss this solution with “upper management” (i.e. Owei), I do not want to say too much about it just yet, so I don’t know if you’ll ever see this alternative or not. Early days…
(I’m under a NDO here – “Not Discussed with Owei” :D )

One thing I can say, however, although is not necessarily the si-community POV, merely my own, that we all must remember one thing, as far as I’m concerned. This is a community created and “optimized” (ha!) for usage through “regular” desktop browsers. Mobile device access is a bit of an afterthought and is provided NOT as a true alternative to using "regular" desktop browsers, but as a way to help out users who occasionally have to revert to these mobile devices. Our little community isn’t some weird, highly adaptable, “view anywhere, with anything” kind of website and probably won’t turn into one on anytime soon. The fact that the solutions on offer lack the preferred look and feel of our little community on a mobile device is too bad really, but not necessarily something we can spend too much time to fix (even if we could) for exactly that reason (“we’re primarily a ‘desktop’ community!” IMHO)
;)

PS @gustavoeb: thanks for clearing that up!
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

luceric

Post by luceric » 10 Jan 2013, 11:40

the website is fine on mobile except for one thing, it's very hard and frustrating to go the last page of the thread because of that damn tiny page number link. This is the same problem on every forums, like cgtalk, where you need to click, for example a four pixel wide "2". It's insanely stupid that there is no "last" link or that clicking the thread name doesn't automatically go to the last page. everything else is fine. this is also a problem on the iPad.

luceric

Post by luceric » 12 Jan 2013, 17:56

I probably ran into a glitch with convo marking everything read, because it's fine now. or maybe it was scared by the new blue theme

gustavoeb

Post by gustavoeb » 24 Dec 2013, 15:40

Taptalk has a free version, in case anyone still cares. It sports all features of previously paid version, no adds, and it is quite good I must add.
Gustavo Eggert Boehs

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 24 Dec 2013, 17:19

Thanks for the heads-up. This is actually good news and might help improve the usage statistics of this service we've been providing. To commemorate this "momentous" occassion (and the fact that I'm now actually truly testing it on my tablet for the first time), I went ahead and updated our forum plugin to the latest version...
:ymparty:

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 25 Dec 2013, 13:52

Now that I've had the time to look at the free Tapatalk client, I must actually say I’m impressed. So far I had only played with the free Convo client, but Tapatalk definitively is way better. Having said that: I will probably not be using it often, as Tapatalk is very much geared towards the so-called end-user and doesn’t cater to the specific needs of a moderator or administrator of a forum, as both the Moderator Control Panel as the Administrator Control Panel are inaccessible from within the app (or I just haven't figured out how to get to them). Which is a shame, as this means I have to go the browser anyway to do certain tasks, making it way less attractive for me to use Tapatalk in the first place… But from an end-user perspective this is something I now (that it's free) can wholeheartedly recommend. The only real quirk is the Smiley system.
You can't access our specific and very important :o3 Smiley for instance...

gustavoeb

Post by gustavoeb » 25 Dec 2013, 18:00

There are some moderator features. As I don't use moderator powers often I don't know if they cover all your needs... but here they are
Attachments
uploadfromtaptalk1387990815159.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1387990799779.jpg
Gustavo Eggert Boehs

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 25 Dec 2013, 18:02

Thanks, must obviously delve a bit deeper. Now if only I could access the Administrator Control Panel as well.
But that's the one you probable won't even be able to see anyway(?), so you probably can't help me there...
:D

gustavoeb

Post by gustavoeb » 25 Dec 2013, 19:17

True stuff
Gustavo Eggert Boehs