pb_BendSet

Plugins linking to this thread: (hide)

pb_BendSetAuthor: Pedro Alpiarça dos Santos
A very versatile bend compound that can do bend, a lathe, taper, shear, twist, etc.

Demonstrated here. You can also find a lot of information in the si-community thread linked below.

Make sure to look at Pedro's TD reel Nodal Setups and Utilities Reel 2015.

local backup: pb_BendSet.xsicompoundp bend_DemoScene_2014_web.scn

probiner

Re: pb_BendSet

Post by probiner » 01 Oct 2015, 03:37

Hi FX Dude.

For the gradient. No unfortunately a gradient is not the best way to "draw" a shape, but cause you have 0 control over the interpolation. So if you have two keys only you get sort of a plateu spline interpolation, but if you have 4 like in your image this is what looks like:

While you can have a curve that does the same you can't have a gradient doing the same as a curve, especially if you don't have handle controls per key or parameters like TCB.

Well indeed i could use a technique I found out with the help of pooby, of generating 2 big sample arrays, on the input array, the other the solution array, so basically a lookup table where you find the closest value in the input array and return the value with the same index in the solution array. But that requires you to compromise precision, plus this was for code, so I wasn't interested in have 2 huge lists in python to do that, plus the list values are fixed. So, bahhh :D

Anyways I do wish for a more "drawing" ability to control the falloff. IF this was only a modeling tool I would have slapped the profile curve without a problem.

Thanks for the kind remarks man :) Always welcome, especially when one is looking for a job :P

Thanks for the discussion and sorry for the very late reply.

probiner

Post by probiner » 11 Oct 2015, 10:19

Today was working a bit of code that touched thisa and thought it would be nice share.

So the fallofs compound are like curve filters. I put in x and I get out y. The issue with Bezier Interpolation is thar you are not putting in x but t and getting x and y in return. So you have to do a search for the x you would normally use and after the search is done return the matching y. Otherwise with a straight use of blerp, you're not just changing just a specific coordinate or plane but all coordinates as (t) has no ties to x and y, as you actually get both coordinates outputing curves if (t) is a linear array:

The search part can be avoided if you do a 3D surface and raycast on the Y axis. But it's not as clean as a self contained compound.

Cheers

FXDude

Post by FXDude » 12 Oct 2015, 17:22

Hi sorry I missed your post, indeed pretty neat for arbitrary and animatable curve profiles, congratz! :ymcowboy: