@Thomas: Hi, this is very strange, I couldn't get to work either. How did you tested this on the simple ice cloud ?
I tried to achieve this with 3 scenarios:
1) point cloud with 2 "add point" nodes, one with particles set to: shape=cylinder, size=0.1 and another with: shape=segment, size=10. Both have a "Create Strands" node connected to the "on creation" port. Right from this simple setup I'm not able to get the segment to render if the first particle has a shape other than "segment" itself or "point".
2) same as above, but the shapes are both cylinder (different state_id on each add point node). From this I did like you: if state_id greater than x, change shape, size and strandsize. interesting enough, this gives me inconsistent results for each of the comparision types:
- equal to, less than, less than or equal to - WORKS
- not equal to, greater than, greater than or equal to - DOES NOT WORK (only the cylinder strands show up on render)
strange is that the viewport is changing correctly, but the render is not.
3) using emit from source instead of add point node, to check if it was something related to init attributes set inside the emitter compound, then doing the same "if state_id = x ...bla bla bla" as before. result: same inconsistency with the comparision node. this is really weird.
SOLUTION: as it looks like a bug, the only solution I've found is to get a second point cloud, plug clone point node (source=first cloud, target=self, delete source if cloned=true), and do the if statements you like to enable the cloning. this worked fine no matter what comparision type I used. attached a pic showing the ice tree:
File comment: Ice tree - clone point
icetree.jpg [ 58.57 KiB | Viewed 1402 times ]
(by the way, testing on SI 2010 sp1 here)
@Reinhard: very clever!! I think this setup could fit right inside the emit branches compound on the next version release. What do you think about this being default? Also nice image you have there, lots of strands going on the last iterations huh? (looks like hair). are you rendering with sss or it's just a impression ?