am Ghosting Trails Compound by Anto Matkovic

Plugins linking to this thread: (hide)

Ghosting TrailsAuthor: Anto Matkovic
am Ghosting Trails compound is an animation utility, that display motion trails behind animated objects. Advantage over standard Softimage's animation ghosting is speed - even with a huge number of objects, impact to playback speed is minimal. Disadvantage is that is able to display the only already evaluated motion, also it has fewer number of options.

See the si-community discussion for more information and screenshots.

local backup: am Ghosting Trails.xsicompound

owei
Administrator

am Ghosting Trails Compound by Anto Matkovic

Post by owei » 27 Sep 2009, 13:56

am Ghosting Trails compound is an animation utility, that display motion trails behind animated objects. Advantage over standard Softimage's animation ghosting is speed - even with a huge number of objects, impact to playback speed is minimal. Disadvantage is that is able to display the only already evaluated motion, also it has fewer number of options.

Usage: create empty point cloud, add simulated ICE tree, import Ghosting Trails compound, connect the group of objects for motion trail display. If you don't want to see trails, just hide the point cloud.

Direct download can be found here:
http://www.si-community.com/download/co ... Trails.zip

Regards,
Anto Matkovic

Joseg

Re: am Ghosting Trails Compound by Anto Matkovic

Post by Joseg » 29 Sep 2009, 04:22

this is a great tool it saves time in animation so much thanks for the tool it is great work u are doing here once again thanks a million :ymhug:

Andr

Post by Andr » 05 Oct 2009, 01:56

realy cool tool! Tnx

slux

Post by slux » 13 Dec 2009, 14:02

This is really great, exactly what I have been looking for. I have tried XSI ghost trails but was missing option to see key frame positions. This solution is also indeed much faster than XSI native ghosting.
Thank you very much!

In case somebody has problems running it, here are some of my notes and tips:

1) Get -> Primitive -> Point Cloud
2) select it in Explorer and Alt+9 (ICE TREE)
3) Create -> Simulated ICE tree
4) Compounds -> Import compound and import ghosting trails compound
5) Crete empty Group in Explorer
6) In ICE tree: Nodes -> Data Access -> Get Data
7) Double click on it and click pick and pick Group
8) get Randomize Color by Gradient node, double click on it and turn off animated and plug it into color node for ghosting trails compound

- Now if you want some controler/object to have ghosting trails just add it to the group, if you want to turn it off for it, then just remove it from group

- That Randomize color by Gradient will randomly choose colors for individual objects. If you don't turn off animated, it will randomize colors every frame.

Tip: if you want to ghost some specific point, add null in your scene and position constrain it to something that you want it to follow. You could also use Object to cluster to constraint null to some geometry.
Then add it to the group. You can keep all your ghosting nulls under some other null so that is all in one place.

Note: ghosting trails get occluded by geometry and Xray don't work on them. You need to view geometry in wireframe in order to see them all. Points, these ghosting trails generate, are always visible though.

Note: since pointCloud can be selected in scene and moved around, you may want to make it unselectable.

mirkoj

Post by mirkoj » 28 Dec 2009, 12:07

Looks good, nice work :)
But there are few details, like everything gets deleted after rewind.
I really don't wanna steal your thread but I've found this solution to work a bit better for my workflow so it could help anyone else maybe:

It is simple setup with 3 nulls, 1st one act as control and you just constrain it to object or even cluster on an object so practicely you can trail tip of the nose for example. And two others are parented to this one, one have path animation ghost turned on and another one have object animated ghost, and you can change sise and shape simply by changing display options for that null.
Good thing about this setup is that is fully interactive and it updates the moment you change animation.
But I love seeing your work Ante :) Keep up!