Instance On Curve

Plugins linking to this thread: (hide)

Generate Instance On Curve 1.3Author: Julien Carmagnac
Updated June 2013 (info) — Based on a part of the »Create Copies along Curve« Compound of Felix Geremus, I try with this tool to cover many possible situation as possible with copies on curves. It work with multiple curves, even merged, and generate as many point cloud as necessary. We can easily edit all of then with the Multi Edit PPG.

The 1.2 update adds these new features and functions: Exposed »accuracy« parameter Adjust scale with real space in X,Y Or Z Delete Last Instance on open Curve Delete Neighbors with distance Random scale on X,Y,Z independently Offset scale on X,Y,Z independently Create from preset Save preset Randomize Update instances

Demonstration videos available here (V1.0) and here (V1.1) and here (V1.2).

Note that the download in the first post of the si-community thread isn't the most current version. Look further down in the thread to find it.

local backup: InstanceOnCurve_v1.3.xsiaddon

nuverian

Re: Instance On Curve

Post by nuverian » 04 Nov 2012, 03:53

Looks awesome and thanks a lot :-)
Portfolio / Blog
http://www.nuverian.net

julca

Post by julca » 05 Nov 2012, 14:36

Thanks for comments !
Rork wrote:An option in the menu that would merge all instances into one big mesh, would be a really cool addition.
For rendering, or just for plain scene interaction speed.
Rork, I think that the possibility to merge all instances into one big mesh would be a global option/tool, not specific to a tool.
But yes, it's a good idea !

Falam

Post by Falam » 10 Nov 2012, 02:39

julca wrote:Thanks for comments !
Rork wrote:An option in the menu that would merge all instances into one big mesh, would be a really cool addition.
For rendering, or just for plain scene interaction speed.
Rork, I think that the possibility to merge all instances into one big mesh would be a global option/tool, not specific to a tool.
But yes, it's a good idea !
This is a good idea, I was just asking myself this after freezing a mesh today. Why does the author always have a null parented to the object. I have a question, will update with images, shortly.

If I could freeze the mesh I could delete some polygons and it would be nice if I could prevent the overlaps.

julca

Post by julca » 11 Nov 2012, 12:29

Falam wrote:This is a good idea, I was just asking myself this after freezing a mesh today. Why does the author always have a null parented to the object.
In the case of Instance on Curve, it's a model that is created to store the construction elements (curve(s) path, object(s) to duplicate, group ("Samples") to store/manage objet(s) to duplicate).
For better visibility and understanding it's necessary, especially when several systems are created.

Or, if you talk about each model on object to duplicate, it's not necessary for single mesh but as you know you can instanciate a model which contains several objects.

Falam wrote:If I could freeze the mesh I could delete some polygons and it would be nice if I could prevent the overlaps.
There are some tools to convert a point cloud to a mesh object : viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1579

Falam

Post by Falam » 11 Nov 2012, 16:59

julca wrote:
Falam wrote:This is a good idea, I was just asking myself this after freezing a mesh today. Why does the author always have a null parented to the object.
In the case of Instance on Curve, it's a model that is created to store the construction elements (curve(s) path, object(s) to duplicate, group ("Samples") to store/manage objet(s) to duplicate).
For better visibility and understanding it's necessary, especially when several systems are created.

Or, if you talk about each model on object to duplicate, it's not necessary for single mesh but as you know you can instanciate a model which contains several objects.

What your saying is it's better if I create a model out of all my objects before using Instance on Curve if I'm going to use multiple objects but for single meshes it's not, I just want to be clear we are on the same page :)
Falam wrote:If I could freeze the mesh I could delete some polygons and it would be nice if I could prevent the overlaps.
There are some tools to convert a point cloud to a mesh object : viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1579

Maximus

Post by Maximus » 13 Nov 2012, 15:28

Hello!
First of all thanks a lot for this tool, it is working nicely to me and very helpful..
while i was tryin to create some animation I found out a little problem I am facing, and I was wandering what could cause this.
Basically I have instanced a MotionTool pointcloud on a curve, the problem is Mental Ray doesnt render the instanced pointcloud, while 3delight renders it just fine. Any idea how to fix this or what could cause this?

The setup is pretty straightforward, i've created a basic motion tool setup with "Create Instance Array" -> Linear
Then i've created a curve and selected both pointcloud and the curve and used "Instance on Curve" thats it

here are some screens

This is the setup with the pointcloud instanced
http://img607.imageshack.us/img607/3186/72237313.jpg

Mental Ray render
http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/7973/mentalray.jpg

3delight render
http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/9882/3delight.jpg

Thanks a lot!

Max

julca

Post by julca » 13 Nov 2012, 18:04

Hello Maximus,

Your right, actually i don't expose the "hierarchy Mode" parameter which is by default set to "Object an Children".
So for now, you have to manually edit this parameter to "Object Only" in your case (because you instanciate a point cloud of instance).

In the ICE Tree it's locate here :
InstanceOnCurve -> instance_on_Point -> Instance Shape -> and edit "hierarchy Mode" parameter.

I hope it will help you.

Maximus

Post by Maximus » 13 Nov 2012, 18:54

Thank you! that worked

druitre

Post by druitre » 13 Nov 2012, 22:14

Thank you, looks really useful.

gdebello

Post by gdebello » 24 Nov 2012, 19:16

This looks great! Thanks for sharing.
Glen
I use Softimage for game development. Is there really anything else?
http://www.gdebello.blogspot.com

Falam

Post by Falam » 18 Dec 2012, 15:27

It would be nice if this tool worked on Reference objects ? I have a hierarchy of objects that can bend with the null being the parent of all the "parts" but Instance on curve cannot bend objects around a curve ?

julca

Post by julca » 12 Jan 2013, 20:59

Hello Falam, sorry for my late reply i-) .

What do you mean by reference objects ?
Currently you can add null object to the Samples group and all sub objects in your null hierarchy will be instanciate on the curve.
If you want instanciate individually all sub objects, just put them directly into your Samples group.

You can detail your question, I will answer quickly is promised !

Falam

Post by Falam » 13 Jan 2013, 04:14

julca wrote:Hello Falam, sorry for my late reply i-) .

What do you mean by reference objects ?
Currently you can add null object to the Samples group and all sub objects in your null hierarchy will be instanciate on the curve.
If you want instanciate individually all sub objects, just put them directly into your Samples group.

You can detail your question, I will answer quickly is promised !
Thanks for that tip :)
What I mean is, I have a object that has a hierarchy of objects, this object has 'joints' that can bend and I have imported it into the scene as a reference object, from my point of view, instance on curve won't accept reference objects ?

Going back to the first sentence :), I would like the object to bend, to clearer understand what I'm talking about think 'chain' as in bicycle chain but not an exact 'bicycle chain' :) I would like the 'chain' in my case the parts to bend on the curve.

julca

Post by julca » 13 Jan 2013, 12:08

You can put a reference model with a hierarchy of objects on the "Sample" group and it will be instanciate with all sub objects.

Now, if you wan't bend a hierarchy of objects along the curve you can put all sub objects individually in your Samples group (see picture above).
instanceOnCurve_abcdef.jpg
Don't forget to uncheck the "Randomize Selection" parameter.

Otherwise, you can use the Derform By Curve operator.
Hope that help you !

Falam

Post by Falam » 14 Jan 2013, 06:05

julca wrote:You can put a reference model with a hierarchy of objects on the "Sample" group and it will be instanciate with all sub objects.

Now, if you wan't bend a hierarchy of objects along the curve you can put all sub objects individually in your Samples group (see picture above).
instanceOnCurve_abcdef.jpg
Don't forget to uncheck the "Randomize Selection" parameter.

Otherwise, you can use the Derform By Curve operator.
Hope that help you !
My results are pretty good, although I have a suggestion. :) You mentioned if I want a hierarchy of objects along the curve to bend, I should place all object individually in the 'samples group'.

What if they are individual with a null being the parent (reference object) this is my scenario, and they are not bending ? To clarify, the null is the parent of all the individual parts, imported into the scene as a reference object, instance on curve is applied to the curve and the null with all it's individual pieces is packaged up as a 'group' and placed into the 'samples group' of the instance to curve tool, although the individual parts of the objects are not bending along the curve.

julca

Post by julca » 14 Jan 2013, 08:06

Yes, you must place all objects individually in your group (or select them with your curve before creation).
Because you may want to instanciate simples objects and model/null composed by a hierarchy of objects, together.

Also, if you want to preserve your hierarchy with the null, first generate instance with your curve and null selected and after remove manually your null from the group and put your childs objects into it.