Set Polygon/Edge Position

iamVFX

Re: Set Polygon/Edge Position

Post by iamVFX » 07 Aug 2012, 04:07

If only that would happen and I could continue work in this direction, knowing that everyone will get the compounds no matter what version of software they have. But since it's only feature of unstable 2013 release I will not force people to use it if they don't want to, they have already paid for the ICE modeling feature already, I respect their choice to stay on the version that they have. That's why I spent an extra week to make topo pack compatible with SI 2012. Treat man as an intelligent person and you will be rewarded.

Look at this guy, he realized his mistakes and apologized for them in front of a crowd. What a smart man.
Last edited by iamVFX on 07 Aug 2012, 04:31, edited 1 time in total.

Tekano

Post by Tekano » 07 Aug 2012, 04:31

I am confused :) is this because of one compound not updated correctly (build array from set) from 2012 > 2013 or are you annoyed because there is now a fundamental difference in the way ICE compounds can be shared? Im not so sure about the latter proposition as I had that problem with a missing build array compound in 2012SP1 with some other shared ICE modelling related stuff on the SI list and it was fixed and pretty quickly. So I don't see or understand this being an issue or am I missing something?
Gossip is what no one claims to like, but everybody enjoys.

iamVFX

Post by iamVFX » 07 Aug 2012, 04:36

Tekano wrote:I am confused :) is this because of one compound not updated correctly (build array from set) from 2012 > 2013 or are you annoyed because there is now a fundamental difference in the way ICE compounds can be shared?
Exactly. It's not fixed yet and will never be. ICE compatibility is officially broken, next up: how to commercialize free-to-share system! Stay tuned, folks!

Tekano

Post by Tekano » 07 Aug 2012, 11:00

Well whomever is to monetize the ICE compounds it won't be Autodesk management, they don't appear to know the difference between ICE and 'scripts'. Honestly I don't believe this to be happening Constantine , because:-

a) they can't squeeze anymore money than they already have out of our insignificant Softimage user base .
b) Like I said its easily enough fixed and has been by re-connecting the missing (version) of compound, OK AD have not done that in a public press release but Support has explained the issue and how to deal with it.
c) there has been much bigger bugs and fuckups in the past, they didnt accept responsibility or apologise then nor will they ever. :D this is the nature of multi million lines of code software dev - shit happens

Also the original author of the newer version of compound is on here and the SI-List to help even though he's been led to a much posher paddock. Personally I would rather he be around and assist than hold a grudge and ignore. I really don't see a trend happening to make ICE compounds version specific. but, who knows, given some of the ludicrous decisions made on behalf of Softimage by AD then perhaps you will be right and it will be thier next step in the saga. cue dramatic music

Tekano

Post by Tekano » 07 Aug 2012, 12:19

And spoke to soon, now trying to implement this at work where we have to stick to 2012 SP1 for backwards compatibility reasons :) and now the nodes are purple (good) but no extrusion happens and when I use the init islands node it says

ConnectICENodes "grid1.polymsh.ICETree.port1", "grid1.polymsh.ICETree.Init_Islands_Extrude.Execute"
' WARNING : 3000-EDIT-AddICECompoundNode - Could not find node : Find in Array

find in array is available in the compounds list though - something is not right eh! - Ive made a bug report at the least

Also it looks like the site ScreenSnapr is down so none of your linked pictures are viewable. Argh! think my browser at home still has them displayed so will try and reupload them later on if ScreenSnapr does not come back.

xsisupport

Post by xsisupport » 07 Aug 2012, 15:27

Tekano wrote:And spoke to soon, now trying to implement this at work where we have to stick to 2012 SP1 for backwards compatibility reasons :) and now the nodes are purple (good) but no extrusion happens and when I use the init islands node it says

ConnectICENodes "grid1.polymsh.ICETree.port1", "grid1.polymsh.ICETree.Init_Islands_Extrude.Execute"

find in array is available in the compounds list though - something is not right eh! - Ive made a bug report at the least

Also it looks like the site ScreenSnapr is down so none of your linked pictures are viewable. Argh! think my browser at home still has them displayed so will try and reupload them later on if ScreenSnapr does not come back.
This appears to be almost the same thing as this.

I couldn't even import any of those compounds into 2012 SAP until I exported them from 2013 SP1.
In 2012 SAP I would get

# ERROR : 21000-EDIT-AddICECompoundNode - Unspecified failure
Application.AddICECompoundNode("", "grid.polymsh.ICETree")

After I had exported from 2013 SP1, I could import into 2012 SAP but I got this:

# WARNING : 3000-EDIT-AddICECompoundNode - Could not find node : BuildArrayFromSetNode
Application.AddICECompoundNode("C:\\Users\\blairs\\Autodesk\\Softimage_2013_SP1\\Data\\Compounds\\Init Islands Extrude.xsicompound", "grid.polymsh.ICETree")

So, try adding the missing Build Array from Set node in 2012. Or try this.
// Steve Blair
// "You're not a runner, you're just a guy who runs" -- my wife
//
// My Blogs: Arnold | Softimage

iamVFX

Post by iamVFX » 07 Aug 2012, 15:52

Tekano wrote:ConnectICENodes "grid1.polymsh.ICETree.port1", "grid1.polymsh.ICETree.Init_Islands_Extrude.Execute"
Oh, sure, it's (again) an old problem on the SI side (I don't know is it fixed or not) but before you should always set epsilon value to 0,001 at least to properly find zero values in arrays. So I made compound for myself to fix it, just connect scalar value to epsilon port of the standard Find in Array node and set it to 0,001 and export them as a new "Find in Array" node. I'm sorry for that, I forgot about this, I've done all sorts of tricks like that to make my ICE workflow more predictable and stable.

And excuse me for ScreenSnapr, they're not good as a hosting for images, I just used it since it was the easiest way to make screenshots at that time
Last edited by iamVFX on 07 Aug 2012, 16:06, edited 1 time in total.

Tekano

Post by Tekano » 07 Aug 2012, 15:59

Hi Stephen, have you been followed this thread? I believe you have to have all of iamvfx's proceduraltopopack installed in user compounds beforehand - which includes a variant of the elusive 'build array from set for 2012'. as well as Guillaume's Polygons Particles addon. I have and do not get same errors as you on 2012 SP1 . Once all these are in place I then get the error described

and ok if you can open it up in 2013 see where the missing nodes are meant to go then in 2012 re-connect them BECAUSE BACKWARDS COMPATIBILITY IS BROKEN but do we have to do this with every shared compound that uses these nodes? this is a joke right? I see what iamvfx is on about now with sharing compounds no longer working as it should. And for instance, at work we do not have 2013 installed yet. how the heck am I meant to fix a broken compound that works in 2013 (at home) but at work I cannot see how it is meant to work...?

bit of a conundrum eh!

Tekano

Post by Tekano » 07 Aug 2012, 16:15

ah do I overwrite the original find in array compound with this ? do I make both nodes into a compound or just connect the scalar and export?

ok I put them both in a compound and exported to user compounds 'Find in Array'

I now have two Find in Arrays listed , but when I try again the same thing I get

' WARNING : 3000-EDIT-AddICECompoundNode - Could not set value on [Find in Array 0].Value.Value_x
' WARNING : 3000-EDIT-AddICECompoundNode - Could not set value on [Find in Array 0].Value.Value_y
' WARNING : 3000-EDIT-AddICECompoundNode - Could not set value on [Find in Array 0].Value.Value_z

iamVFX

Post by iamVFX » 07 Aug 2012, 16:22

And now I have no idea what causes this.

I made a big mistake once. I've installed SI 2013 and used it.

I shouldn't have.

I hope Steve would explain us. He's the most smartest and experienced guy from the whole AD team now

Tekano

Post by Tekano » 07 Aug 2012, 16:35

iamVFX wrote:And now I have no idea what causes this.

I made a big mistake once. I've installed SI 2013 and used it.

I shouldn't have.

haha user error no doubt! all I wanted to do was to be able to procedurally scale a polygon with ICE Topo . what a journey this has been so far and I havent even come anywhere close yet =))

anyways to help future 2012 ICE Topo strugglers out I got these latest compounds to work by doing what iamVFX suggested. connecting a scalar with value 0.001 to the Find in Array node, putting this into a compound and exporting. The trick is to change the version number before exporting. so even though the compound list shows 2 find in array nodes it defers to the higher version. (but only after a restart not a refrsh compounds list) So. finally, after a considerable amount of hoops I have had to jump I now have basis to try and work out my stupid procedural polygon size effect both in 2013 & 2012.

Thanks Constantine for your patience!! :-bd will definately post any results and compounds made - if I ever get that far

oh and about screensnapr - its not your fault but if its still down tonight I will try and post your example ice tree images again in this thread.

cheers!

xsisupport

Post by xsisupport » 07 Aug 2012, 17:10

Tekano wrote:Hi Stephen, have you been followed this thread? I believe you have to have all of iamvfx's proceduraltopopack installed in user compounds beforehand - which includes a variant of the elusive 'build array from set for 2012'. as well as Guillaume's Polygons Particles addon. I have and do not get same errors as you on 2012 SP1 . Once all these are in place I then get the error described

and ok if you can open it up in 2013 see where the missing nodes are meant to go then in 2012 re-connect them BECAUSE BACKWARDS COMPATIBILITY IS BROKEN but do we have to do this with every shared compound that uses these nodes? this is a joke right? I see what iamvfx is on about now with sharing compounds no longer working as it should. And for instance, at work we do not have 2013 installed yet. how the heck am I meant to fix a broken compound that works in 2013 (at home) but at work I cannot see how it is meant to work...?

bit of a conundrum eh!
Ok, I created a workgroup and installed all the addons and compounds you mentioned.
Now when I create a Init Islands Extrude node in an ICE tree, there are no errors or warnings.

PS I did make one mistake in my original answer: when I downloaded that rar with the Japanese characters in the file name, I extracted it and didn't change the folder name...that's why I couldn't create the compounds at first.
// Steve Blair
//

Tekano

Post by Tekano » 07 Aug 2012, 17:21

ah I see, I just threw all of these compounds into one folder inside my user>data>compounds folder. I do not get error by default by just to bring that node into the ICE tree. do you make a cluster, get is_element from cluster and connect to init islands extrude? if you then see an extrusion then somehow something is different to my setup as I get a correct purple node but no extrusion. bringing in another node 'Islands extrude' generates an error in the logs. doing what iamvfx mentions with the find in array node fixes this error and the extrusion works.

I think the 'Elements to Island Index' node forces this error too. Im on 2012 SP1 btw.

cheers!
Last edited by Tekano on 07 Aug 2012, 17:29, edited 1 time in total.

xsisupport

Post by xsisupport » 07 Aug 2012, 17:28

Tekano wrote:ah I see, I just threw all of these compounds into one folder inside my user>data>compounds folder. I do not get error by default by just to bring that node into the ICE tree. do you make a cluster, get is_element from cluster and connect to init islands extrude? if you then see an extrusion then somehow something is different to my setup as I get a correct purple node but an error in the logs. doing what iamvfx mentions with the find in array node fixes this error.

I think the 'Elements to Island Index' node forces this error too. Im on 2012 SP1 btw.

cheers!
No, I didn't see those repro steps in the bug you logged. Were they in this thread earlier on? Sorry, I missed them.
// Steve Blair
//

Tekano

Post by Tekano » 07 Aug 2012, 17:39

sorry Steve - yes I was still exploring various issues when I logged that bug and was not sure of the cause or the repro steps. it still stands and is only apparent in 2012 SP1 and not 2013 and seems to be related to the 'Find in Array' by default having its epsilon set to 0 and not 0.001 - or something....?

xsisupport

Post by xsisupport » 07 Aug 2012, 17:58

Tekano wrote:sorry Steve - yes I was still exploring various issues when I logged that bug and was not sure of the cause or the repro steps. it still stands and is only apparent in 2012 SP1 and not 2013 and seems to be related to the 'Find in Array' by default having its epsilon set to 0 and not 0.001 - or something....?
Now I'm in 2013 SP1, and I can repro the "Find in Array" warning.
Create a mesh, create an ICE tree on the mesh, and add Elements to Island Index to the ICE tree:

Code: Select all

# WARNING : 3000-EDIT-AddICECompoundNode - Could not find node : Find in Array
Application.AddICECompoundNode("Elements to Island Index", "grid.polymsh.ICETree")
If I look at "Elements to Island Index.xsicompound", I see Find in Array appears to be a compound:

<node type="Find in Array" version="1.1" index="0">
				<param name="Value.Value_x" type="4" value="0.000000"></param>
				<param name="Value.Value_y" type="4" value="0.000000"></param>
				<param name="Value.Value_z" type="4" value="0.000000"></param>
				<param name="Array.Array_x" type="4" value="0.000000"></param>
				<param name="Array.Array_y" type="4" value="0.000000"></param>
				<param name="Array.Array_z" type="4" value="0.000000"></param>
				<portdef name="Value" type="16" structure="1" group="-1" instance="-1" port="-1"></portdef>
				<portdef name="Array" type="16" structure="2" group="-1" instance="-1" port="-1"></portdef>
				<datablob category="ui_infos">
					<prop name="posx">-449</prop>
					<prop name="posy">496</prop>
					<prop name="state">Normal</prop>
				</datablob>
			</node>
where is this compound supposed to come from?

The built in Find in Array node looks like this in an xsicompound file:

<node type="FindInArrayNode" index="0">
				<param name="epsilon" type="4" value="0.000000"></param>
				<portdef name="value" type="1035263" structure="1" group="0" instance="0" port="0"></portdef>
				<portdef name="array" type="1035263" structure="1" group="0" instance="0" port="1"></portdef>
				<portdef name="epsilon" type="4" structure="1" group="0" instance="0" port="2"></portdef>
				<datablob category="ui_infos">
					<prop name="posx">-658</prop>
					<prop name="posy">-61</prop>
					<prop name="state">Normal</prop>
				</datablob>
			</node>
// Steve Blair
//