Kristinka Hair 3.0 released

Plugins linking to this thread: (hide)

Kristinka Hair 3.2Author: Anto Matkovic
The July 2014 update is another big one introducing new nodes like »Fit NURBS«, »Curls advanced«, »Curvature Amplifier«, »Grouping in Form« »Follow CurveList« »Stretch Hair« »Hair Filler Rounded« — for a full description see the si-community thread and the updated documentation.

The Kristinka Hair toolset is a new and unique way to set up, style and simulate hair using ICE nodes. A set of fully customizable ICE nodes Scalable, from only a few basic compounds for building basic hair, to very complex structures. Hair styling that always considers the whole shape of the hair. Styling works well for short and for long hair. Unlimited hair length, unlimited number of hair segments. Automatic, procedural generation of details - always with full control. Locks, clumps, curls, turbulence, are created by ICE compounds Additional modifiers, like cutting hairs by external geometry, constant strand length for key frame animation, resampling and subdividing strands, morphing with another hair, modulating hair's distribution over emitter, so user can increase density on most visible areas Full support for the Sofimage's built-in Strand Dynamics Framework simulation engine. Only factory ICE nodes were used, it should work nicely with any Softimage version from 7.01 on.

Other media available: Version 3.1's online 'first steps' tutorial. si-community user Bronco67 has created a video introduction for an earlier version available here. Also: A rendering tests thread, a TV ad by PsyOp featuring Kristinka Hair.

In case you want to apply kH3 nodes and dynamics on top of strands that were not generated by kH3 itself, here is a setup to enable that.

local backup: kristinka_hair_32_02july2014.rar

Mathaeus

Re: Kristinka Hair 3.0 released

Post by Mathaeus » 11 Mar 2012, 19:51

JPWestmas wrote: So my question is, what would be the best way to keyframe these nurbs deformers (not procedurally but by eyeballing them and placing by hand), which in turn would drive the hair strands.
Hello

here you go. Deformations are applied in pairs (that's a usual method in ICE). Static and deformed emitter, static and deformed hull. Everything should stay at zero transform, only deformation is "safe". Hull should be mesh, only. Generally you want higher mesh resolution than strand resolution, smooth hull as possible as well. Because it using as much fast, "faceted" method for transfer.

I've added some test animation.

'deform by hull' node goes anywhere after 'form' nodes (nodes which usually have some geometry input). For reasonable performance, it should go before hair filler. For later use, you just export the node in same folder, where kH stuff is.

JPWestmas

Post by JPWestmas » 12 Mar 2012, 18:10

Hey man, that's excellent! I was thinking about bringing in some characters I animated in messiah. I assume at this point that I could very well constrain the scalp surface of the wig to the verticies of a head that has point cache on it?? In otherwords, what is the method you use to constrain the scalp triangles to the head triangles? Is it using a point constraint? I'll keep looking ^.^.

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 12 Mar 2012, 22:18

JPWestmas wrote:I was thinking about bringing in some characters I animated in messiah. I assume at this point that I could very well constrain the scalp surface of the wig to the vertices of a head that has point cache on it?? In otherwords, what is the method you use to constrain the scalp triangles to the head triangles? Is it using a point constraint? I'll keep looking ^.^.
1:If simple, parent-like connection is enough, you could find one polygon on cached mesh, which doesn't deforms itself. Usually the one on top of the head. Create cluster from this polygon, constrain null to cluster (object to cluster constrain). Don't forget to activate both tangent and normal.
Use null as parent, single deformer for envelope, whatever. kH would like a 'single deformer for envelope'.
I've used this successfully in times of XSI 5 or 6 for attaching to point-cached import from Max.

2:Simplest ICE way would be this one. I've used exactly the same method in post above, but on strands,so you can't use kH node on mesh. That's a non-interpolated, 'faceted' method - but it's fast.

3:For nice smoothed interpolation, a bit expensive... there is a XSI Cage op - if you set fallof to very small value, it's not so expensive.

JPWestmas

Post by JPWestmas » 14 Mar 2012, 22:56

Thanks for the hints, that's all I really need are pushes in the right direction. That polycluster constraint sound great.

I just did a simple test just now,(I know I take forever) where I exported your head, the hull deform surface and the scalp polymesh emitter to messiah. I put some bones in the meshes and exported the mdd files. Then I brought those cache files back into SI and applied them to the model with point oven, it worked perfectly! The hairs appeared to be stable too!

So pretty happy about this so far.

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 15 Mar 2012, 01:15

JPWestmas wrote:
I just did a simple test just now,(I know I take forever) where I exported your head, the hull deform surface and the scalp polymesh emitter to messiah.
poor my head :) btw if you do something with 'emitter' mesh, like freezing exporting and importing back, there is small ICE node that should reside on this mesh, called 'initialize polymesh emitter' or something, you just re-apply it if was lost, for any reason.

cheers

JPWestmas

Post by JPWestmas » 15 Mar 2012, 01:30

Mathaeus wrote:
JPWestmas wrote:
I just did a simple test just now,(I know I take forever) where I exported your head, the hull deform surface and the scalp polymesh emitter to messiah.
poor my head :) btw if you do something with 'emitter' mesh, like freezing exporting and importing back, there is small ICE node that should reside on this mesh, called 'initialize polymesh emitter' or something, you just re-apply it if was lost, for any reason.

cheers
hehe, I meant your second head :D. Luckily, I didn't have to import the mesh to get the animated deformation to work, I only had to import the point cache back onto the original head and it worked just fine because the point order was the same. =)

hidalgo

Post by hidalgo » 12 May 2012, 16:03

What are the equivalent of the version 2 vs version 3 nodes of kristinka?

i have and hairstyle that im using for rendering ( not simulation ) and i am trying to have the old setup to work, in my case i was using a kh2 emit hair ( nurbs emitter and point cloud as styling ) but in the new kh3 emit from nurbs i cant find any way to have the previous point cloud to style as there is no guide in name fuction anymore.

Any Help Apreciated.

Thx

Hidalgo

talent103

Post by talent103 » 27 May 2012, 22:00

Hi Mathaeus
So I finally got around to posting some tests I did with the simulation models you gave me. I found that with the one point simulation I still got a lot of penetration of the collision object. The strand dynamics one was a lot better (though a quite a bit of a workflow) However even though it is better I still get some penetration issues. It is not to too bad since the toon shading is very forgiving. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help the penetration issues. Also let me know what you think of the test.
BTW I did try to do Maya Nhair It was easy to learn and set up and the collisions are absolutely great even on a light mesh. The problem is in rendering and getting it to match the mesh when rendering a sequence. If I render a frame it matches perfectly but if I render a sequence it is off even if the Nhair is cached. Maya Nhair is still a work in progress and I have people at Autodesk looking into the problems. Will post that when i get the issues resolved.

[b

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 27 May 2012, 23:37

Ok I just raised aircrafts to gather the all simulation department of Kristinka technologies :)

Now seriously, probably the movement is too fast for "Push Strands outside geo" compound (or what is called, there are a few versions around). As I said before, there is "get closest location" node inside, which searches for closest surface, according point normal it makes decision, is some strand segment is inside of geometry. If so, it pushes the strand segment to closest surface.

With fast movement, closest surface could be on opposite, unwanted side. With faster movement, compound will think that nothing important happens, strand will just pass through the geo.

In short, only my advice is to try it with slower motion. Also, if you didn't already, create a special geometry for collision, as much convex. That is, without holes for eyes, mouth, so on.

For re-timing the cached sim, there is great tutorial by Andy Nicholas.

BTW I just working on small update, but this won't help here in any way, unfortunately.

cheers

talent103

Post by talent103 » 28 May 2012, 01:43

Thanks! I will give those ideas a try. At this point I think its awesome and may even render the hair as a different pass etc. But it seems to be the best hair solution for me so far. Thank you so much for giving us this tool as an option.
John

hidalgo

Post by hidalgo » 28 May 2012, 11:44

Hi Anto i tought to show you what ive being doing on the stuff you know for my short movie, this is the first "workable" version using kristinka for hair styling

https://vimeo.com/42405201

pass: hairtest

best
Hidalgo

Newcomer (<20 posts) alert: please use the URL tags or alternative use the VIM tags to embed the vimeo - HB
Last edited by hidalgo on 31 May 2012, 17:07, edited 1 time in total.

talent103

Post by talent103 » 28 May 2012, 17:23

Thats looking pretty cool!

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 28 May 2012, 20:56

hidalgo wrote:Hi Anto i tought to show you what ive being doing on the stuff you know for my short movie, this is the first "workable" version using kristinka for hair styling

https://vimeo.com/42405201

best
Hidalgo
Grazie Hidalgo ! I can see a much of love you put into this character.

cheers

hidalgo

Post by hidalgo » 28 May 2012, 21:12

thanks to you this character would have probably not even existed so quickly without your tools ;)

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 31 May 2012, 02:10

Hi,

Here is about 5 mb wmw of Syflex simulation test.
I didn't tweaked the sim that much. Anyway, simulation time looks promising, about 2-6 FPS for about 250 guides. 2 is with self-collision - here is just a smooth pin, instead. All that with my single threaded Syflex. I hope I'll ad a full setup for mesh extrusions and Syflex in update.

talent103

Post by talent103 » 31 May 2012, 05:38

Nice!