Kristinka Hair 3.0 released

Plugins linking to this thread: (hide)

Kristinka Hair 3.2Author: Anto Matkovic
The July 2014 update is another big one introducing new nodes like »Fit NURBS«, »Curls advanced«, »Curvature Amplifier«, »Grouping in Form« »Follow CurveList« »Stretch Hair« »Hair Filler Rounded« — for a full description see the si-community thread and the updated documentation.

The Kristinka Hair toolset is a new and unique way to set up, style and simulate hair using ICE nodes. A set of fully customizable ICE nodes Scalable, from only a few basic compounds for building basic hair, to very complex structures. Hair styling that always considers the whole shape of the hair. Styling works well for short and for long hair. Unlimited hair length, unlimited number of hair segments. Automatic, procedural generation of details - always with full control. Locks, clumps, curls, turbulence, are created by ICE compounds Additional modifiers, like cutting hairs by external geometry, constant strand length for key frame animation, resampling and subdividing strands, morphing with another hair, modulating hair's distribution over emitter, so user can increase density on most visible areas Full support for the Sofimage's built-in Strand Dynamics Framework simulation engine. Only factory ICE nodes were used, it should work nicely with any Softimage version from 7.01 on.

Other media available: Version 3.1's online 'first steps' tutorial. si-community user Bronco67 has created a video introduction for an earlier version available here. Also: A rendering tests thread, a TV ad by PsyOp featuring Kristinka Hair.

In case you want to apply kH3 nodes and dynamics on top of strands that were not generated by kH3 itself, here is a setup to enable that.

local backup: kristinka_hair_32_02july2014.rar

fjg

Re: Kristinka Hair 3.0 released

Post by fjg » 19 Aug 2011, 04:45

Is strand extrusion the only way to instance a shape, or is it possible to use an instance shape node with KH3?

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 19 Aug 2011, 20:52

fjg wrote:Is strand extrusion the only way to instance a shape, or is it possible to use an instance shape node with KH3?
Whatever works with factory strand nodes, should be possible to allow with kH3 too. But it is up to you to build and troubleshot the connection. A 'compatibility warning' I've added into docs is just a warning.
All shape creation nodes ('form') creates a strand up vector. If you want to use extrusions from 2012, afaik you can switch to 'vector mode', and utilize kh3 up vector, by 'kH3 Get Strand Up Vector' node.
That I know, most popular are extrusions, also direct deformations (direct deformation: you assign parts of mesh to points in point cloud by some criteria, then appropriate strands are used as deformers).

fjg

Post by fjg » 19 Aug 2011, 21:05

Thanks for the reply about the warning - I'll give it a shot. I just found an earlier sample file that helps with this too - I'm trying to export to octane/maxwell.

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 19 Aug 2011, 21:33

Suggested setup for extrusions is a bit more complicated in kh3, just to allow one strip to drive the three guides. On the other side, there is no node which can cause a 'variable' size of strand array. It's always the same size of strand array, btw because 3delight don't like the 'variable' size.
I think you can just add 'prepare for mt extrusion' to point cloud, and extrude the all strands, just in one step (no intermediate stuff).

j3st3r

Post by j3st3r » 22 Aug 2011, 14:39

Hey,

For some reasons I can't UV map the extruded strips. I used a mesh as a source, I made my ICE Tree, and the extrusions are created, but unfortunately I can't UV map the extruded mesh (procedurally)

Any idea?

Cheers

Jester

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 22 Aug 2011, 20:17

hi there,

'mesh source', this probably belongs to extrusions in SI 2012 - if so, here is the thread. I don't believe there is something specific with kH3, about UV generation.

AlexanderM

Post by AlexanderM » 02 Sep 2011, 13:53

Good update.
Can I use kH3 Grouping compound with "Guides and Filler Triangles" mode? When I try, I get the problem where the roots. Also, is it possible to perform extrusions along strands with this mode? I noticed there beams, which are needed to address the problems of interpolation. I need single guide strands to make extrusion for connecting ICE Syflex dynamics.
I understand that "nurbs" method is easier to work with him and less of a problem, but I preferred "polymesh" and I want to find out
Attachments
khair1.jpg
khair1.jpg (174.09 KiB) Viewed 3631 times

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 02 Sep 2011, 20:24

AlexanderM wrote:Good update.
Can I use kH3 Grouping compound with "Guides and Filler Triangles" mode?
Yes, there are examples for both ('cross_sections_grouping' and 'stick_to_...'). Probably you want to compare these setups with yours, before going to forum. Especially ICE tree on emitter, correct reference to UV property.
Suggested setup for attaching to extrusions is one-mesh-strip-per-triangle (or, three guides) - to prevent Syflex sim, to do not explode with overlaps.
Btw, interpolation could look better with (almost) equal size of triangle's sides.

Cheers

tupu

Post by tupu » 23 Sep 2011, 02:33

Hi,

I am modeling a spider, from one master leg(which is the emitter object for all pointclouds) I use the deform hair compound to transfer the strands to the animated(deformed) legs.
It worked on the 3 legs but when trying to do the exact same thing on the fourth I can't make it work?

If I duplicate the fourth leg and try transfering between these two(leg_4 and new one Leg_5) it works, but for som reason it doesn't work from the "master" object.

The objects are all identical with same number of points and polys and so on and I have searched for differences in them but can't find any, is there something I am missing?

Here's a screenshot if it helps.

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 23 Sep 2011, 15:33

tupu wrote:Hi,

I am modeling a spider, from one master leg(which is the emitter object for all pointclouds) I use the deform hair compound to transfer the strands to the animated(deformed) legs.
It worked on the 3 legs but when trying to do the exact same thing on the fourth I can't make it work?

If I duplicate the fourth leg and try transfering between these two(leg_4 and new one Leg_5) it works, but for som reason it doesn't work from the "master" object.

The objects are all identical with same number of points and polys and so on and I have searched for differences in them but can't find any, is there something I am missing?

Here's a screenshot if it helps.
Hi,

well this should work.... my wild guess is, probably references to objects are screwed up, sometime during duplicating - afaik ICE behaves differently than standard operators, there (let's say, you have reference to many curves in ICE tree, select and rename them all, you'll get a mass...). So maybe you can try to create all new references to all geometries, save and reload the scene. afaik#2, you'll see a 'real' result only after reload.

tupu

Post by tupu » 24 Sep 2011, 21:08

Hi,

Nothing seemed to work so I made new master emitter objects for the objects that weren't working by just duplicating them.

Is there a way to assign a group to "emit from polymesh", guessing not but I haven't gone through every compund yet or the all of the docs, but it would make
things a little easier, anyways great job on the compounds, thank you.

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 25 Sep 2011, 02:19

tupu wrote:Hi,
Is there a way to assign a group to "emit from polymesh", guessing not but I haven't gone through every compund yet or the all of the docs, but it would make
things a little easier, anyways great job on the compounds, thank you.
nope... it's using emit location for 'reinterpret location to new geometry' node, this doesn't work with emitting from groups. Deformer should be 'exact' copy (no changes in topology, like extrude, weld, so on), just something with same number of points isn't enough, here. If you can merge all meshes into one and envelope them...

cheers

talent103

Post by talent103 » 26 Dec 2011, 22:51

Hi Marko
How woiuld I get the hair to collide with the face and body and not go through it?
Thanks
John

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 27 Dec 2011, 10:25

talent103 wrote:Hi Marko
How woiuld I get the hair to collide with the face and body and not go through it?
Thanks
John
I hope I'll post a few setups in next few days, in this thread. Some more convenient method for attaching to mesh stripes, instead the one in download. For factory strand dynamics framework as well. Don't know is there anything able to simulate on curves in newer SI versions, but possibly I'll try the one with curves too.

If you're talking with me :) - this is not my name... but I don't worry about :)

cheers

talent103

Post by talent103 » 27 Dec 2011, 17:50

Sorry Mathaeus. :) I don't know where I got Marko from. That would be great if you could post the new setups. I originally tried the hair system when you first came out with it. I had not touched it again till this week with the new 3.0 set up. I know for the one I worked with I needed Phils Ice Pack for the simulation. It does seem like easier set ups now as we only need one ice tree and not 2. I was trying to re create the one point simulation model.
John

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 28 Dec 2011, 16:05

Honestly, v3 is made to be easier and faster for styling and key-frame animation, as some.. enough... easy parts. Drawback is a far more tricky simulation setup. Simulation is left to 'third party' :). After all, even basic simulation tasks in ICE (loading cache, re-timing, keeping attributes alive...) requires a power user, so few problems more, who cares :).
Also, according to fact that Cinema 4d for example, has a reliable hair sim for a years.... someone would expect something a bit more complex than about twenty nodes from Strand Dynamics Framework in out-of-the-box SI , in more than three years of ICE on the road. On another side, it's really easy to build something on top of that simple engine.

Here is a "clamped" Strand Framework in action - modifiers ( bend and randomize) were added later, on top of cached sim. Now, just to find enough easy setup...