ICE Topo - Adaptative Subdivision

Plugins linking to this thread: (hide)

Adaptive SubdivisionAuthor: Piotrek Marczak
An ICE modeling compound that applies a Catmull-Clarke subdivision scheme only to polygons with an neighbor adjacency angle greater than a user specified value. The si-community discussion includes an interesting discussion with ICE Modeling Developer Guillaume Laforge.

local backup: ooAdaptive Subdivision.xsicompound

guillaume

Re: ICE Topo - Adaptative Subdivision

Post by guillaume » 18 Apr 2011, 15:28

No problems gfxman ! :)

@ Hirazi Blue : Maybe you could conclude this OT by creating a specific thread for a centralized and good place for ICE compounds (I 100% agree to this request) ?

Cheers

Guillaume

ActionArt

Post by ActionArt » 18 Apr 2011, 15:59

Thanks Guillaume, your insight and help on compounds is greatly appreciated.

BTW, I have to say ICE is incredibly complex and well made! Great work to say the least!!!!!

And origin, thanks for starting this, it's a VERY useful tool!

Tekano

Post by Tekano » 18 Apr 2011, 16:45

yes - this place is as good as any, viewforum.php?f=19 its just not uptodate or has *all* available submitted compounds but its still online right now, is usable and can accept user attachments which is better than xsibase or 'the area'. I recon a cross pollination from rray.de and a dig out of old ICE compounds backup folder then we may be getting it into a better shape than it currently is. I too miss the old softimage website for centralised ICE compounds, it had a lot of initial momentum that AD simply, for want of a better word, *destroyed* but yes it is very apparent that AD are not interested in or have the resourses to deliver what was already in place, so we will have to make do with our own home grown efforts. next week Ive some free time so I promise to raid my backups folder and try and beef up the ICE downloads section with already downloaded ICE compounds :-bd
Gossip is what no one claims to like, but everybody enjoys.

gustavoeb

Post by gustavoeb » 09 Oct 2012, 22:00

Hi Piotrek,

Due to current project needs I´ve downloaded your compound and modified it to support subdivision based on distance to camera and geometry. For camera I have nothing fancy like considering the frustum, rasterized polygon size or anything like that. But its good enough for many cases.

I´m sharing the compound here, if you dont mind... If you do, just warn me and I shall remove it:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/39280733/ooAda ... sicompound
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Gustavo Eggert Boehs
Blog: http://www.gustavoeb.com.br/

AlexanderM

Post by AlexanderM » 10 Oct 2012, 01:54

It would be good to add adaptive poly reduction mode, in addition. Or as a separate tool

gustavoeb

Post by gustavoeb » 10 Oct 2012, 15:48

it would be interesting... probably would only be useful for someone using data from scanned 3d models I guess
Gustavo Eggert Boehs
Blog: http://www.gustavoeb.com.br/

AlexanderM

Post by AlexanderM » 10 Oct 2012, 23:04

I think is also useful for optimizing fluid mesh. There is a similar feature in Real Flow mesh tools