Image Clip Input to a Custom ICE Node

Discussions concerning programming of SOFTIMAGE©
claudevervoort

Image Clip Input to a Custom ICE Node

Post by claudevervoort » 16 Oct 2009, 02:59

Hi!

Newbie question! I am playing on a little practice ICE animation that should be driven by the luminance of an image clip done in AE, so I just wanted to have an ICE node which I point to an image clip and give it an X/Y pixel coordinates of where to sample the image. I did not see anything like that but I thought that should simple enough to be a good exercise to build a custom ICE node.

Well then actually some knowledgeable people later on pointed me that I could instead use a Texture Map and use either a Raycast or UV to get the texture map color and that is just slightly more complicated than what I first envisioned, but definitely the way to go since that is native ICE.

But then my curiosity was picked and I tried to see if I could create that node. I started to realize that I could not prompt in the ICE node for a file path but rather I should feed in the file data. But can I?

So the question is:

- it seems you cannot connect an image clip as a custom node input (ie create a Get Data node that gets the image clip and connect it as the input to the custom node), right? If you can, what should the Input Node definition?

Node would have been something like:

Code: Select all

Image Clip->|o Custom Node o|->color 
         X->|o              |
         Y->|o              |
Thanks!

Claude

scaron

Re: Image Clip Input to a Custom ICE Node

Post by scaron » 16 Oct 2009, 03:54

i believe support for strings in the ICE graph is what you're missing, this is supposedly in the works...

for the time being you can do what amman did with his aaOcean plugin and use a custom property outside the ICE graph to allow a user to input a file path

s

claudevervoort

Re: Image Clip Input to a Custom ICE Node

Post by claudevervoort » 16 Oct 2009, 04:35

Yes that sounds like a good work around. Thx for the pointer!

Claude