Recreate perspective from 2D image

Discussions concerning programming of SOFTIMAGE©
Pancho

Recreate perspective from 2D image

Post by Pancho » 04 Oct 2012, 12:12

I came up with something in ICE which tries to match a cube (3d) to the image of a cube (2d). All in all it is a start, but the way I determine some things seems to be not very mathematical. So I end with 95% of a perfect match.

I tried to find some papers/tutorials/explanations on the web, but couldn't find anything. I guess I'm using the wrong terms for the search.

Does anybody know the proper phrase for this kind of purpose or even a tutorial/site which is dedicated to this kind of thing (e.g. determine the position of the camera in order to match a plane in 3d to the image of a plane in 3d (both of the same dimension of course)?

Cheers!

csaez

Re: Recreate perspective from 2D image

Post by csaez » 04 Oct 2012, 12:32

Have you already tried using "camera match" or "camera matching"? There are plenty of tutorials about it :)

Pancho

Post by Pancho » 04 Oct 2012, 12:35

That seemed to obvious. : )

I tried it the hard way like : Match perspective of 3d cube to 2d image

Let's see if there's something useful.

Thanks!!

rray

Post by rray » 04 Oct 2012, 13:22

I was using ImageModeler for that a while ago ("free" if you're on subscription) and it worked really great. The cameras it generates can be exported to Softimage and the pictures used line up perfectly in rotoscopy.

But I don't know if it works with one picture only. If you're having more or less symmetrical objects like heads, you can just flip the image and generate a second perspective that way. On the page they used the term photogrammetry btw.

I think the tech behind it is quite complicated. I think I remember seeing some videos in pooby's collection but it could have been that was for moving images only.
softimage resources section updated Jan 5th 2024

Pancho

Post by Pancho » 04 Oct 2012, 14:23

Hate image modeler. : ) (Because it relies on several images.)

No, honestly. For the Mac there has been a program over 10 years ago which could estimate perspective by inserting a few rough geometrical objects. One day Adobe bought it and now it is gone.

I need this estimation for single still images with quite a high resolution. For my tests I rendered a cube in Modo and used my ICE tree to estimate the Modo camera. It's about 98-99% accurate. But I'd like to be above 99,5%. With 98% a visual difference is still visible and not good enough.

I just wonder which way I need to go in terms of programming to be more precise. So far it is simple vector maths, comparing directions and angles and cube lengths.

Cheers!

nbreslow

Post by nbreslow » 04 Oct 2012, 16:57

There is a free plugin for Maya on Creative Crash called Sanctus Match Camera located here: http://www.creativecrash.com/maya/downl ... atchcamera. Is this what you're after? You might be able to use some of what is there it or contact the author to make a XSI version? Hope that helps.

-Nick

dwigfor

Post by dwigfor » 05 Oct 2012, 00:27

Synth eyes can match camera to 1frame. Russ has a tutorial on the syntheyes site. Biggest problem I had with ice was lens distortion with live action footage.