Dual Quaternion rig scale

Discussions about SOFTIMAGEs© Interactive Creative Environment©
izze

Dual Quaternion rig scale

Post by izze » 24 Mar 2018, 01:19

Hey guys. I've been searching for a solution for Dual Quaternion scaling. All compounds that I have found with a 'scaling fix', does not work. My rig is under a null which does the scaling for the rig. I am enveloping to nulls instead of bones. Does anyone have a solution? Or at least a tip for me? I would appreciate any help. Thanks.
Attachments
scale.jpg

izze

Re: Dual Quaternion rig scale

Post by izze » 26 Mar 2018, 19:15

Testing further. Scaling UP works. Scaling down does not. First image is scale of 1, then 9000, then .01
Attachments
scale.jpg

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 26 Mar 2018, 21:07

As far as I remember, requirement for one I've posted at least, was a reference pose of enveloped mesh at world origin (position and rotation is zero, scale 1, when SI envelope was created), also 1:1 matching of envelope deformers and group connected to ICE compound (in case you're unsure, run 'select deformer from envelope' from animation panel, create new group from selection, put group under same SI model with skeleton and enveloped mesh, reconnect ICE compound to that group, save scene, close and reload SI). But, this is not looking like any error related to described, it's looking more like evaluation error. Anyway I'd try to renew the group used for enveloping, just to be sure.

izze

Post by izze » 26 Mar 2018, 22:11

Hey there Mathaeus. I appreciate you taking the time to respond. I know this was stuff you worked on so long ago. This is the post I found with your compounds:
http://www.si-community.com/community/v ... nion#p2603

I have everything setup the way you describe. Except for the reference pose of enveloped mesh. I do not see a port available for connecting a duplicated mesh as reference pose. Would there be compounds somewhere else that I am unable to locate? I am attaching some more screen grabs in hopes that it helps bring back memories from so long ago. :)

Again, I appreciate you even responding. If there is nothing that can be done to further resolve this issue. I totally understand. Thanks again!
Attachments
rig_setup.jpg
iceTree2.PNG
iceTree1.PNG

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 26 Mar 2018, 22:27

izze wrote: 26 Mar 2018, 22:11 I have everything setup the way you describe. Except for the reference pose of enveloped mesh. I do not see a port available for connecting a duplicated mesh as reference pose.
I meant 'bind pose' of mesh at moment of creating envelope, at scale 1, rotation 0, and translation 0. So, not any copy or such.

P.S. what values are in Static_KineState of your 'CylinderDQ' - should be scale 1, rotation 0, and translation 0.

izze

Post by izze » 26 Mar 2018, 23:12

Yes sir, Static Kine for the Cylinder mesh is 1,0,0. I froze all transforms on the mesh (then freeze M) before enveloping it to the nulls. The only thing I did to the nulls is set neutral pose on translation.

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 26 Mar 2018, 23:36

I'm admitting my defeat. Anyway scaling seems to be inverse, perhaps some input is just not evaluated, while I have no idea what doesn't work as expected.

izze

Post by izze » 26 Mar 2018, 23:44

Hey, I appreciate your time. I have yet to give up. If I make any progress I will return. Thanks again!