Grid deform by curve and interpolate between outer curves

Discussions about SOFTIMAGEs© Interactive Creative Environment©
rray

Re: Grid deform by curve and interpolate between outer curves

Post by rray » 24 Dec 2017, 00:34

I was wondering if animated UVs were an option too. Then you could just go without curves and model everything
softimage resources section updated Jan 5th 2024

sant0s

Post by sant0s » 24 Dec 2017, 00:48

Would they follow the curves or you mean like a planar texture_projection animating over the geometry?
Never animated a UV actually. :)

I like to use gradients to get something like the attached image.
Thats possible with animated UVs?
example.jpg

rray

Post by rray » 24 Dec 2017, 00:56

you could have 1 animated uv and 1 static for painting things like the stripes. Let me just make another scene ;)

____

Animated them here using ICE (You need them straightened along the river )

It's not perfect uvs like you would get from a grid, but maybe it gives you more artistic freedom 8-x
Attachments
animated_uvs.zip
(168.51 KiB) Downloaded 86 times
Last edited by rray on 24 Dec 2017, 01:10, edited 1 time in total.

sant0s

Post by sant0s » 24 Dec 2017, 01:33

man, thx - thats again just crazy!
learned so much in some hours, never seen/used that technique before, didnt even know thats possible. :D
Gonna test out what I can do with that, very cool.

thx a lot again, appreciate that!

rray

Post by rray » 24 Dec 2017, 01:39

Glad to help, I hope it works out :D Btw, I just realized it's probably easier to just to just animate the u or v offset in the shader instead of using ice here. ICE would be useful if the uvs were morphing in some compilcated manner, but this is just shifting along 1 axis. The important thing is that the river Uv's are as straight as possible

FXDude

Post by FXDude » 24 Dec 2017, 06:34

Nice tips RRay!
rray wrote: 24 Dec 2017, 01:39 Glad to help, I hope it works out :D
Btw, I just realized it's probably easier to just to just animate the u or v offset in the shader instead of using ice here.
ICE would be useful if the uvs were morphing in some compilcated manner, but this is just shifting along 1 axis.
Maybe, but your ICE Method allows to visualize results in real time, while not at all complicated (nice one!)
rray wrote: The important thing is that the river Uv's are as straight as possible
I was about to suggest the same thing!

sant0s

Post by sant0s » 24 Dec 2017, 11:54

Good morning everyone :)

just found a compound that actually works perfect and with some modification, its exactly what I need.

Its the ICE Surface Deformer:

Either I try to modify the compound to use with curves, or I just use two outer curves (extracting from exsisting geometry or plotting or whatever) and loft them without freezing.
Than I can still move the curves. In combination with stBlend_Direct and when the curves have same amount of points, I guess I can than just blend the deformer. :)

Ill try that later, but very happy with all the results here.

Happy xmas again :)
sant0s

FXDude

Post by FXDude » 24 Dec 2017, 20:22

Cool! looking forward to results,
your previously posted clip  (like sand running down hill crevasses)  was already quite neat !

Also, did you happen to spot your backed-up Vimeo Ice clips ?

Then we could ask pooby if it's okay to post them.

Still wondering what could possibly be the reason for removing them,
these were some 170 clips of  (..both currently -AND- historically important..)  pure gold ! :-??

But anyhoo, Merry Christmasss!!!!   :-h O:-)

rray

Post by rray » 24 Dec 2017, 21:35

Cool! looking forward to results,
same, looks promising
Maybe, but your ICE Method allows to visualize results in real time, while not at all complicated (nice one!)
Cheers! And that's an important point - ICE is realtime. I think you can avoid having to tweak two uv sets by just adding a value like U=2 to the "from_uv" set instead of using a "to_uv" set and morphing between "from" and "to"!

sant0s

Post by sant0s » 24 Dec 2017, 22:21

Hey :)

Ill gonna check my backups these days, but another idea and I guess, that would be way more easy, is to probably support pooby by activating the plus account since I only have very little of all his tutorials saved.
He had an Plus account and without I think, there is only a limited amount of videos allowed.
Does any of you have closer contatc to him? I dont wanna go on his nerves, I already asked him alot and he made "me" two videos (for all of course, but he explained very detailed about the vector stuff after I asked). :D
If so, I would immeadilatily transfer an amount to get these videos back! :)
FXDude wrote: 24 Dec 2017, 20:22 your previously posted clip  (like sand running down hill crevasses)  was already quite neat !
Thx, still have to work on the shader - its glaciers melting actually. :P

Like the domino stuff, we are still working on it.
And atm all the responsible ppl are in there earned holidays and I am waiting to go on.
But I'd love to post them with the final look since my mate Richard always puts his special Post on it and gives them a nicer look.
But since we are actually a very small studio, we never get on these crazy quality some ppl here show and I am always a bit ashamed, even when the customers are always happy. :D

Something from the last month and my first tries in Redshift + simulation in Houdini is these here (08:16):

I made the cave when the scientist leaves + lava sim, on a laptop with 8gig ram and and i5 from like 4 years ago. :D

Another one, second project in Redshift, is the "Karsthoehle" here - made all beside the camera, the globe and Rain-Post, thats made by Richard (03:46):

But Ill post the other projects as soon as they are ready :)

You have some more hours good christmas - I already filled up with food and we enjoy some 90s Xmas Movies, back to good memories :D

sant0s

sant0s

Post by sant0s » 24 Dec 2017, 22:41

Oh an one more off topic :D

Thats a Redshift test with volumetric VDB clouds to get some nice lighting/shadows:

The floor when the glacier is gone is shitty, but I like the light. The "stuttering" is becouse I rendered only every 5th frame to have a fast result. Rendered in more or less 1 hour.
The clouds are made with a very low resolution in Houdini by just offsetting the position and animating some parameters over time.

And these here is another Redshift test. Sadly I messed the scaling (had to scale the trees to 0.001 and multiply by scalar to 0.1 again ^^) so the trees at the end look very rasterized - but with the right scaling, the dont look like planted by hand anymore. :)
All tests for the project.

So, sry for OT :)

rray

Post by rray » 24 Dec 2017, 23:54

Interesting stuff thanks for posting :-bd And the production quality is more than ok imho, especially considering constraints that come along with a real TV production.

There seems to be a chance of restoring deleted videos on vimeo, just in case: https://vimeo.com/forums/help/topic:130991 If there's no news I'll try to drop him a message before the 2 months limit run out that they mention (Mark would be busy for a while ;))

sant0s

Post by sant0s » 25 Dec 2017, 00:40

rray wrote: 24 Dec 2017, 23:54 Interesting stuff thanks for posting :-bd And the production quality is more than ok imho, especially considering constraints that come along with a real TV production.

There seems to be a chance of restoring deleted videos on vimeo, just in case: https://vimeo.com/forums/help/topic:130991 If there's no news I'll try to drop him a message before the 2 months limit run out that they mention (Mark would be busy for a while ;))
Hehhe, yea!
Cool thing on TV Productions is, that we have more or less constant jobs with the same ppl.
Thats is giving us the daily bread. :D
Time is often quite short, sometimes anoying. But since we are using more and more Redshift only, we dont have to worry about render times anymore, gives some more freedom to test cooler things.

Would be great to know, if there is a way to restore the videos or any other way to save that treasure!
If you have any news, let me know - I am in.

AceMastermind

Post by AceMastermind » 25 Dec 2017, 07:18

sant0s wrote: 24 Dec 2017, 22:21 I already asked him alot and he made "me" two videos (for all of course, but he explained very detailed about the vector stuff after I asked). :D
There are 2 videos about vectors here:
https://vimeo.com/pooby/videos/page:2/sort:date
are either of those the ones he made for you?

https://vimeo.com/156559211
https://vimeo.com/156686656

sant0s

Post by sant0s » 25 Dec 2017, 08:33

AceMastermind wrote: 25 Dec 2017, 07:18 are either of those the ones he made for you?
jop, I asked something about vectors and he made them to explain. ;)

FXDude

Post by FXDude » 25 Dec 2017, 18:15

Kudos ! That's excellent work!

is to probably support pooby by activating the plus account [...]
He had an Plus account and without I think, there is only a limited amount of videos allowed.
Hum Right, could very well be it! (and hope it is)

I think I will raise a dedicated fund for these things..