knit the strand

Plugins linking to this thread: (hide)

Knit Strand ProAuthor: Anto Matkovic
This plugin by Kristinka Hair author Anto Matkovic is a newer version of the 2009 release »Knit the Stand«, which generates realistic procedural fabric by interweaving ICE strands following the UV lines of a given NURBS surface. For increased realism it supports customizable weaving patterns, position noise, tip flattening etc..

The new version adds some major features: better distribution, now strand size always fits between neighboring strands, whatever deformation is used lighter in render time: strand segments are generated sparingly, also there are built-in strand resolution attributes default is spread in X-Z plane. NURBS surface is optional, strands will fit to NURBS only if NURBS is connected diagonal distribution, like common fabrics. Should be much faster than old one. Fitting on strand size rely on simple, 'parallel' computation, not on geometry query by distance.

Thumnail image above (large version) was created by Piotrek Marczak using the old version of this plugin. Follow the 5+ page thread on si-community (Note: Download of new version is on page 4 of that thread).

local backup: knit_strand_pro.rar

Discussions about SOFTIMAGEs© Interactive Creative Environment©
Chris_TC

Re: knit the strand

Post by Chris_TC » 24 Apr 2013, 21:00

Alright, I'll see if I can dig into your compound and find the attributes I need. It may be a few years old, but it's very cool and useful, so thank you!

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 24 Apr 2013, 21:37

Chris_TC wrote:Alright, I'll see if I can dig into your compound and find the attributes I need. It may be a few years old, but it's very cool and useful, so thank you!
Of course there's question with diagonal distribution, what to do when array reaches the boundary of NURBS surface, These old compounds creates another emission, in order to fill the corners. Here's a bit newer one which does 'reflection' on boundaries, allowing only one basic emission, more uniform strand distribution as well.
Anyway, if I'll do it again, I think I'll try to use basic pattern, created manually, compound then should be responsible for variations. Should be much easier to figure out by user. But this is only idea, for now.

Chris_TC

Post by Chris_TC » 24 Apr 2013, 22:54

Oh very cool, thank you! :)

McNistor

Post by McNistor » 27 Apr 2013, 17:48

This is freaking amazing Mathaeus. ^:)^
The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools.
-Thucydides

izze

Post by izze » 28 Jan 2015, 16:50

I am always using your tools in ways that they were never meant to be used.... But, is is possible to have the root and tip of the strands taper in size? I'm trying to make a piece of burlap cloth and was trying to get frayed edges. Can you say if this is possible? I would greatly appreciate any help.

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 29 Jan 2015, 10:20

izze wrote:I am always using your tools in ways that they were never meant to be used.... But, is is possible to have the root and tip of the strands taper in size? I'm trying to make a piece of burlap cloth and was trying to get frayed edges. Can you say if this is possible? I would greatly appreciate any help.
In Melena, there's compound called 'get strand ratio' or something, able to remap the strand array to 0 - 1 float range, that is, suitable to plug into fCurve node. fCurve node goes into Set Data, Self.StrandSize . Perhaps you'll need to put Self.StrandPosition into vector input of 'get strand ratio' compound.
This will do something meaningful only if you have a 'symmetrical' function curve. All that only with pattern like in pic. In other 'knit' nodes, having for example a diagonal pattern, by nature of thing, strands are not aligned like hair, root close to root. Function curve won't be useful.
Anyway you could transfer the values for Self.StrandSize from another geometry, for example using Get Closest Location, taking the weight map 'weights' attribute from external mesh grid, aligned to knit network.

izze

Post by izze » 29 Jan 2015, 14:48

Thank you so much. Especially when I keep asking so many questions. Your keeping XSI alive for all us mathematically challenged folks.