Merge materials from group

Discussions about SOFTIMAGEs© Interactive Creative Environment©
homam

Merge materials from group

Post by homam » 17 Mar 2017, 04:51

Hello,

My question is about ICE modeling and specifically about merging material IDs in ICE.

In the previous graph, I have an existing mesh with its materials which I'm merging with a group of objects that have different materials.

My question, what is the easiest way to transfer/merge material IDs from the group to the final merged mesh?

Thanks,
Attachments
ice_materials.jpg

Draise

Re: Merge materials from group

Post by Draise » 17 Mar 2017, 13:40

If I recall, you need to set ICE materials to clusters. So what I have done is apply library materials to an empty with an ICE tree, set the material library array.

Then in the clone base object, apply the ICE materials from that empty to its clusters, this makes the Material ID's.

Then in the new merged object, I can then call those materials from the empty, and apply to the ID's of the cloned base object.

Not sure if it makes sense.. I'm still learning.. but I'll see if I can get you an example.

homam

Re: Merge materials from group

Post by homam » 17 Mar 2017, 15:45

I came across this post:
https://xsisupport.com/2010/08/06/ice-l ... ting-data/

I think it explains why i'm having hard time accessing material IDs from the group. Based on the post I should be able to "get" but not "set" attributes on group of objects.

If someone can share an example on getting per poly data from a group of objects that would be great :)

Thanks!