creating a cluster of particles..

Discussions about SOFTIMAGEs© Interactive Creative Environment©
thorsnuts

creating a cluster of particles..

Post by thorsnuts » 03 Dec 2016, 01:33

Hello..

Im trying to create a random cluster of particles on a mesh. My method at the moment is creating a total number of particles on a surface. The Ice Tree is in the Modeling stack and I tried using Coagulate but it doesn't seem to do anything. I tried bringing into the Post Sim stack... again, doesn't do anything. What am I over looking?

Is there a way to do this without simulating the point cloud?

Thanks for the help

Mathaeus

Re: creating a cluster of particles..

Post by Mathaeus » 03 Dec 2016, 23:32

If you mean Coagulate Force, theoretically it should work without simulating, by adding the output of that node to point position, and by plugging the Set Data into Repeat node, repeating let's say ten times or more. But this should be really slow.
If doesn't simulate, is it convenient to just filter the emission by weight map on emitter. While weight map is modulated by turbulence or something.

thorsnuts

Post by thorsnuts » 04 Dec 2016, 20:17

thanks for advice... I ended up using the spotty weight map idea, which i had thought of, but i figured the coagulate force would look much better.

Can I ask another question then... How can I get the particle spheres to grow on top of each other. I have this scene where the particles must grow over time but stay in cluster groups. But they all grow to side.

Is there a way to get them to cluster randomly as they grow. To the side, on top... ect? This is where I thought the coagulate node would be much more helpful.

I've attached some pics of the scene from beginning, mid, and end. I tried uploading a clip, but it wouldn't let me.

thanks for the time
Attachments
sample-1.jpg
sample-2.jpg
sample-3.jpg

CYTE

Post by CYTE » 05 Dec 2016, 09:44

Hey thorsnuts,
you could also try the following. start witch a few particles on the surface . each representing a later cluster. you coud then use a repeat with counter node and a clone point to spread them...
i made i quick scene to show my approach. maybe it can help you!
Cheers
CYTE
Attachments
ParticleClusterGrowth.rar
(189.96 KiB) Downloaded 87 times

thorsnuts

Post by thorsnuts » 05 Dec 2016, 16:08

Thats pretty awesome!!!! thanks for time dude. very cool. It will be very useful.

CYTE

Post by CYTE » 05 Dec 2016, 16:21

You`re welcome! glad i could help :)