using one cache file but still kinda simulating?

Discussions about SOFTIMAGEs© Interactive Creative Environment©
sant0s

using one cache file but still kinda simulating?

Post by sant0s » 18 Nov 2016, 16:20

hey there :)

Build an ICE setup that instance some random geometry. Quite alot particles, but thats not the problem.
I cached one frame via 'cache on file' node and also read it via that node. I unpluged the main ICETree, of course.

Than, when I step on the timeline to frame two, the particles will show some seconds later, way faster than uncached - what should be normal ;)
But when I change to lets say frame 50, it will need a long time to show the particles.

Like I said, its cached and I unplugged the original ICETree. Oh and particles are set to points and only 1% are displayed.
When Render I completly hide visibility. But even that it needs ages to start rendering.

I tested to move the ICETree to Post-Simulation Stack, but thats not chaning anything.
Also tried it with the cache manager: caching some frames, loading it into the animation mixer and just stretch the cache timeline... also needs long time.

Where could be the problem?

thx alot,
sant0s

Mathaeus

Re: using one cache file but still kinda simulating?

Post by Mathaeus » 18 Nov 2016, 21:34

What is used to set instancing. If there's 'ShapeInstanceTime' ICE attribute anywhere in instancing compound, you can expect described behavior, longer load on frame 50 than frame 2, generally longer than it should be, because possible animated deformation of each instance is considered as well. If I'm correct, all compounds under 'geometry instancing' folder, are 'slow ones', calling mentioned 'ShapeInstanceTime' attribute.
Should be a way faster loading, when using only 'instance shape' node, which loads instance geometry only at current frame.

Generally, 'playback point cloud' used for final rendering, should not be simulated. If everything is cached correctly, should be possible to have only one, reading 'file cache' node in *another*, un-simulated point cloud, or in post-simulation of copied point cloud, while ICE tree in simulation region is deleted.

sant0s

Re: using one cache file but still kinda simulating?

Post by sant0s » 18 Nov 2016, 22:39

thanks alot, @Mathaeus
I deleted the PointCloud and created a new one in Post-Simulation stack.
Now it starts rendering very fast and also stepping on the timeline is what I thought a cache should be :D

One thing I wonder, when I read the cache file with 'cache on file", it will always add a [Frame] behind my filename.
I unplugged the 'current frame' and set the frame manual on frame 1 and also changed the name of the cache file to cache_1.
Just wondering, why I cannot just use the filename without [Frame] ^^

But anyway, simple solution, saving alot of time - thx again! :)