Select and wrap boundary method?

Discussions about SOFTIMAGEs© Interactive Creative Environment©
Unaided

Select and wrap boundary method?

Post by Unaided » 05 Nov 2016, 21:37

I have done this steps (image1):
1. Clone a mesh like Houdini CopyOp.
2. Cutoff for this clone.
3. Weld points to obtain single boundary.

At this point I would like 'procedurallize' some actions that I need to do (handly done in image2)
4. Select boundary.
5. Duplicate edge boundary.
6. Apply a Shrink wrap o construct similar procedure to obtain 'extrapolate' edge boundary to shape.

Image1

Image2

Unaided

Re: Select and wrap boundary method?

Post by Unaided » 06 Nov 2016, 16:02

I found this article and compund, and as note says, from SI 2012 it have own methods to get boundaries from components. However I don't see any ice attribute like 'EdgeBoundary'.

Then there are some attribute to get boundary edges?

Unaided

Post by Unaided » 06 Nov 2016, 16:52

I have found this approach but from get VertexIsBorder I obtain all share edges for points that condition is true. How I could get only 'EdgeIsBorder' from these border points?
image3.png

NNois

Post by NNois » 07 Nov 2016, 00:42

Hi,
I like the intention but since you mentionned houdini a simple question : why spending days to find how to do that in soft while in another package this nearly is a 3 clic operation ???

Unaided

Post by Unaided » 07 Nov 2016, 07:15

Well, this have a easy answer. I'm not a math brain profile, and procedural thinking is hard for me, so don"t matters the software in this question.
However, eventually I have to model some stuff that it looks propertly using procedural methods, so I try.

I'm a Softimage user from XSI 3, and have been use this package daily, so where I don't be enough by procedural it's very easy for me do it by hand modelling.
In other side I messing arround with Houdini from version 8, but I never it used seriously. Also at current day I keep seeing Houdini as not user friendly for traditional modelling methods.

Despite this and come back to the topic, I tried build the same in Houdini. I have to say that you have reason in your affirmation. However I have should asked in Houdini forum how to build a cutoff for CopyOp, and now I'm locked that the group sop gets only connected points/poly islands.

rray

Post by rray » 07 Nov 2016, 19:40

You can try using EdgeToNodes for this. It outputs an array of nodes (samples) per edge.
If the array size is 2 it should be a border edge(?) No idea if this works.
--------------
edit .. turns out the size of the array is always 4. But if the edge is on the border, you'll find -1 entries in the array. That's how you could identify them
softimage resources section updated Jan 5th 2024

Unaided

Post by Unaided » 07 Nov 2016, 23:00

Thank you for your reply rray. Finally I used the compound isBoundary above linked. However I will try your method.
Last edited by Unaided on 09 Nov 2016, 07:02, edited 1 time in total.

Unaided

Post by Unaided » 07 Nov 2016, 23:16

Now I'm locked into step 4 and 5.
By one side IsBoundary return an array with index edges
In the other side I have a get self.PointPosition to ClosestLocation of target geometry acting as deformer like ShrinkWarp.

I would like filter this self.PointPosition with Points of the edges from isBoundary. I do not found how to get this data.

Essentialy I would need get each point of the each edge of which I know its index (data from IsBoundary).

Unaided

Post by Unaided » 09 Nov 2016, 16:34

I have seen VertexIsBorder attribute that is useful for me.
So I don't need find the way to get points from edge index returned by isBoundary compound.

Unaided

Post by Unaided » 11 Dec 2016, 02:34

Finally I have completed this personal excercise, and I wish to share here a videotutorial that I have been done. Thanks so much the people for its help.

Copies with cutoff in Softimage

Too I wanted try to do the same excercise in Houdini, and I have been a great experience.

CopySOP with cutoff in Houdini

PS. My apologizes for my bad english.

Bullit

Post by Bullit » 13 Dec 2016, 07:56

Very nice. Do you think it is possible to have a progressive or stepped reducing in size to fill more area?