image gradient to ICE

Discussions about SOFTIMAGEs© Interactive Creative Environment©
maksut

image gradient to ICE

Post by maksut » 28 Dec 2014, 22:01

Hi guys
i have a simple gradient image that i need convert to array of scalars or 3d vectors without using texture map attribute and after that connect with ICE tree.
is this possible?
i was try to use python and standart ice gradient node but gradient doesn't support more markers than 16

csaez

Re: image gradient to ICE

Post by csaez » 29 Dec 2014, 03:23

Hi maksut,

I don't have softimage in front of me, but a general solution might be something like getting the uv coords by point from Softimage (using something like UVWProperty.Elements.Array), query the color information at that pixel using a python library like PIL/Pillow, and storing the information as an ICEAttribute per object array sorted by point ID (Geometry.AddICEAttribute).

It's a bit of a roundtrip, but I can't see a better approach without using a texture map.
Are you sure you cannot use a temporary texture map to extract the data through python? It would ease things (not all systems have PIL/Pillow installed by default).

Cheers!

maksut

Re: image gradient to ICE

Post by maksut » 29 Dec 2014, 06:19

csaez wrote:Hi maksut,

I don't have softimage in front of me, but a general solution might be something like getting the uv coords by point from Softimage (using something like UVWProperty.Elements.Array), query the color information at that pixel using a python library like PIL/Pillow, and storing the information as an ICEAttribute per object array sorted by point ID (Geometry.AddICEAttribute).

It's a bit of a roundtrip, but I can't see a better approach without using a texture map.
Are you sure you cannot use a temporary texture map to extract the data through python? It would ease things (not all systems have PIL/Pillow installed by default).

Cheers!
Hey Csaez,
Super thanks for the nice solution. Pillow module is exactly what i need for that!