Ice Advice

Discussions about SOFTIMAGEs© Interactive Creative Environment©
kiwimation

Ice Advice

Post by kiwimation » 05 Mar 2014, 14:02

I was after some ICE advice. Before this news of the end of Softimage I was about to get into ICE and do some serious training with it. ? I know enough with ICE to get ok results, but really wanted to take it to the next level. I’m in no real rush to change apps but my question is, would a good knowledge of ICE translate to say Houdini or another node based system? Or would I be better off just training in a new package?

Thanks

azurecgi

Re: Ice Advice

Post by azurecgi » 05 Mar 2014, 14:13

kiwimation wrote:I was after some ICE advice. Before this news of the end of Softimage I was about to get into ICE and do some serious training with it. ? I know enough with ICE to get ok results, but really wanted to take it to the next level. I’m in no real rush to change apps but my question is, would a good knowledge of ICE translate to say Houdini or another node based system? Or would I be better off just training in a new package?

Thanks
To use ICE to a high level, you really need to understand vectors, and this knowledge is universal once you understand it, so you can use it in any 3D programming language (Python/MEL/etc.) or in Houdini nodes!

Pooby

Post by Pooby » 05 Mar 2014, 14:16

Totally. If I wanted to teach anyone about how the fundimentals of 3d worked, I'd use ICE.

The fact that its not going to be supported in a couple of years does nothing to diminish its usability, now or beyond.

Chris_TC

Post by Chris_TC » 05 Mar 2014, 18:47

I've already watched some Houdini content, and as an ICE user I feel quite at home.
Of course Houdini goes way farther than ICE in that everything inside the application seems to be nodal. I double-clicked on a standard spotlight, and it seemed to be entirely made up of nodes, including the icon that's displayed in the viewport, and you can rewire them all.