CrowdFX People Attending Ceremony

Discussions about SOFTIMAGEs© Interactive Creative Environment©
gustavoeb

Re: CrowdFX People Attending Ceremony

Post by gustavoeb » 24 Dec 2013, 15:44

Hi Frank, apparently my CrowdFX knowledge is too little to be of any help. I haven't done much with it other then little tests. I guess you can contact people in support or the SI mailing list, there might be more experienced people there.

As for resizing images this is the code for it:

Code: Select all

[rimg=SizeInPixels]myURL[/rimg]
Gustavo Eggert Boehs
Blog: http://www.gustavoeb.com.br/

Frank1000

Post by Frank1000 » 24 Dec 2013, 16:39

Hi Gustavo, ok and thx for the previous help, it exactly worked that way. + thx or the bb-code example :-)
Merry Christmas all,
Frank

Bullit

Post by Bullit » 24 Dec 2013, 18:23

Seems CrowdFX is full of tricks.

Frank1000

Post by Frank1000 » 28 Dec 2013, 00:16

A cheap way to setup actors is to drop a default pedestrian and gator to your desired models.
ok i've now came to the GATORing. I have a default pedestrian and imported a .fbx model over from project.pinocchio (cool character builder).
The pinocchio model comes in some bigger so i have to scale it down to 0.104 to have similar sizes of both models. But when I GATOR it, it jumps back to its original scale. I've also tried to freeze SRT of the pinocchio model and also to scale the default pedestrian instead. But the pinocchio model always scales to the bigger size, so when i resized the default pedestrian to match up the pinnochio, the pinocchio after GATORing scaled even bigger in the same relation as before.

Question, what actually drives the scale, and how would i go ahead to avoid it to do the not wanted scaling ?

Bullit

Post by Bullit » 28 Dec 2013, 00:48

From here, Preparing a Model for CrowdFX : http://download.autodesk.com/global/doc ... d30e306892

Be aware that the scale of Maya models is often quite a lot larger than the standard default size of characters in Softimage. Make sure to set the scale accordingly in the Import FBX Options dialog box; for example, use Decimeters as the unit of scale. You can also parent the whole model to a null, and then scale down that null to match other characters you're using in CrowdFX.
Might help.

This blog also has a list of sequential actions to prepare the work in CrowdFX http://www.matthornback.com/blog/intro- ... e-crowdfx/

Some might have changed to 2014: Softimage 2014 New Features:

Frank1000

Post by Frank1000 » 28 Dec 2013, 01:44

Be aware that the scale of Maya models is often quite a lot larger than the standard default size of characters in Softimage. Make sure to set the scale accordingly in the Import FBX Options dialog box; for example, use Decimeters as the unit of scale. You can also parent the whole model to a null, and then scale down that null to match other characters you're using in CrowdFX.
(Preparing Model for CrowdFX).

ok i did those steps, but it still was re-scaling the new actor. I've seen that the default pedestrian has different scaling on its model-root, its scaling-null (rig ?) and the mesh itself. I've tried to freeze them in different ways, with dragging stuff out of root-model, freezing it and bringing stuff back in. As well as trying to freeze the scale-null etc., but not yet catching. I had it that far that the pedestrian was as big as the new-actor, but the rig (null-scale) stayed little and when i wanted to scale it, the pedestrian started to scale further.

this one here is a good introduction, but doesn't cover that kind of depth to get the scaling right

Frank1000

Post by Frank1000 » 28 Dec 2013, 03:56

ok i've tried a whole lot of ways now, and watched lot of tutorials etc., can't even describe any more, but can't get it working at all.

What i need is to add an actor for crowdFX from MotionBuilder. As far as I understand i don't even need to GATOR it because MotionBuilder has the same rig and the .fbx imports it.

I need someone experienced to lead me a bit through this please. If possible with an online session via google hangout to shorten up the process.

Regards,
Frank

Bullit

Post by Bullit » 28 Dec 2013, 20:27

I could scale okay with scale null. But i think you need to sclae your geometry and then freeze the scale before getting it in the pedestrian null.