ICE controling OGL vertex and polygon color?

Discussions about SOFTIMAGEs© Interactive Creative Environment©
probiner

ICE controling OGL vertex and polygon color?

Post by probiner » 23 Aug 2013, 01:15

Always wanted a Toplogy valence display mode like above.

Can I use ICE to:
- Have vertices valence control vertices OGL display color?
- Have polygons valence control polygons OGL display color?

I've managed to get the vertices colors sorted that way, like above:
but I don't know how to color the OGL vertices display with it. Made a google search and the only interesting thing I got was for Vertex Color Maps, not the vertices' display.

As for polygons I don't know:
- How to get the polygons' sides in ICE.
- How to assign a color to a whole polygon and not vertices.

Cheers

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Re: ICE controling OGL vertex and polygon color?

Post by Hirazi Blue » 23 Aug 2013, 08:13

While using a different approach I once wrote my little TopoColors to achieve a similar effect. Might be worth checking out.
;)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

grahamef

Post by grahamef » 23 Aug 2013, 18:12

probiner wrote:Can I use ICE to:
- Have vertices valence control vertices OGL display color?
- Have polygons valence control polygons OGL display color?
For vertices, you can't control the color directly. Points do have a Color attribute but that's only used for particles. For polygon vertices, you can apply a attribute display property or show values on the tree connection.

For polygons, you can apply a vertex color property and set the polynodes' cls.clustername.Vertex_Color.Colors attribute.

Also make sure this tree is at the top of the stack or else it won't show the final values.
Attachments
topology_color_code.png

Falam

Post by Falam » 27 Aug 2013, 01:55

grahamef - Nice Job.

TopOColors is more streamlined, the guy who came up with this idea in general, then sold it, is a smart guy :p /:)

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 27 Aug 2013, 09:39

@No, Falam, not that again... :p
There is a difference between having an idea and figuring out a way to implement it. And while you absolutely were the one who inspired me to figure it out (and I'm grateful for that!), the actual figuring out was done by me (I've got the brain scars to prove it)
;)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

csaez

Post by csaez » 27 Aug 2013, 10:10

[OFFTOPIC]

I love this talk about ideas/implementation.

Rilla Alexander: Without the Doing, Dreaming is Useless

[/OFFTOPIC]

probiner

Post by probiner » 22 Sep 2013, 03:42

Many thanks to Hirazi Blue and grahamef for cracking this one. I was a bit occupied and up in the clouds to come back and pick this up again.
Won't use it for modeling, but probably for demo purposes where it's nice to see the topo info update as the model goes.
Viewport "Override Object Properties" and Visibility "Property Maps" are OFF

Remarks:
- I'm fairly new to SI and ICE and contexts always bite me... For example I couldn't simply plug a PolygonstoVertices to color a vertex color map to color Polygons, I had to go grahamef way (which is twitchy if one does a "show values" on the Select Case output). Also I could filter the vertices that where one an open edge, even with this( http://vimeo.com/19339590) It gives me a nice 0 and 1 on the edges but how do I relate that to the corresponding vertices. Strange there's no attribute like EdgesToPolygons outputing integers of 1 or more. I got a long way to go... Cheated with a Cluster.
- Went with particles for vertices display. But no way to relate them to pixel size. So zooming in or out with this setup makes a difference.
- I don't understand why some Render Tree nodes aren't present in ICE. Color Correction, Fractals, etc.

Cheers

PS:funny the forum doesn't allow emdl files. Oh well zip does the trick...
Attachments
Topology_Colors.zip
sample model Topology Color Code
(41.73 KiB) Downloaded 145 times
Last edited by probiner on 22 Sep 2013, 20:59, edited 1 time in total.

Ahmidou

Post by Ahmidou » 22 Sep 2013, 03:53

Well the math behind color correction is quite easy to implement, ant the fractal is just a turbulence in ICE.
Cheers.

probiner

Post by probiner » 26 Sep 2013, 01:33

It is... just split the color, make changes and join again, but that's not the whole color handling one does. There also gradients/mapping. Any this feeling comes from LW where while nodes might not be as powerfull I can use all the nodes in any node editor. So I just copy and paste solutions between them. My bad :P

Also found out about "VertexIsBorder" propertie. It's not exactly EdgeToPolygons that would allow to find not only open border but non-manifold edges, but suites this challenge perfectly. So I don't have to cheat with a Cluster.

Cheers