Get the tip of hair that has fizz animation on

Discussions about SOFTIMAGEs© Interactive Creative Environment©
Robert_XSI

Get the tip of hair that has fizz animation on

Post by Robert_XSI » 21 Feb 2013, 17:06

Hi, I have a hair with some built-in animation effects on it, and I would like to emit particles from the tip of the
animated hair....

I am a bit newbie in ICE.

How can I get the tip of hair that has fizz animation on?

Maybe in ICE or in other ways (script to convert hair to curves, or sg).

Thanks,
Robert

Bullit

Re: Get the tip of hair that has fizz animation on

Post by Bullit » 21 Feb 2013, 19:30

Check the sample scene with fireworks.

Robert_XSI

Post by Robert_XSI » 22 Feb 2013, 10:22

Bullit wrote:Check the sample scene with fireworks.
Thanks!

Is it in the sample scenes of Softimage?

ICE_FireWorks.scn
or
Particle_Spawning_Fireworks.scn
?

Sorry, but they do not have any hair in it. I need the real deformed endposition of hair (not guides, but deformed hair).

SamHowell

Post by SamHowell » 22 Feb 2013, 11:33

Are you talking about Softimage hair or ICE strands? Your request is slightly hard to understand.

Do you have any examples?

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 22 Feb 2013, 11:36

I'm assuming you mean you are currently using "Joe Alter hair"/"XSI Hair" as opposed to any ICE Strand hair solutions. AFAIK there is no direct way to get our "Joe Alter hair"/"XSI Hair" solution interact in any meaningful way with ICE directly. Your best bet would probably setting the whole thing up in one of the two ICE Strand based Hair solutions, Kristinka & Melena. I hear Melena does support some way to let the strand based hair and the "Joe Alter hair" interact (grow ICE strands from guide hair/drive original XSI Hair from Melena ICE Strands). I don't know if Kristinka has such a system in place, but that's just blatant ignorance on my part.
For Kristinka go here
For Melena you'll have to visit the local backup @ rray.de
;)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

Robert_XSI

Post by Robert_XSI » 22 Feb 2013, 11:40

SamHowell wrote:Are you talking about Softimage hair or ICE strands? Your request is slightly hard to understand.

Do you have any examples?
Thanks all. I will have a look at Kristinka...

Sorry, it is real built-in Softimage hair animated in the Effects tab of Hair Generator Operator.

By the way, can I attach and deform a mesh by an animated or deforming ICE strand?

THX
R.

SamHowell

Post by SamHowell » 22 Feb 2013, 11:56

That's a shame. The Hair and Simulation tabs in Softimage pre-date ICE by a long time. There is no direct or easy way to use them within ICE (correct me if I'm wrong).

Yes you can deform a mesh by ICE strands in certain circumstances. What kind of mesh do you mean?

Bullit

Post by Bullit » 22 Feb 2013, 21:03

The tip of softimage hair is not selectable? If it is so make it a cluster and then emit from it.

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 22 Feb 2013, 22:02

Unfortunately,

nothing of Shave/XSI Hair is accessible by ICE, except very basic stuff like kinematics or input parameters, which most likely doesn't belongs to Shave at all. State isn't better in other apps with integrated Shave - afaik, there is no any plugin for Max on planet Earth, able to do anything with Shave in Max. But SI Community won't give up :).

I'd go with Melena with such stuff, as it is much more generic than Kristinka Hair. Melena had a bunch of custom operators too. kH is more focused to specific stuff, styling of long hair and so on - with so many parameters which can be only confusing, once it's pushed out of main purpose. Also, as Hirazi said, there is no any custom operator or custom ICE node in kH Stuff.

Robert_XSI

Post by Robert_XSI » 27 Feb 2013, 12:57

Mathaeus wrote:Unfortunately,

nothing of Shave/XSI Hair is accessible by ICE, except very basic stuff like kinematics or input parameters, which most likely doesn't belongs to Shave at all. State isn't better in other apps with integrated Shave - afaik, there is no any plugin for Max on planet Earth, able to do anything with Shave in Max. But SI Community won't give up :).

I'd go with Melena with such stuff, as it is much more generic than Kristinka Hair. Melena had a bunch of custom operators too. kH is more focused to specific stuff, styling of long hair and so on - with so many parameters which can be only confusing, once it's pushed out of main purpose. Also, as Hirazi said, there is no any custom operator or custom ICE node in kH Stuff.
Thanks All of you for your help, still struggling...

Now I am emitting particles (and then strands) onto a surface (without simulation, I would rather not simulate it if possible), and would like to deform the surface later. Now the particles attached to the surface flicker, they are somehow losing their original emit location.

Here is the scene.

How can I attach these particles to be aligned to a deformed surface without flickering?

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/51409969/Softi ... ticles.zip

THX
R

Bullit

Post by Bullit » 27 Feb 2013, 14:10

Did you use the "stick to location" node?