Objects or object references fed into arrays

Discussions about SOFTIMAGEs© Interactive Creative Environment©
forsgren

Objects or object references fed into arrays

Post by forsgren » 01 Oct 2012, 00:15

Hi! The idea is to have a group of objects, torus, torus1 torus2 ... , feeding them into a array, getting them back from the array and to cool stuff with them in a while-loop. The problem is I can't get the objects, the objects names or their references into the array compound unless I convert them into strings. The problem then is there is no string-to-reference-node. I know i've probably messed up somewhere cause there has to be a way to handle multiple objects inside arrays...right?

csaez

Re: Objects or object references fed into arrays

Post by csaez » 01 Oct 2012, 08:30

AFAIK the only way to get an array of valid object in ICE is via groups.

forsgren

Post by forsgren » 01 Oct 2012, 09:10

Ok... Is there anyway to recall them with some kind of group id, or store the group with set data?

CiaranM

Post by CiaranM » 04 Oct 2012, 12:56

What are you trying to do exactly? If you want to deform points for example, you can only deform the points of a single object at a time (the object the ICE tree is living on). You can't run a single ICE tree over all members of a group simultaneously. The workaround might be to merge all group members into a new mesh using ICE topology. Then you can figure out the group ID of each input mesh and deform each group member differently.
Attachments
mergeTopoWithID.zip
(119.92 KiB) Downloaded 76 times