Instance Shape with Group

Discussions about SOFTIMAGEs© Interactive Creative Environment©
julca

Instance Shape with Group

Post by julca » 13 Nov 2012, 18:33

Hello !

I have a problem with multiple point cloud which use an Instance Shape node that reference a group of object(s).
I noticed a big slowdown when I have to modify another object in the scene, like a point on a new cube. :(

If I changed Instance Shape on each point cloud and refer to the object directly it's become ok.
And the strange thing : when i switch again and reference the group, like before, it's still ok. But when i save and reload the scene it become again a slowdown when I modify points on cube.
instanceShape.jpg
Does anyone knows what's happening and how to fix it ?
I hope I was clear enough.
I join a model to reproduce my problem.

Thanks.
Attachments
InstanceShape_debug.rar
(68.26 KiB) Downloaded 128 times

rray

Re: Instance Shape with Group

Post by rray » 13 Nov 2012, 19:01

Don't know if it helps with the issue but you could try making the points clouds all instances of another pc themselves. This would reduce the large number of scene objects, which usually causes performance issues.
softimage resources section updated Jan 5th 2024

julca

Post by julca » 13 Nov 2012, 20:50

I know that the number of objects can causes performance issues, and i'm agree with you.
Here I create multiple point cloud to exaggerate my problem, but I have the same problem with less but more complicated point cloud.

In this model I have "only" 80 objects.
My question is why is there such a difference in performance between a picked object and picked group in the instance shape compound ?

Thank you for the time you spent answering my questions.

julca

Post by julca » 27 May 2013, 16:26

Hello !

I return to this post to point out that this problem persists in Softimage 2014.
instanceShape_and_group.jpg
In summary, subcomponents operations (on points edges polygons, etc.) on any object of the scene are slow...
...When I have some ICE Tree with "instance shape" node which reference a group instead of object directly.
You can compare the reactivity of translation operation on points of object and same on object mode.

I had already report this behavior on Autodesk page report but haven't any feedback about this point.

Is someone already seen a real slowdown on subcomponents operations ? It's probably your "instance shape" node which reference a group object ;) .
Now I have to prohibit me from using the groups directly in an ICE Tree.

Thank you for your attention.
Attachments
group.rar
(134.47 KiB) Downloaded 170 times