3ds max Radius Influence FX

Discussions about SOFTIMAGEs© Interactive Creative Environment©
TwinSnakes007

Re: 3ds max Radius Influence FX

Post by TwinSnakes007 » 17 Feb 2012, 16:56

druitre wrote:I can't find where you set the length for the transition - my polys always keep rotating uniformly at exactly the same speed. How do I make them rotate/transform etc faster, and how do I add variation or randomness to the timing?
Druitre, I'm actually learning as I go along as well. Great thing about ICE is that its so versatile, there's several ways to achieve the result you want. I'll wire up some "variations" on those effects and post them for ya.

-TS-

druitre

Post by druitre » 17 Feb 2012, 17:57

Cool, thanks.

druitre

Post by druitre » 22 Feb 2012, 23:09

hi Twinsnakes,

I'm still tweaking your scene around, trying to have the transition time of each particle/polygon be independently adjustable of the overall speed of transition (basically, have the first poly be completely done with its transition before the next one starts, could be related to a different falloff on 'test inside' maybe?)

And another one, trying to set the local axis of rotation for all polys to a uniform one. (as in a sphere set up to mimic rotation around Y would now rotate its polys all outward from the sphere's center, whereas I'd want all polys rotating around a global Y axis, for instance. If that's a clear description)

Would still appreciate those examples of random transition offset or speed adjustment! (I've managed the latter but it's making my overall effect somewhat too 'smooth', see above about separating transition time per poly from overall speed)

And at the moment having constant crashes whenever I do basically ANYthing within the pointcloud icetree. I didn't have that before (with the same scene, I mean). Do you have any idea what might be causing instability? I've found out that sometimes it helps to disconnect the tree before tweaking, or to hide all objects, or to disable the stack, but I'm still getting crashes. Strange.

thanks, Jasper

TwinSnakes007

Post by TwinSnakes007 » 23 Feb 2012, 00:28

Will post something tonight. Be busy looking at the Vray Release, Houdini 12 release and working on a ICE car rig.

I updated the (2) compounds, to make it easier to setup these kind of mesh-polygon effects. I'll post the new compounds tonight as well.

Neat part is, there's a Toyota commerical out that uses the "Assemble" type effect. I thought that was neat.

TwinSnakes007

Post by TwinSnakes007 » 23 Feb 2012, 05:30

Here's another 'Assemble' Effect...this time some Text coming together. Now, to control how fast they move and how fast they appear, you adjust the FCurve. We are using the TimeInState to determine how long the particle has been in a particular state or 'activated', and then using an FCurve to calculate the ratio between how long the particle has been in a state and a value range of [0..1].

A FCurve is modulating between the particles current position and it's EmitPosition [where it was born] and another FCurve is modulating the particle scale [its the only way I could figure out how to hide polygons].

This file also uses the newer versions of the compounds [Init Polygon Particle & Anim Polygon Particle], just to explain it a little, Anim Polygon Particles: You can select which Particle data you want applied to the Polygons. Since retrieving and applying this data has a cost [in terms of time], then it allows you to gain some speedup if you dont need Pos & Scale & Rotation. If you just want Position, then you dont have to waste time getting Scale/Rotation as well.

Here's the file: Logo Motion

[rimg=800]http://www.pasteall.org/pic/show.php?id=27057[/rimg]
Last edited by TwinSnakes007 on 29 Feb 2012, 15:24, edited 1 time in total.

TwinSnakes007

Post by TwinSnakes007 » 23 Feb 2012, 06:15

druitre wrote:my polys always keep rotating uniformly at exactly the same speed. How do I make them rotate/transform etc faster, and how do I add variation or randomness to the timing?
If you want to add randomness to each particle then you need to set a per-particle attribute that has a random value. I've attached a scene where I've created an attribute called "AnimModifier" where I've assigned a random value between .25 and .75 to each particle when its first created [emitted]. I then read that attribute in my tree and use it to vary how fast each particle moves and rotates.
Attachments
TheWaveRandom.zip
(222.46 KiB) Downloaded 218 times

druitre

Post by druitre » 23 Feb 2012, 10:35

Thanks! I was almost as far by myself :)

(seriously, the most useful thing for me is to first try myself, fail halfway through and then have someone bail me out. I'm dissecting what you did now)

druitre

Post by druitre » 23 Feb 2012, 23:42

BTW, I found out what was causing the (extreme) instability that I mentioned above. It got to a point where I couldn't do anything or soft would crash instantly. Turns out it was the thickness compound I had applied to a clone of the effected mesh. Only way to work is if I first disconnect that from my tree.

Just saying in case anyone else is combining twinsnakes' compounds with a thickness.

TwinSnakes007

Post by TwinSnakes007 » 27 Feb 2012, 06:34

So, here's another effect from Clovis Gay's video, its the one where one piece is on the screen and it does some kind of SRT transform - when that piece finishes, another piece appears and repeats the SRT transform, over and over - kinda like something is being assembled piece by piece.
AssemblePieces.zip
(164.9 KiB) Downloaded 205 times
[rimg=800]http://www.pasteall.org/pic/show.php?id=27343[/rimg]

Last edited by TwinSnakes007 on 29 Feb 2012, 15:24, edited 1 time in total.

Ramon

Post by Ramon » 27 Feb 2012, 08:09

In video rotation particles as I see around center, in Max rotation around edge. Try to offset center of rotation

TwinSnakes007

Post by TwinSnakes007 » 27 Feb 2012, 15:19

Ramon wrote:In video rotation particles as I see around center, in Max rotation around edge. Try to offset center of rotation
Create some geometry, move it's Center and then plug in a Instance Shape node into the Emit From Geometry shape port:

Instance Shape -> Shape.Emit From Geometry

iamVFX

Post by iamVFX » 14 Apr 2012, 11:47

Ruslan is doing some tests :-bd

And it's actually based on Cesar Saez's ice tree! [How I missed it?!]

[rimg=800]http://xsisupport.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/matricesandstuff.png[/rimg]

angelous4x

Post by angelous4x » 14 Jul 2012, 03:47

that is really great, C4D has something like this and i was wondering how it could be done in ice.

olivier jeannel

Post by olivier jeannel » 24 May 2013, 12:32

Simply excellent !
Mixed with bits of Christian God-zinger's rotate around edges, it provides super powers B-)