PhysX Fluid Simulation in Softimage ICE

Plugins linking to this thread: (hide)

PhysX Fluid SimulationAuthor: Oleg Bliznuk
This ICE compound wraps a CUDA implentation of the SPH fluid algorithm and allows a very fast particle simulation of fluids on NVidia GPUs. CPU mode is also available, also rather fast and not limited by the available GPU RAM. CPU mode can be used as the default mode or as a fallback mode.

See the si-community thread linked below for details and tips on using this compound. Here's a test video by Tekano with 2 million particles.

local backup: Waterfall_FX.rar

Discussions about SOFTIMAGEs© Interactive Creative Environment©
Mr.Core

Re: PhysX Fluid Simulation in Softimage ICE

Post by Mr.Core » 28 Jan 2012, 18:16

If you know it and you also cannot help - at least dont flood here ;) It is best what you can do, believe me :)

iamVFX

Post by iamVFX » 28 Jan 2012, 18:26

Mr.Core wrote:If you know it and you also cannot help - at least dont flood here ;) It is best what you can do, believe me :)
^#(^ I'm not a "flooding" here, just answering your question. Why so many people have problems with it. The answer is right here :ymsigh: You just don't want to hear it

Mr.Core

Post by Mr.Core » 28 Jan 2012, 18:30

I'll give you a hint - it was not a question

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 28 Jan 2012, 18:33

Please cool down, both of you... :-?
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

Mr.Core

Post by Mr.Core » 28 Jan 2012, 18:36

Hirazi Blue
Okay :ymhug:

Tekano

Post by Tekano » 29 Jan 2012, 01:53

Don't want to further ignite any ill feelings, but I can guess what iamVFX is hinting at - in that this version of physX SPH on the GPU is very unstable. Is that Nvidia's responsibility? who knows?, but I also don't think that Mr.Core is suggesting that this is a production grade replacement, its something to play with and as its so quick some of us expressed an interest and I'm very glad that he shared it with us.

Still , whilst working out the limitations am getting crashes , error code 3, display driver problems, gpu pipe failures , This is certainly not Mr Cores fault :D but im getting MUCH faster results than if I was waiting purely on the CPU with the old SPH. yes this CPU only version of SPH is still faster than Thiago's but its also not as stable or integrated into SI . eg I cannot seem to add or delete particles or use age etc without the solver failing. So yes, this in no way can replace what we have already but for simple stuff once being aware of your particular GPU limits, it could become a quicker tool in the arsenal :-bd heres a quick test with 1 million particles

Gossip is what no one claims to like, but everybody enjoys.

Chris_TC

Post by Chris_TC » 29 Jan 2012, 09:17

That looks quite impressive. What were the simulation times? And what would they have been with the Lagoa solver?

Tekano

Post by Tekano » 29 Jan 2012, 09:48

Hi Chris_TC simulation times are at the bottom of the screen, between 0.5 <> 1 fps as you can see I can orbit around whilst capturing etc. Lagoa, for 1 million particles at low settings, I'm not sure but are probably hundreds of times slower.. will have to check out with exactly the same sim.

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 29 Jan 2012, 12:37

And while you're at it, you might want to compare it to the old ICE-SPH addon Thiago Costa wrote (the one that involved its own closed testing Google group). Comparing this PhysX stuff to Lagoa almost seems unfair, as Lagoa tries very hard at being/doing too much IMHO. In that light the old ICE-SPH addon (still available @ rray.de) seems to be a fairer comparison...
;)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

Mr.Core

Post by Mr.Core » 29 Jan 2012, 13:17

>>Is that Nvidia's responsibility?
Not Nvidia, more like that it is simage fault, because physx can handle videomemory overflow and automatically switch to the CPU mode.
>> cannot seem to add or delete particles or use age etc without the solver failing.
It is my limitation, I will finish these features after implosia's release and it must be the same stable as built-in particle simulation node:)

Also I have notices that crash is happens in case when we add a huge number of particles at once, if we add the same number during some time - all work fine, seems like that crash is related to some kind of overlapping. In this way I was able to add about 2 millions on my gtx480 1.5gb.

Very nice test btw!

Tekano

Post by Tekano » 29 Jan 2012, 17:08

ok think I reached 2 million now by introducing slowly. . rendered with Fury2 so thats GPU rendering ontop of the GPU simulation. works out about 3 seconds per frame. 500 frames rendered in 10 minutes.

Interesting fact discovered to turn on CPU rendering mode is to set the max allowed particles to more than your card can cope, it then does give a n ice message to successfully kick in CPU mode for allowing more particles in the simulation.

McNistor

Post by McNistor » 09 Feb 2012, 18:01

Tekano,
In this last video the scale of the liquid tank seems to be several meters in length and the simulation looks believable. Can you please do a test at lower scales? Like a glass of water or a bucket. I'm curios how's holding up on this practical example.
The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools.
-Thucydides

Tekano

Post by Tekano » 10 Feb 2012, 10:32

here you go, its just a matter of setting the gravity x10 so instead of meters its cm and fiddling with the stiffness & viscosity until it moves ok.

McNistor

Post by McNistor » 19 Feb 2012, 07:40

First of all thanks for the simulation!

Now are you sure that modifying the gravity is a good idea? I know that in 3d you tweak the values until it looks right even though the values are not by far the physical correct ones...
Anyway, it looks alright but not that good when compared to the larger one. The liquid pouring from the glass should go straight down IMO. Just an idea.
Too bad I can't play with this right now, but it's good to be on the forums most of the time. ;)
The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools.
-Thucydides

Tekano

Post by Tekano » 19 Feb 2012, 13:20

Hi Mcnistor , am positive that changing the gravity in this instance is the best thing to do, the units in Softimage are arbitrary so 1 unit can equal 1 metre or 1 cm so this is all I am changing. the first splashy sim they were at 1 meter per unit the 2nd glass one is 1cm per unit. simples. Yes, in the last example they really should not come out so far as you say but then it was even more boring :) I think the viscosity or stiffness is too high so there is maybe some surface tension or other force making them push out that way. Often its easier to have a live action example to copy as pouring water can be fairly subjective after a few different sims :)

playing with this is much more fun than waiting up to 100 times longer for the lagoa or SPH on cpu simulation thats for sure

Maximus

Post by Maximus » 19 Feb 2012, 16:32

Mr.Core wrote:You must get this message in script editor after first frame:
// INFO : || CUDA Manager Is Obtained! Created PhysX World!
hi, i got a bit of time to play with this today, but i'm getting this on the script editor

// INFO : Cleared PhysX World!
// INFO : Get CUDA support failed! Created PhysX World!
// INFO : Succefully setted Fluid Attributes
// INFO : ADD STATIC OBSTACLE: STAT OBS ADDED SUCEFULLY!
// INFO : ADD NEW PT: New Particles Added Succefully!
// INFO : Performing Step Success!

some ideas? Dont think its using the gpu! i got a 560 card
Any suggestion where i should look to fix it?

Thanks, Max

edit: fixed by copyin the dlls in main softimage root folder!