PhysX Fluid Simulation in Softimage ICE

Plugins linking to this thread: (hide)

PhysX Fluid SimulationAuthor: Oleg Bliznuk
This ICE compound wraps a CUDA implentation of the SPH fluid algorithm and allows a very fast particle simulation of fluids on NVidia GPUs. CPU mode is also available, also rather fast and not limited by the available GPU RAM. CPU mode can be used as the default mode or as a fallback mode.

See the si-community thread linked below for details and tips on using this compound. Here's a test video by Tekano with 2 million particles.

local backup: Waterfall_FX.rar

Discussions about SOFTIMAGEs© Interactive Creative Environment©
Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Re: PhysX Fluid Simulation in Softimage ICE

Post by Hirazi Blue » 21 Aug 2013, 12:23

Lagoa is indeed as dead as the proverbial doornail, I'm afraid. Has happened to several plugins Softimage bought from their original developers to integrate BTW, Syflex possibly being the main exception, but that took quite some time also. One can only thank a deity of choice (or Eric Mootz himself), that Eric Mootz "only" sold them an older version of emPolygonizer, while still actively developing newer ones...
;)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

Bullit

Post by Bullit » 21 Aug 2013, 17:38

I mailed him, hope he replies.
It is more dependent on Autodesk than him.
I never fancied Lagoa seems to be too slow and at times unpredictable, plus came with worse part of many simulation engines: default values that are bad.

luceric

Post by luceric » 21 Aug 2013, 19:29

I'm really not sure if it makes sense to ask whether Lagoa to support PhysX, seems these two things are different, competing approaches to a physic system. with physX being a black box with its own plug-in system.

Mr.Core

Post by Mr.Core » 22 Aug 2013, 00:35

>>I have several SPH simulations in one scene and get the following error when more then one sim is active:
>>Is there a solution without restarting Si everytime I want to simulate another tree?

Unfortunatly, it will require to rewrite almost every part of this simple connector in manner like momentum does - holding the foundation object somewhere at the scene root and then connect each ICEtree with physx stuff, it would also possible to connect not only fluids but rather all physx equipment, but that is a holy bunch of work. I am looking forward for their position-based approach of simualting fluids http://physxinfo.com/news/11679/siggrap ... ed-fluids/, looks like more usable and flexible to handle wide range of various fluid thing in terms of quality.

about lagoa - I only dont understand why the main lagoa solver(compound) is private(closed). Is this something related to copyrights and fears that somebody skilled could reproduce lagoa system outside of AD software?

druitre

Post by druitre » 22 Aug 2013, 09:04

druitre wrote:Hello mr Core, I think this may be related: I haven't been abe to get the PhysX compounds to work on the GPU ("CUDA support failed!") since I started on the Redshift alpha (in march). Redshift uses CUDA so I also updated all drivers and CUDA-related stuff and maybe some other stuff as well at that point, hence maybe compatibility problems somewhere? That was on 2013SP1, and I still have the same problem on 2014 & 2014 SP1.

Hope this helps, Jasper
To bump myself, could you let me kbow if physxaddon still works for you with latest cuda and on 14sp1 or 2, mr Core? It stopped working here somewhere this spring, have not been able to fix it.

Thanks, Jasper

elhemp

Post by elhemp » 22 Aug 2013, 11:32

druitre wrote:
druitre wrote:Hello mr Core, I think this may be related: I haven't been abe to get the PhysX compounds to work on the GPU ("CUDA support failed!") since I started on the Redshift alpha (in march). Redshift uses CUDA so I also updated all drivers and CUDA-related stuff and maybe some other stuff as well at that point, hence maybe compatibility problems somewhere? That was on 2013SP1, and I still have the same problem on 2014 & 2014 SP1.

Hope this helps, Jasper
To bump myself, could you let me kbow if physxaddon still works for you with latest cuda and on 14sp1 or 2, mr Core? It stopped working here somewhere this spring, have not been able to fix it.

Thanks, Jasper
I did a short test with a simple PhysX-simulated point cloud and it does render with Redshift.
Softimage 2014SP2, GTX 580 3GB, NVidia Drivers 320.49

druitre

Post by druitre » 22 Aug 2013, 21:09

Elhemp, more importantly: do you mean that you ran a physx simulation on GPU on a system with 2014sp1 and Redshift?

(GPU, not CPU!)

elhemp

Post by elhemp » 23 Aug 2013, 08:37

Yes exactly. But good that you are asking. In my first test I have forgotten to hit the checkbox "Use GPU".
It works besides some unreproducable "Failed to copy" errors. The most issues I had so far with Redshift appeared when another app also used the gpu in the background. I suppose this is memory related. You could try to reduce the memory consumption of Redshift in the Redshift Options > Memory Tab. Put something greater then 0 into "Ray reserved memory". Maybe this helps. I use Softimage 2014SP2.

druitre

Post by druitre » 23 Aug 2013, 09:07

To clarify, I'm not having problems running physx alongside redshift. I simply cannot get physx to work anymore, full stop. This after having used it extensively since mr Core released it, on multiple systems, multiple Softinstalls, multiple graphics cards. Because some other users reported similar I hypothised it could be due to something redshift installed, but by no means is this clear. I've tried to uninstall redshift then reinstall physx addon, and that did not work either.

You're the first person to report it's still working since march, thank you! Guess I have to look again.

elhemp

Post by elhemp » 23 Aug 2013, 09:29

You're welcome. Maybe your only option is clean system install.

Bullit

Post by Bullit » 03 Sep 2013, 08:49

What graphic card do you have working with Softimage? i tested this recently and i had to make softimage use intel card to have the geforce free for cuda.

druitre

Post by druitre » 04 Sep 2013, 14:26

That would be weird. I'm at the moment on a 670 (where it worked flawlessly), before that I've used it with 3xx, 4xx and 5xx cards. No problems, just performance hits. You mean you've had to switch your system to the Mobo graphics?

Bullit

Post by Bullit » 05 Sep 2013, 01:56

Yes to have CUDA working i had to start Softimage with geforce card not selected. At least it was what i had to do in the small experiment i did.

druitre

Post by druitre » 17 Sep 2013, 10:33

Managed to get it to work again - and it's entirely my own fault... sigh. Have been updating + reinstalling Soft a couple of times and must have forgot to copy the dlls into the required folder the last time. Thanks for any advice though...

Jenus

Post by Jenus » 19 Nov 2013, 11:59

Just started to test this lovely plugin but I can't get the CUDA support going.
Is the "Get CUDA support failed!" error related to SI 2014 SP2? If it is would it be possible to fix it, Mr Core?
Has anyone solved it?

druitre

Post by druitre » 19 Nov 2013, 15:00

Yes, I am working in 2014 sp2 and it's all working allright. (sse post above yours)

I had problems at first but it turned out I had forgotten to place the dll's in the 2014 folder (as described in the first post).