PhysX Fluid Simulation in Softimage ICE

Plugins linking to this thread: (hide)

PhysX Fluid SimulationAuthor: Oleg Bliznuk
This ICE compound wraps a CUDA implentation of the SPH fluid algorithm and allows a very fast particle simulation of fluids on NVidia GPUs. CPU mode is also available, also rather fast and not limited by the available GPU RAM. CPU mode can be used as the default mode or as a fallback mode.

See the si-community thread linked below for details and tips on using this compound. Here's a test video by Tekano with 2 million particles.

local backup: Waterfall_FX.rar

Discussions about SOFTIMAGEs© Interactive Creative Environment©
Bullit

Re: PhysX Fluid Simulation in Softimage ICE

Post by Bullit » 05 Sep 2013, 01:56

Yes to have CUDA working i had to start Softimage with geforce card not selected. At least it was what i had to do in the small experiment i did.

druitre

Post by druitre » 17 Sep 2013, 10:33

Managed to get it to work again - and it's entirely my own fault... sigh. Have been updating + reinstalling Soft a couple of times and must have forgot to copy the dlls into the required folder the last time. Thanks for any advice though...

Jenus

Post by Jenus » 19 Nov 2013, 11:59

Just started to test this lovely plugin but I can't get the CUDA support going.
Is the "Get CUDA support failed!" error related to SI 2014 SP2? If it is would it be possible to fix it, Mr Core?
Has anyone solved it?

druitre

Post by druitre » 19 Nov 2013, 15:00

Yes, I am working in 2014 sp2 and it's all working allright. (sse post above yours)

I had problems at first but it turned out I had forgotten to place the dll's in the 2014 folder (as described in the first post).

druitre

Post by druitre » 05 Dec 2013, 16:00

Well, I'll be %$@!darned. I had it working again in september, 2014SP2, and now it's not doing anything. Re-downloaded the plugin, recreated workgroup, copied dll's to proper location, but nothing.

I get a 'succesfully created PhysX world' message, but no simulation at all. CPU or GPU. And the Physx simulate SPH node is always red in the sample scenes. In the pluginmanager everything looks allright, no red warnings.

I noticed, when copying the dll's to my install/application/bin folder, that they were of a different size and date than the ones already there. No idea how that came to be. Replacing them with the ones from the download here has not helped.

Question: is anyone able to use this plugin at the moment, under 2014SP2? I have probably installed or updated something on my system that is CUDA-related but I don't know what.

thanks, Jasper

****EDIT!****EDIT!***

As this may be useful to some of you out there I'll keep the text above, but I've solved the problem: actually, two things -

1 - I had to open my Nvidia controlpanel, add XSI to the program settings dialog and change the CUDA - GPUS option from 'global' to 'use these GPUS' and check my 670. Strangely enough, switching back to 'global' doesn't break performance. Like it needed to be done once to activate CUDA for XSI.

2 - Some of my scenes had been set up using an older version of the physx plugin. These only work after replacing the compounds in the trees with the newer ones.

Paulrus

Post by Paulrus » 10 Feb 2014, 13:20

Just curious. Is this still being developed or is it abandonware?

-Paul

druitre

Post by druitre » 10 Feb 2014, 13:42

No, think it was always just an experimental sort of thing with the last update being quite a while ago. I would love to see a commercial (supported/full featured) follow-up though.

Question of mine: has anyone got this working with a GTX 760? I have two 760-fitted systems that I can't get this to work on. On my system with a 670 it's no problem. As far as I can see everything in those other systems is identical, only the card is different. It keeps stating 'can't fill-in out positions'.

Bullit

Post by Bullit » 10 Feb 2014, 20:41

Do you have it in a workgroup? With it you have the same install.

Also no red nodes?

druitre

Post by druitre » 12 Feb 2014, 11:16

Yes, it's in its own workgroup, no red nodes, no missing dll's or warnings in the plugin manager. Dll's placed in the bin folder on both machines.

Do you have a 760 with this plugin working?

Bullit

Post by Bullit » 12 Feb 2014, 11:21

I have 765M in a Optimus config. driver is 311.27

druitre

Post by druitre » 10 Apr 2015, 12:38

Does anyone have this running on a GTX970? Just switched to two of those to replace the old 670 and GPU acceleration fails consistently now. It would be no surprise if the change from Kepler to Maxwell means the plugin simply won't work anymore, but if it could be confirmed that would be good.

cheers,
Jasper

blaxxun

Post by blaxxun » 10 Apr 2015, 12:48

I tried it some time ago on my 570s and it worked as far as i remember but now on my 970s i didnt test i yet.
I guess since its a very different gpu architecture the code has to be adjusted.
I would love to see a commercial (supported/full featured) follow-up though.
Me as well.
Maybe someone like Mootzoid could look into this. Specially because his tools are very particle based.
Or just anybody who has the skills.
I would pay for it.

adamseeley

Post by adamseeley » 30 Jul 2016, 13:36

So.. Soft 2015 + Gtx Titan X.. What's the chances?

Some nice GPU accelerated fluid sims would be handy.

Adam.

Rork

Post by Rork » 01 Aug 2016, 09:12

Hi Jasper,

You probably missed it, but maybe you can add some thoughts to this thread on Clarisse?

rob
SI UI tutorials: Toolbar http://goo.gl/iYOL0l | Custom Layout http://goo.gl/6iP5xQ | RenderManager View http://goo.gl/b4ZkjQ
So long, and thanks for all the Fish!!