mSkin

Plugins linking to this thread: (hide)

m|SkinAuthor: Martin Yara
Previously released in late 2016 as »m|Skin Weight Spectrum«, this has grown into a full featured alternative toolset for controling and painting skin weights.

From the manual on skymill.co.jp (en/jp): mSkin is a Softimage Weights Tool that has been developed at Skymill for game production. The GUI has been designed based on Christopher Evan's skinWrangler, a Maya weights script. It's also using some functions from Jeremie Passerin's Gear, Alan Fregtman's blog and Gotetz's blog. It's currently been used in one of our projects and it is still a work in progress. It may be a little slow when dealing with tons of deformers and supports only one envelope. Use it at your own risk. It's been tested in Softimage 2013, 2014 and 2015.

Demonstration video available mSkin : Softimage Weights Tool

local backup:_mSkin.xsiaddon (requires pySide/PyQtForSoftimage) mSkin_WG.zip (workgroup with plugin and all required dependencies)

Discussions concerning plugins for SOFTIMAGE©
myara

mSkin

Post by myara » 16 Nov 2016, 15:48

This is a WIP tool that we are using in our current Softimage project.
It's been developed for a game production but it is still usable in pre-render data too. It may be slow with models that have tons of deformers (it's working somewhat decently with 200 deformers), or when you want to change the weights of tons of components.

I hope you find it useful.

The video explanation is in the subtitles, be sure to turn them on.

http://skymill.co.jp/tools/Softimage/mS ... index.html

mSkin uses PySide and PyQtForSoftimage.
Since it may be kinda tricky to install them, I'm including a ready to use Workgroup version where they are included.
If you have PySide and PyQtForSoftimage working without problems, use the addon version.
If you don't have or don't even know what PySide is, use the Workgroup version.
Last edited by myara on 17 Nov 2016, 06:50, edited 2 times in total.
M.Yara
Character Modeler | Softimage Generalist (sort of)

julius

Re: mSkin

Post by julius » 16 Nov 2016, 22:02

thanks to share ! :-bd

gaboraa

Post by gaboraa » 18 Nov 2016, 13:42

OMG, Martin you are awesome! Abbility to copy avareage weights of selected components is awesome in itself!

homam

Post by homam » 21 Nov 2016, 06:27

Cool plugin. It is a time saver for modifying skinning weights accurately.

One thing that catches my eyes in your video is the custom buttons added to the viewport header.
viewportButtons.png
I don't remember seeing this in the SDK :-?

Thanks,

myara

Post by myara » 21 Nov 2016, 06:39

homam wrote:I don't remember seeing this in the SDK :-?
That's a plugin called GViewButton, great plugin btw, but I can't find info about it but my own blog page where I recommend it lol.
The link is broken though. I'll try to contact the author.
M.Yara

myara

Post by myara » 24 Nov 2016, 08:15

Sorry, there was a bug in the DIV button.
Bug Fixed in version 1.0.1
Same Link.
M.Yara

myara

Post by myara » 24 Dec 2016, 10:58

New version.

I added a Lock Unused Deformers Option.
The reason is that we wanted to use Smooth Weights only between the deformers that already had weights. The easiest solution was to lock all unused deformers.
Also fixed a few minor bugs.

I'm planning to convert some buttons to commands so it can be used with the Repeat Command, but that may take a while.
M.Yara

myara

Post by myara » 14 Jan 2017, 15:48

New Version. Same Link

- Copy, Paste, Average Weights are now Repeatable Commands so you don't need to click the buttons again and again, and you can assign them a hotkey in your keyboard settings if you want.

- Paste Weights works even if the deformers order are different, it uses now a deformer name verification so it will work as long as the deformer names are the same. It still paste weights faster if the deformers are in the same order.

- Lock Smooth option added. This smooth weights only between the deformers that are being used. To do this it locks all unused deformers, smooth and then unlock all. Due to this workflow this will unlock those deformers even if you have locked them before using Lock Smooth.

- Some bugs fixed.
M.Yara