Weight Map Spectrum

Plugins linking to this thread: (hide)

m|Skin_WeightSpectrumAuthor: Martin Yara
From the video page of mSkin_WeightSpectrumI wrote this as a test while writing a weight tool (that I haven't finished yet), but the test GUI turned out to be somewhat usable as it is, so I'm releasing it. The goal: I wanted to have something like the Maya Weight Painting tool (but without using a painting tool) to have more control of where a deformer weights are spread.

It is a simple ICE compound that colorize the object according to it's weights, the more weight it has, the warmer the color. One thing I like about it is that even if the weight is 0.0001 the point will be blue, so it will be easy to spot. It's not a Plugin or addon, but a simple script file. Create a button, drag it to your Script Editor or whatever and run it.

You'll need to specify the xsicompound path in the PPG, or you can edit the .py file (The third line is the xsicompound path, and is very easy to edit, just write your own local path)

A video of a test session by furiakez: mSkin test

local backup: mSkin_WeightSpectrum.py mSkin_WeightSpectrum.xsicompound (needs to be installed for the plugin to work)

Discussions concerning plugins for SOFTIMAGE©
myara

Weight Map Spectrum

Post by myara » 29 Mar 2016, 14:42

I'm writing a weight tool and I wanted to be able to display the weight map of only one deformer at a time.

So I tried with Vertex Color and scripting but it was just too slow, so I decided to tried with ICE.
It was way more simple that I expected.

I added a PPG to test it before implement it in my Weight Tool, but it turned out to be pretty usable just like it is right now so I decided to share it.

Moderator edit: changed the video url for embedding. You used the player.vimeo.com address, but our video tags need the full url of the corresponding page... - HB
M.Yara
Character Modeler | Softimage Generalist (sort of)

FXDude

Re: Weight Map Spectrum

Post by FXDude » 30 Mar 2016, 02:09

Cool, like a "View isolated bone weight" tool!
Kudos!

myara wrote:I tried with Vertex Color and scripting but it was just too slow, so I decided to tried with ICE.
It was way more simple that I expected.
As it can be typically :)