Straighten uuv grid script?

Plugins linking to this thread: (hide)

UV netalignAuthor: ringpull
Updated with new demo video: mXB_UVnetalign — VBS script that aligns a UV island's rows and columns horizonally/vertically. Island should have quad topology. Spacing is sampled from the first row/column, alternatively a custom constant row/column spacing can be specified (Which of btw. the default value is the average row/column distance - meaning the total island size wouldn't change using the default settings).

Usage: Select the samples (= polygon UV corners in the texture editor) you wish to affect - usually Ctrl+A will work unless you want to affect only a part of an island. Then run the script, which asks you to pick the top left sample. For irregular UV layouts, the UVs have to be broken up as demonstrated here by the author. Find more information on the author download page linked below (japanese - english translation by google here). Martin Yara's modified version of the script (which adds the option to modify rows only or columns only) is available in the local backup. Note that the script freezes the object's modeling stack before operating.

local backup: mXB_UVnetalign.zip

Discussions concerning plugins for SOFTIMAGE©
Manticor

Straighten uuv grid script?

Post by Manticor » 02 Apr 2015, 11:39

Hi
A while ago I had a script that straightens uv loops in both directions .If I remember it was made by a Japanese guy ,it worked pretty well aswell but now that Ive reinstalled my system its got lost and I cant find it anywhere.

Does anyone know what this script its (or another that does a similar thing ....that works on xsi 7 )

Many thanks in advance

AceMastermind

Re: Straighten uuv grid script?

Post by AceMastermind » 02 Apr 2015, 15:13

I'm thinking maybe "UV netalign" by ringpull and myara, available on rray.de

Manticor

Post by Manticor » 03 Apr 2015, 08:10

thats the one ... thanks very much ace

CYTE

Post by CYTE » 17 Mar 2016, 11:37

Hey everyone,
i really would like to use this script. but i cant figure out how to make it work. do i put it in my plugins folder?
where can i find the command then? when i run the script from the script editor in soft i get an error...
im using soft 2015 R2
thanks alot
cheers
CYTE

AceMastermind

Post by AceMastermind » 17 Mar 2016, 16:10

You can drag the script into a toolbar and make a script button.
Tag some points in the Texture Editor and run the script.
Pick a corner point on the left side of your selection.
Set your options in the ppg and press OK. :)

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 17 Mar 2016, 16:31

A little more explanation might be useful.
The script (run from the script editor) weirdly throws an “Argument 0 is invalid” error first and then launches a pick session...
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

CYTE

Post by CYTE » 17 Mar 2016, 16:50

Thanks alot for your replies!
i select samples in the texture editor and press the script button.
it starts "thinking" for about 10 seconds. than it throws an error at me "invalid argument "GetValue""
:(

myara

Post by myara » 19 Mar 2016, 20:52

I'm not in front of my PC and I won't until Tuesday. I haven't used this tool for a few months so I can't remember exactly how did it work but I think it was selecting all the UV samples you want to align and then, when you get a pick cursor, select the first sample in the upper left corner.
It will only work on UV grids (squares) and with their UVs "merged".
I'm not sure if it requires to have the component selection mode in samples or not but it probably does.
M.Yara
Character Modeler | Softimage Generalist (sort of)

CYTE

Post by CYTE » 22 Mar 2016, 09:34

Hey myara!
thank you for your help! i really appreciate it. unfortunately i just cant get this script working. i select samples in the texture editor. samples also get selected in 3d view. then i execute the script. there is no picking session for me just an error and it seems that it happens at this line of code :
TE_selfil = GetValue ("Preferences<" & TEPNo & ">.SelectionFilter")
dunno maybe its not campitble with 2015 r2 version of soft?
thanks again!
CYTE

myara

Post by myara » 22 Mar 2016, 10:09

I just uploaded a video

This isn't a perfect tool. In fact it doesn't work in a lot of situations:

- It won't work if your UV is too distorted. Use UV Relax before using this tool. Basically it will only work to align an uneven net grid, not a really messed up UV.

- It won't work if you have anything but quadrangles, something like a net shape. If you have triangles or ngons you'll need to cut it and use only the part that resembles a quadrangle grid.

- You will need to select the samples of your object, meaning you have to change your select mode to samples or, change your sync method in your Texture Editor preferences.
M.Yara
Character Modeler | Softimage Generalist (sort of)

CYTE

Post by CYTE » 22 Mar 2016, 11:25

Hey myara!
Thank you so much for your effort! its working now!
the scripts must be in conflict with some other plugin i have installed or something like that.
when i make a new clean user data folder it is working perfectly!
thank you for your help!
cheers
CYTE