AoN_XSI Beta

Plugins linking to this thread: (hide)

AoN:XSI BetaAuthor: Thomas Helzle
A work-in-progress (currently on hold but with very interesting results already) on converting Thomas' well-known Project Messiah shaders to XSI. Includes:

AoN_Grid , AoN_Mixer, AoN_Distance, AoN_ReplaceAlpha. See the si-community discussion for a very detailed and illustrated introduction.

local backup: AoN_XSI.zip

Discussions concerning plugins for SOFTIMAGE©
ThomasHelzle

AoN_XSI Beta

Post by ThomasHelzle » 20 Nov 2009, 22:53

Hi,

some people may know my shaders for messiah:studio, AoN:Studio and TLH:Pro.
Soon after I started using XSI with version 4, I also started to port some of those shaders over to mental ray.
I thought about making them into a commercial set, but decided against it for several reasons.
Since I have some spare time at the moment, I want to make them available for free - bit by bit as I clean them up for public consumption - as a thank-you to the XSI community which helped me quite a lot over the years.
^:)^
This thread will become the prototype for the docs and I will add more info to later posts as I make progress.
As a start, there are the following shaders available for your testing pleasure:

AoN_Mixer.jpg
AoN_Mixer.jpg (59.97 KiB) Viewed 7643 times
AoN_Mixer
A replacement for the XSI mixer (which is in my opinion pretty weird).
It has logical input naming (foreground, mix and background), you can switch fore- and background with a switch, so you don't have to drag the connections around, you have almost all of the photoshop layermodes available, and it works in many cases where I got weird results from the XSI mixer.
- Some of the more weird modes are not really useful with HDRI. Usually I clip those internally but some may give funny results anyway.
- Modes like Add, Subtract etc. can create values lager than 1.0 or smaller than 0.0. To prevent that, use the "Clip the result Colors" switch.

These are the available RGB- (left) and Alpha- (right) Layer modes:
AoN_Mixer_Modes2.jpg
AoN_Mixer_Modes2.jpg (54.38 KiB) Viewed 7449 times
The new Alpha Modes allow you to combine/set your alpha separately from the color blending.

AoN_Replace_Alpha
A simple node I often use as the last node in a tree to definitely define alpha.
For instance if I want a ground plane that has 0.0 alpha (for easy selection of other scene elements in Photoshop).
It can also help to set a defined Alpha for something like glass, if you want a bottle on above ground plane to have a solid white alpha, again for easy selection in Photoshop.
You can do this in other ways as well, but I found XSIs Alpha handling unclear enough to want something like this :-)
AoN_Replace_Alpha.jpg
AoN_Replace_Alpha.jpg (50.92 KiB) Viewed 7643 times
It also allows to set the surface Opacity, something that is only used by the Rasterizer to determine how opaque something is when comped or with motionblur - normally you want to set it to 1.0.

AoN_Distance
AoN_Grid
Scroll down to later posts for more explanation.

Okay, here's the link:
http://www.screendream.de/AoN_XSI/AoN_XSI.zip (latest: January 5 2010)

Changes:
January 5 2010:
- New Mode in AoN_Grid: "Random Plaid" 2D & 3D
- New Output in AoN_Grid: "Alpha" - use the Alpha as just another scalar channel, value-independent from the others.

Installation:
Copy the folder included in this Zip to your C:\Users\Yourname\Autodesk\Softimage_2010_SP1\Addons folder or to your workgroup addons folder.

There are no real docs (yet) but the above and below explanations, if you have questions, feel free to ask.

Compiled with XSI 2010 SP1, but should work in older versions.
32 and 64 Bit versions for Windows are included. Linux versions may or may not come.

I call this a beta since it is in flux, but I use it a lot and had no problems so far.
But still: These are free plugins, so use them at your own risk. In no way I am responsible for any problems or data loss you may encounter.

I hope to add more of the shaders I've written to the package over time.

Cheers,

Thomas Helzle
Last edited by ThomasHelzle on 05 Jan 2010, 19:11, edited 9 times in total.

Rork

Re: AoN_XSI Beta

Post by Rork » 21 Nov 2009, 12:53

Hi Thomas.

Thanks for this :ymparty:

The 'original' AoN shaders are very impressive, and it's good to see they finally come to XSI. And for free, that's very generous too.

Will you convert the entire set of shaders? Time permitted that is :-B

cheers,

rob

P.S. For people who don't know this yet, but there is a mixer replacement as well in the BA shaderset too. The more choice the better ;)
SI UI tutorials: Toolbar http://goo.gl/iYOL0l | Custom Layout http://goo.gl/6iP5xQ | RenderManager View http://goo.gl/b4ZkjQ
So long, and thanks for all the Fish!!

ThomasHelzle

Post by ThomasHelzle » 21 Nov 2009, 14:58

Hi Rork,

I have all of the AoN:Studio shaders working for quite a while, yes :-)
But for public consumption I want to make them a bit more streamlined and I learned some things over the years regarding MR/XSI so I want to improve their Interface a bit from their original "inhouse style". ;-)

As for TLH:Pro, only some of those shaders make sense in XSI. Some stuff already exists in one form or other (Raytype for instance) some others were very specific to messiah (EasyGlass). But then there may be some additional shaders I didn't need in messiah...

Cheers,

Thomas

wireframex

Post by wireframex » 21 Nov 2009, 23:11

Hey Thomas

I'm very happy to see you here !!! :D :D :D

Bigs thanks to move AoN to XSI

Phil
"without mastery, power is nothing" - Softimage Addict User
CPU 3990x 128 Threads / 2 x 3090 RTX - 24 Go / 96 Go memory

sbowling

Post by sbowling » 24 Nov 2009, 08:01

Awesome! Your AON Shaders are probably the only thing I missed since moving to XSI from messiah. I would have gladly paid money for them, but if you want to give them away, I will not aregue with you =) I look forward to having the rest of them when you get areound to releasing them.

ThomasHelzle

Post by ThomasHelzle » 25 Nov 2009, 00:30

Hi guys - nice to see you here as well and thanks for the kind words! ;-)

Today's addition is AoN_Distance, a shader to render distances from objects in the scene:
AoN_Distance.jpg
AoN_Distance.jpg (56.76 KiB) Viewed 7516 times
While this can be done with stock shaders using vector/matrix math, this shader makes it much easier and faster.

One typical use for it is, to fade out a floor towards the background with a sprite shader to avoid a hard line at the horizon.
For that you pick the camera as your "Distance Goal" (like in the screenshot above) and then you set the Min and Max values for the distance. Everything lower (= closer) than the "Min Amount" will be fully solid (white), and everything above the "Max Amount" will be fully transparent (black) in this usage scenario (the shader normally outputs a gradient from black to white, but with "Invert Distance" active you get the opposite).
Here is the full shader tree:
AoN_Distance_FloorTree.jpg
AoN_Distance_FloorTree.jpg (88.71 KiB) Viewed 7516 times
And this is the result:
AoN_Distance_Floor_With.jpg
AoN_Distance_Floor_With.jpg (118.1 KiB) Viewed 7516 times
The floor blends smoothly with the background HDRI.

And sure you can do ton's of other stuff with the shader: Use (animated) nulls in the scene as goals and use the distance output to blend between different textures (drive the blending in AoN_Mixer with the distance), create custom depth-maps or with the forthcoming AoN_Wood, you can use nulls to define where branchknots (is that the right word?) sit (instead of metaeffectors in messiah).
For this, you can also have a look at the other modes of the shader from the dropdown... See next Post for those...

The other available settings:
If you disable "Advanced Options", the shader will output the raw distance from the goal as a scalar in XSI scene units without clamping for further custom processing.
"Bias" squeezes the gradient towards darker or brighter tones in a smooth, curved fashion, where "Gain" is something like a contrast setting, but also with smooth curve interpolation.
A low Bias (the default/neutral is 0.5 for Bias and Gain) is used in the above image to make the falloff look much smoother than the default linear gradient. In such an image, the closer you get towards the horizon, the more "squeezed" your distances become, so a linear gradient looks squeezed from that. With Bias, you can squeeze the gradient in the opposite direction to make the result look natural again (you can also think of it as a squared or exponential falloff).
Almost all my shaders have Bias and Gain settings, and you will see with the later to come procedurals how amazingly useful they are ;-)
You can use very small or large settings if you want (small being 0.001 and large being 0.999) and still get somehow smoothish results (BTW. I use a setting for numbers in the SPDLs of my shaders to allow for more than the dreaded 3 digits so you can go even more extrem. Too bad this only works for numbers, not for colors etc.).

Ran out of Attachments, so see the next post for the modes...
Last edited by ThomasHelzle on 25 Nov 2009, 00:40, edited 3 times in total.

origin

Post by origin » 25 Nov 2009, 00:31

Thanks!

ThomasHelzle

Post by ThomasHelzle » 25 Nov 2009, 02:19

You are welcome :-)

On we go with the Modes:
AoN_Distance_Modes.jpg
AoN_Distance_Modes.jpg (50.92 KiB) Viewed 7514 times
As you can see, there are a LOT of modes :ymparty:
Some of them are even useful! ;)
The one mode you will want normally, the 95% of the time bread and butter mode is "Spherical - World". In this mode, the distance is measured from the goal objects center to the point that is currently rendered in world coordinates - no matter how stuff is scaled or rotated. The distance spreads in all directions evenly, so you can imagine it as a spherical gradient around the selected goal - hence the name.

"X, Y and Z-Cylindrical - World" are modes, where one axis is ignored in the calculation, so the remaining distance values form a cylinder around that axis. For the Y-Cylindrical, imagine a treetrunk, tornado or a lamppost... :-)
AoN_Distance_Y-Cylindrical.jpg
AoN_Distance_Y-Cylindrical.jpg (148.86 KiB) Viewed 7514 times
In the above image, a null is used for a distance goal and the Mode is set to "Y-Cylindrical - World". That distance is then used on the cube and the floor to mix a red material with "Inverse Dodge" to the background material using AoN_Mixer. I used a Gain Amount of 0.088 on the distance so you can see it more clearly as it goes like a cylinder through the objects.

"X, Y and Z-Linear" ignore two axii and so you get a linear gradient along one axis only, in this image along X:
AoN_Distance_X-Linear.jpg
AoN_Distance_X-Linear.jpg (148.51 KiB) Viewed 7514 times
You can see how the gradient forms a kind of plane that spreads along the X-Axis and is continuos along Y and Z.

"X, Y and Z-Unilinear - World", what a name.
It means, that the gradient doesn't falloff in both directions from the X-axis, but only in one. So on one side of the axis you get full black, then a gradient along the distance you've set until it's white. This "cuts space in half" in a way.

Okay, enough for today, more modes tomorrow :-bd

Cheers,

Thomas Helzle

Mootzoid
Administrator

Post by Mootzoid » 25 Nov 2009, 10:27

Hey Thomas,
All I can say is: WOW! Truly some amazingly usefull and clever shaders :ymapplause:
In my opinion those are all candidates for the "MR Hit Parade of Shaders" ! Gosh, and this is only the beginning, isn't it?
Cheers,
Eric

ThomasHelzle

Post by ThomasHelzle » 26 Nov 2009, 19:23

Wow, thanks a lot Eric for the compliments ^:)^

... :D :ymdaydream: :ymhug: \:D/

Ahem...

...So on with the modes we go ;) :

The "World" modes are all nice and dandy for many cases, but what if you want to use a custom axis or scale when measuring the distance?
That is where the "Goal" Modes come into Play.
These modes offer basically the same as the world modes, but the distances are measured in the coordinate system of the goal, so you can not only animate for instance a goal-null around the scene like with the world modes, but you can also change it's orientation and scale, and the distances will be rotated and scaled accordingly.

An example:
AoN_Distance_Goal_Spherical.jpg
AoN_Distance_Goal_Spherical.jpg (153.41 KiB) Viewed 7462 times
In the image above, a goal null is placed near the centre of the frontal face of the cube. Both floor and cube use in their materials a spherical goal distance from this null for the red/dark overlay. But the null is then rotated and scaled to Y = 3, Z = 3 and X = 0.5.
As you can hopefully see, the "Spherical Goal" distance now forms a flat discus and no longer a sphere.
While for "real" distance measuring, this isn't too useful, it is great if you need customizable "effectors" or "fields" for other stuff in your tree that you can animate.
One good thing about it is, that you should never see any banding even with pretty extreme bias and gain settings, since all the values are calculated internally as double precision floats.

And finally there comes the weird mode: "Object".
It also measures the distance to the goal, but in the coordinate system of the currently rendered object (the object that the current sample point belongs to).
Now what are typical use cases for that?
I really don't know.
Sometimes when coding, you think: now what if I would do this...
And voilà, more options for the user to tackle scenarios not even the programmer has any idea about ;)

Here's an example anyway:
AoN_Distance_Object_Spherical.jpg
AoN_Distance_Object_Spherical.jpg (97.07 KiB) Viewed 7462 times
In the image above, I used a null in the centre of the frontal face of the former cube as a goal in "Spherical Object" mode. I than reduced the scale of the cube in X. The floor on the other hand I scaled up 3 times. So, in the coordinate system of the rendered objects to which the materials belong, on the cube, space is squashed in X, while on the floor all distances are three times as large.
Amazing...

Should you come up with a cool idea what that mode would be useful for, let me know ;-)

Cheers,

Thomas

wailingmonkey

Post by wailingmonkey » 28 Nov 2009, 06:37

whoah...those look pretty awesome-handy, ThomasHelzle....thank you! :)

ThomasHelzle

Post by ThomasHelzle » 02 Dec 2009, 01:50

Just a quick update: today I finished the first of my a bit more advanced shaders: AoN_Grid, a shader for everything "griddish" ;)
I want to put some preset buttons into it tomorrow and then it should be ready for your testing pleasure...

One thing I'm unsure about is Multi-Output:
My initial shaders for messiah:studio had color as well as several scalar outputs, so you could grab whatever you wanted/needed in a given situation. It was really helpful IMO.
Today I implemented multiout in AoN_Grid, but created a new version for this (so my old scenes with just a color out will still work).
Now I wonder if it makes sense to release both?
Since Multiout has very little overhead I guess it makes more sense to just release the multiout version and don't trouble you with choices ;)
Otherwise you would have twice the amount of shaders - confusing and not worth it IMO.

Well, if anybody has an opinion about this, let me know :-)

While the shader isn't ready yet (so don't re-download yet), here is something to wet your appetite:
AoN_Grid_Cube_Bricks_3D_Absolut.jpg
AoN_Grid_Cube_Bricks_3D_Absolut.jpg (239.72 KiB) Viewed 2918 times
Nice simple stuff like the above can be done with AoN_Grid, bricks, checkerboards, lines etc.

But you can also go a bit wilder with still only one node of AoN_Grid:
AoN_Grid_Cube_Bricks_3D_Absolut_Smear.jpg
AoN_Grid_Cube_Bricks_3D_Absolut_Smear.jpg (191.21 KiB) Viewed 2918 times
Same brick-texture as before, but with added "Smear" and "Mirror" active...

Cheers,

Thomas

ace63

Post by ace63 » 02 Dec 2009, 15:33

This is beyond cool, I really appreciate what you do for the community :D

ThomasHelzle

Post by ThomasHelzle » 05 Dec 2009, 00:48

You guys are so welcome :-) ^:)^

Just a short heads-up: I did hit a weird roadblock when creating presets and setting vector values from SPDL-logic so everything took much longer than anticipated. But now I'm back on track and creating tons of presets for your texturing pleasure :-)

Hopefully I can finish AoN:Grid on the weekend!

Cheers,

Thomas Helzle

P.S.
If anybody should be interested in the problem: normally you set a value in the GUI from a SPDL-button with something like "pset.YourVariable = 3".
But this didn't work for vectors, so I tried all variations I could think of.
No joy.
In the end it turned out that XSI uses a completely alien notation instead of "pset.YourVariable.x = 3" (which would have been my first guess).
But no, it is "pset.YourVariable.NestedObjects(0).Value = 0.5"
OMG...
I haven't found out yet how to explicitly address x, y and z, since (0), (1) and (2) are only the first three objects in those Nested Objects...
This reminds me again, why I never got into scripting for XSI - I was never able to understand the weird syntax for parameters.
:-?? ~x( :-q :- ^#(^ =))

ThomasHelzle

Post by ThomasHelzle » 06 Dec 2009, 21:16

Finally :-)

AoN:Grid is now included in the download package - just extract everything overwriting the existing stuff, there may be other improvements as well.

What can "AoN_Grid" do?
AoN_Grid_1.jpg
AoN_Grid_1.jpg (216.17 KiB) Viewed 2847 times
AoN_Grid_2.jpg
AoN_Grid_2.jpg (194.99 KiB) Viewed 2847 times
AoN_Grid_3.jpg
AoN_Grid_3.jpg (94.78 KiB) Viewed 2847 times
These are the available basic structures.
That I show you this on a torus is no accident - a lot of grid-like textures look like rubbish on organic forms and work best on cube-like or rectangular objects. But since you can use them with UV textures, most problematic cases can be solved, although not as simple as for instance with a 3D noise that looks good no matter what object you throw it on...

Since this is the first of my real procedural textures, the next few posts will go into some detail of the interface, since that stays pretty much the same for all the other shaders to come.

Cheers, ^:)^

Thomas Helzle

ThomasHelzle

Post by ThomasHelzle » 06 Dec 2009, 21:59

AoN_Grid:
The Gui for AoN:Grid and all the other procedural shaders consists of 3 tabs, Texture, Transform and Presets.
The last one is the easiest, so let's look at it first:
AoN_Grid_Presets.jpg
AoN_Grid_Presets.jpg (97.17 KiB) Viewed 2846 times
Tons of buttons as you can see ;-)

The first block "Reset to Defaults" resets the controls on the Texture tab to the defaults for each of the available structures. This is handy if you get lost or want f.i. a checkerboard and no fuss.
Next block "Interesting Variations" contains different presets for the basic structures that often show some special usage of the less prominent controls like Absolut, Bias and Gain etc.
"Wild Stuff" contains presets that are pretty much like the title says - most of them use the Smear distortion to give you distorted results and break the regularity of the basic structures.
"Reset Transformations" allows just that, set all the sliders to neutral values.
"Set Transform Mixing" is a very special idea of mine that I will explain next with the Transform tab:
AoN_Grid_Transform.jpg
AoN_Grid_Transform.jpg (82.78 KiB) Viewed 2846 times
As you can see in the above screenshot, you first select if you want to use
a.) the ray "Intersection Point",
b.) "External Coordinates" or
c.) "Use Texture Projection".

a.) "Intersection Point" doesn't need any kind of projection, it is not "sticky", but the object "floats through the texture". This is great for testing, or static images when you just need a fast texture on an object (a grid on a floor for instance) that you don't intend to move etc. These coordinates are "3D" and "fill the space". This is the default.

b.) "External Coordinates" is your option if you want to provide texture vectors to the shader yourself. Just connect your coordinates to the "Coords"-Input of the shader and select this option.

c.) "Use Texture Projection" is maybe the most useful for everyday stuff, since it allows you to use the XSI texture projection system. When you select it from the dropdown, the normal XSI texture space selector becomes active and allows you to create, edit and select what projection to use.
If you use UV textures or any kind of standard projection (planar, spherical, cubic etc.) you can use the "1D" and "2D" variations of the AoN_Grid textures. Only for "Spatial" coordinates it makes sense to use the 3D-variants.

General Transforms
The next three groups of the GUI allow you to transform the textures.
First you can Scale the texture (and here you have a checkbox for axis synchronizing if you want to enter just one overall size).
Second is Rotation and third is Offset. Nothing too exotic here, other than that you have 5 digits of accuracy (instead of 3 like normal XSI) so you can go pretty small or large if you want.

More exotic are the dropdowns under the sliders.
They are actually a tribute to messiah:studios brilliant nodes, where you can have multiple inputs for each parameter and mix those with the internal values - the first is impossible in XSI but the second works and I found it worthwhile to implement it since it makes the nodes more flexible (and you need less nodes).
This is how it works:
If the dropdown is at "None", Sliders and Input are ignored and default values are used (1.0 for scale, 0.0 for Rotate and Offset).
If you select "Sliders Only" only the values of the sliders in the GUI are used, the input is ignored (good for testing without disconnecting the input).
"Input Only" is the other way around - the slider values are ignored and only the external input is used.
And now comes the real fun: "Sliders + Input" adds the Value of the sliders to the input values. This is cool if you want to drive Rotation with a noise texture, and then animate the rotation to revolve around 360° over time. It's like a simple mixer built into the shaders input.
When there are more of my shaders available, I will show more possible uses for this.
"Sliders - Input", "Input - Sliders" and "Sliders * Input" are the other available modes and should be self explanatory I hope.
Especially the last is great if you want to control the impact of your external input, you can just scale it with the sliders...

And finally the main tab, "Texture":
AoN_Grid_Texture.jpg
AoN_Grid_Texture.jpg (101.16 KiB) Viewed 2846 times
On top you have the main selection dropdown "Grid Style" where you can choose what basic structure you want. I think it makes most sense that you test the available options out yourself or with the help of the available presets.
They are:
"Lines(1D)"
"Lines(2D)"
"Grid(2D)"
"Grid(3D)"
"Weave(2D)"
"Softgrid(3D)"
"Checkerboard(2D)"
"Checkerboard(3D)"
"Random Checks(2D)"
"Random Checks(3D)"
"Bricks(2D)"
"Bricks(3D)"
... where the 1D or 2D versions only have structure in one or two dimensions which is best for UV, planar, spherical, cylindrical, cubic and camera mapping (all mappings that you usually use for a 2D image texture) whereas the 3D versions "fill space" and are best for spatial or intersection point mappings.

One very important thing to keep in mind is, that these are procedurals and you may wonder why your cube looks all white although you selected the Grid 3D for instance. If your cube happens to be exactly of a size that is a multiple of the gridsize, then you may be "inside" a gridline with your outer cube faces. Try scaling the whole texture a bit up or down and see if you get something closer to what you expected. This is also true for the presets - some of them don't look like they are named at all when used on something different than the original cube I designed them on.
That's just the nature of the beast ;-)

Ok, next is the two colors for your texture. Almost all my procedurals are represented as greyscale values internally. You could always use that with a gradient, but since I most of the time want procedurals to happen between two colors, seldom more and seldom less, I found it more convenient to have a mini-mixer built in. The internal greyscale representation is interpolated between those two colors, and sure you can have Color_A as black and Color_B as white or yellow or whatever.

Directly beneath you find "Scale Output". This is a brand new value also inherited from my messiah:studio shaders. messiah had multiple outputs per shader node from day one where MR only introduced them some time ago. I always found it very practical, to be able to get either color or scalar values out of the shader without additional conversion nodes (did I already mention that I absolutely hate them? ;-) )
Also, it can be helpful to have the basically same structure/texture available in different scalings. And this is what this value does, it scales the "Scaled" output of the shader so that you can for instance use it for displacement with a value of 0.1 and at the same time use the "Color" out as diffuse color with Color_A set to dark grey and Color_B set to a medium red.
Talking about outputs: The "Raw" output gives you the main internal greyscale representation of the structure, that you could use for instance for bumpmapping etc. (although the bumpmap shader in XSI takes a color #-o )...

This is a bit alien for XSI, but I personally love to have as little nodes in my trees as possible :-)

Next are the "Grid Sizes".
Depending on the structure you have chosen above these values give the texture it's final look.
"Gridsize", "Linewidth" and "Smoothing" are working together in a specific way to allow for a hopefully clear handling:
The main value is the Gridsize - imagine if as something like an overall stepsize. For instance in a checkerboard, the Gridsize determines the size of one black and one white field together. If the Linewidth is exactly half as large as Gridsize, you get your classical checkerboard. So the Linewidth is taken away from the Gridsize, not added to it!
The reason for this is, that you can use a procedural to drive Linewidth if you want, and you will get only distorted borders on the lines, but not a distorted overall grid (which can be achieved otherwise).
If Linewidth is larger than the Gridsize, it is clamped to the same value as Gridsize (but be aware that such a big linesize will give you full white results since the lines cover everything).
Smoothing works the same: It can never be larger than the Linewidth and is clamped to that internallly, since it is the gradient falloff of the lines, happening only within the area of the lines.
Again, Smoothing can be driven independently from everything else by external textures.

The next group is the same for all my procedurals: "Grid Settings".
Here you find functions to massage or alter your structure.
I better show some pictures here, so on to the next post we go... :-)

TBC ^:)^

Thomas
Last edited by ThomasHelzle on 07 Dec 2009, 01:53, edited 3 times in total.