mesh paint

Plugins linking to this thread: (hide)

Mesh Paint v0.95Author: Piotrek Marczak
Updated September 2012 with straight/curved line drawing. Mesh Paint lets you paint meshes or mesh instances interactively on the surface of another mesh. Not only for placing rows of bolts but with every thinkable placement option like follow stroke, stack clones, adjustable spacing, delete overlapping, alignment, randomization, size falloff and mouse position interpolation (for evenly-spaced placement even when painting quickly).

To-be-placed objects are organized in a list with the option of randomizing though the list, or cycling through the list while painting. There's also a »drop« mode for placing indivdual objects more precisely (like a simpler version of Piotrek's QuickPrimive tool).

For more information, visit the si-community thread linked below. Videos available: Introduction, and added features in v0.91 & v0.93. The roses in the thumbnail have been created with a combination of follow stroke/stack clones/ramp scale, moving the mouse around in little circles. For regular spaced placement like the zipper in the thumbnail, turn off the »delete overlapping« option. Source code available here (Check the thread for a newer version of this, too).

local backup: meshpaint_095.xsiaddon

Discussions concerning plugins for SOFTIMAGE©
d-e-a-n

Re: mesh paint

Post by d-e-a-n » 16 Jul 2012, 10:34

wow! thanks for your effort, brilliant! :-bd

ace63

Post by ace63 » 16 Jul 2012, 12:51

You mentioned the duplicate function is slow in Softimage
(I experienced this before - it is MEGA slow), would it be faster to decompose the model you want to duplicate using a CGeometryAccessor,
insert empty meshes into the scene and use a CMeshbuilder to rebuild the mesh?
I heard the CMeshbuilder is awesomely fast, but I haven't tried yet.

origin

Post by origin » 07 Aug 2012, 16:33

ace63 wrote:You mentioned the duplicate function is slow in Softimage
(I experienced this before - it is MEGA slow), would it be faster to decompose the model you want to duplicate using a CGeometryAccessor,
insert empty meshes into the scene and use a CMeshbuilder to rebuild the mesh?
I heard the CMeshbuilder is awesomely fast, but I haven't tried yet.
This would be probably faster, but the result would not be instance model but new mesh. And you still have to copy all the properties, clusters and so on.
Problem is there is no function or whatever for duplication, only a command call (which takes approx 25ms per call)

Memag

meshPaint v0.93

Post by Memag » 07 Aug 2012, 17:50

meshPaint v0.93:

+line drawing
+faster mouse interpolation

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Just thought I should post this here, hope it's okay with you Piotrek? How's your arm anyways?

May I suggest a feature, an arc or curve drawing?
Something like this, perhaps combine SHIFT+CTRL+ click or SHIFT+right click to do an operation?
After initial straight line drag, you can change the position of the (invisible)control points with cursor.

rray

Post by rray » 07 Aug 2012, 22:28

Nice progress! Best wishes too!
softimage resources section updated Jan 5th 2024

origin

Re: meshPaint v0.93

Post by origin » 08 Aug 2012, 00:54

Memag wrote:
Just thought I should post this here, hope it's okay with you Piotrek? How's your arm anyways?

May I suggest a feature, an arc or curve drawing?
Something like this, perhaps combine SHIFT+CTRL+ click or SHIFT+right click to do an operation?
After initial straight line drag, you can change the position of the (invisible)control points with cursor.
thanks for suggestion. Ive implemented it and now it's easy to do strokes on curved surfaces with just two mouse clicks. Now there's bigger task, arc length parametrization, for equal clone spacing, better follow stroke and non-linear mouse interpolation.

Memag

Re: meshPaint v0.93

Post by Memag » 08 Aug 2012, 00:56

origin wrote:
thanks for suggestion. Ive implemented it and now it's easy to do strokes on curved surfaces with just two mouse clicks. Now there's bigger task, arc length parametrization, for equal clone spacing, better follow stroke and non-linear mouse interpolation.
You're amazing Piotrek.

eternal art

Post by eternal art » 08 Aug 2012, 03:09

Wonderful work Piotrek , keep up the good work .
3D Supervisor - Production House .

bodoquedoc

Post by bodoquedoc » 08 Aug 2012, 06:49

GOOD but can you make the painting object be Animable or keyframable?

TNKS :-bd

Memag

Post by Memag » 08 Aug 2012, 09:10

Another suggestion,
if there is a way to create a polygon ribbon along the line (straight,freehand,arc,curve) and make polygons weld if within certain distance
this would also make a kick ass re-topology tool, as if it's not kick ass already.

druitre

Post by druitre » 08 Aug 2012, 13:22

Great stuff!

Memag: yes, that retopology-idea came into my head too when I saw the last bit of the video, now that would be exiting. Would it be at all doable within this plugin or does it need too much re-working?

Anyway, I'm eagerly waiting for this one.
bodoquedoc wrote:GOOD but can you make the painting object be Animable or keyframable?

TNKS :-bd
You already can? (see page 1)

Daniel Brassard

Post by Daniel Brassard » 08 Aug 2012, 17:03

Is there a way to create a polygon ribbon along the line (straight,freehand,arc,curve) and make polygons weld if within certain distance
this would also make a kick ass re-topology tool, as if it's not kick ass already.
I agree with you Memag althought maybe have it separate from mesh paint (retopo tool). I would suggest quad or triangle fans/strips with auto welding as you said. The problem will be n-gons at intersections but I can deal with that if the tool save me time to create the polygon strips/ribbons/fans.

I envy your programming skills Origin. Thanks for this great tool.

Dan
$ifndef "Softimage"
set "Softimage" "true"
$endif

ActionArt

Post by ActionArt » 08 Aug 2012, 19:16

This is awesome!!!! I have a project just waiting for this tool :D

Piotrek, you're a superhero!

origin

Post by origin » 08 Aug 2012, 20:57

Yes polygon modelling just doesnt fit into this tool really. Meanwhile Ive replaced vimeo clip with new stuff showing bezier line drawing.

Tekano

Post by Tekano » 09 Aug 2012, 23:10

oh my! this is good stuff Piotrek. Also recently was watching this brave effort from a 16 year old I believe who just won his funding from crowdsourcing http://spartaproject.com/ and realised we could pretty much do most of it in ICE already - apart from the live brush painting. So I was wondering if we could use meshpaint as it stands to paint new particle points onto a cache file, these points would persist in space for an X amount of time and could be a force or influence to push / pull / converge /delete / scale / whatever the cache (depending on the brush size strength etc) that way the cache files moving over these points in space would be influenced as well - so you would not have to paint over EVERY frame see this demo of converge brush for example.

Gossip is what no one claims to like, but everybody enjoys.

scaron

Post by scaron » 10 Aug 2012, 02:48

a retopo tool is totally doable with the new custom tool sdk. i was thinking on the lines of the bsurfaces...

http://www.bsurfaces.info/

and silo's topo pen

s