Packing a toolbar into a plugin

Discussions concerning plugins for SOFTIMAGE©
bottleofram

Packing a toolbar into a plugin

Post by bottleofram » 28 Apr 2012, 15:50

I have this plugin that is essentially just a bunch of external scripts and a handy toolbar to execute them. No idea where ive got it from, but i have added some of my own scripts to it and some other i have collected over time.

So i figured i can easily migrate this plugin by simply copying the folder from the the user preferences. However, if i try making .xsiaddon (plugin manager>package addon) this doesnt work. When i install the addon i have created, all the buttons in the toolbar are greyed out. I think it doesnt register custom commands so the buttons execute non-existing ones.

Im totally confused by this, to be honest. I thought when you pack the addon via a plugin manager, it collects all the necessary data but this doesnt seem to be the case. :-??

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Re: Packing a toolbar into a plugin

Post by Hirazi Blue » 28 Apr 2012, 17:08

Just guessing, but when copying the scripts ("copying the folder from the the user preferences"), did you remove the originals? If not, it could be that Softimage is trying in vain to register the commands twice (you should be able to see this in the "History pane")...
:-\
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

xsisupport

Post by xsisupport » 28 Apr 2012, 19:30

Do the disabled (grayed out) toolbar buttons also say "(Missing)" ?

What exactly did you copy from your Softimage User folder?
And where did you copy it to?

Did you create a new Addon in the Plugin Manager, and copy stuff there?

And are you installing this addon on a different machine?
// Steve Blair
// "You're not a runner, you're just a guy who runs" -- my wife
//
// My Blogs: Arnold | Softimage

bottleofram

Post by bottleofram » 29 Apr 2012, 17:46

Steve, yes it says "(Missing)", but i was wrong when i said copying the folder (from user/autodesk/softimage/addons) keeps everything working. It doesnt.

What i did was:
select code>drag and drop into the toolbar>create button (external script)>save toolbar

This effectively creates the custom command, but its a one-off thing. If you were to try and pack this into an addon and than install it on a different machine, it wouldn't work because the command creation process is skipped.

So, obviously, i just dont know enough about how this things work and how to create a self installing command/button. Im sure its explained somewhere in the docs, so no worries, ill figure it out when i have time to read through. Thanks anyway.

Oh, your python version of AddPointToNull script doesnt work in 2013 (change in "import si" etc). Thought you might wanna know.

Cheers

xsisupport

Post by xsisupport » 30 Apr 2012, 17:38

bottleofram wrote:Steve, yes it says "(Missing)", but i was wrong when i said copying the folder (from user/autodesk/softimage/addons) keeps everything working. It doesnt.

What i did was:
select code>drag and drop into the toolbar>create button (external script)>save toolbar

This effectively creates the custom command, but its a one-off thing. If you were to try and pack this into an addon and than install it on a different machine, it wouldn't work because the command creation process is skipped.

So, obviously, i just dont know enough about how this things work and how to create a self installing command/button. Im sure its explained somewhere in the docs, so no worries, ill figure it out when i have time to read through. Thanks anyway.

Cheers
This may help.
http://xsisupport.wordpress.com/2012/04 ... to-addons/
// Steve Blair
// "You're not a runner, you're just a guy who runs" -- my wife
//
// My Blogs: Arnold | Softimage

bottleofram

Post by bottleofram » 30 Apr 2012, 23:32

Most definitely does. I've seen commandmap files and suspected they might be the problem, but had no idea how to pack everything together.

This clears it. Thank you!