quickinset

Plugins linking to this thread: (hide)

QuickInsetAuthor: Piotrek Marczak
Updated May 2013 (info) — Rewrite of the original QuickExtrude tool. This tool performs quick modo-like interactive extrude, bevel and inset operations without showing a property page. Piotrek's notes from the si-community thread: Extruding along normal is available only in 2012 SAP for operations that relies on SI units you drag in component's normal direction, for other ops (like point skirting ratio/bevel subdivisions) just drag across screen subdivision highlighting is supported only for level 1 and only catmull-clark J, L hotkeys change subdivision on extrude K hotkey is for repeating operation on highlighted component/subselection ENTER shows op PPG shift makes operations 10x slower LMB is extruding, LMB and then RMB - changes inset ratio of extrusion MMB is beveling, , MMB and then RMB - changes bevel subdivisions RMB is insetting tool can also work in supra mode if you hotkey the tool I've used it to model few production objects and it's pretty useful.

Developed with the interactive tool SDK. See Piotrek's video for a quick introduction

local backup: quickextrude_0.2.xsiaddon (June 2013) pmQuickExtrude2012.xsiaddon (older but SI 2012 compatible version) quickextrude_src.rar

Discussions concerning plugins for SOFTIMAGE©
wireframex

Re: quickinset

Post by wireframex » 20 Aug 2011, 07:50

Thanks for sharing your tool.

:-bd
"without mastery, power is nothing" - Softimage Addict User
CPU 3990x 128 Threads / 2 x 3090 RTX - 24 Go / 96 Go memory

origin

Post by origin » 20 Aug 2011, 09:03

fjg wrote: One observation - Spacebar normally goes back to selection mode in SI(in my setup), so I end up accidentally extruding
or insetting some component after hitting hitting space and dragging to deselect/select the object/new object - then I realize
I'm still in quickinset mode. So shift would be my vote for inset and ctrl for .1 snap, or vice versa (not that you're asking... :)
How about adding a small text hint next to mouse cursor ('extrude/bevel mode')? Ctrl is problematic because of ctrl+s and ctrl as standard xsi snapping (I've tested it and xsi is registring ctrl+s shortcut when my tool is active)

Memag

Post by Memag » 20 Aug 2011, 12:55

I think small "E" and "B" would be quite sufficient, no to clog the tool too much.
If you can add custom bitmap to cursor, I will make them just tell me what format do you need.

Also why not use "J" and "L" for additional operations like the tweak tool, and keep it close to home?
Last edited by Memag on 20 Aug 2011, 19:54, edited 1 time in total.

fjg

Post by fjg » 20 Aug 2011, 19:33

origin wrote:How about adding a small text hint next to mouse cursor ('extrude/bevel mode')? Ctrl is problematic because of ctrl+s and ctrl as standard xsi snapping (I've tested it and xsi is registring ctrl+s shortcut when my tool is active)
For me, its not so much that there needs to be more visual aid (near the cursor), its just that SI has trained me to use spacebar all the time,
its a reflex at this point - hah! Its perfectly clear when SI is in quickinset mode, with pre-selection highlighting, and the text at bottom of camera
window - the way to get out of the tool isn't standard, that's all. Anyway, I'm already getting used to it, by quickly switching to another tool first. So if its
problematic, it may not be worth the time to make that work.

What about the ALT key (so shift and ALT, leaving spacebar out of it)? Or does that have similar problems as CTRL?

Thanks!

Memag

Post by Memag » 20 Aug 2011, 19:46

I would put "inset/bevel subdivision" on RMB, since there is no point in "exit tool" anyways.
"Exit tool" makes sense in "make polygon" or "cut" tool where it cancels the current operation,
where in tweak tool it opens a menu and you exit tweak by pressing the same shortcut (for activating the tool in the first place).

You will switch to another tool anyways and extra mouse button for tool operation is way better then using modifiers or keys, IMO.

RMB- right mouse button
Last edited by Memag on 20 Aug 2011, 20:19, edited 3 times in total.

fjg

Post by fjg » 20 Aug 2011, 20:01

Sounds good to me.

origin

Post by origin » 21 Aug 2011, 13:32

Ok guys I think I will do as you suggested. I see that leaving main functions to mouse buttons only works better in supra key mode.
As for custom cursor bitmap I think I can't do that, there is no attribute for custom graphic for cursors, only few built in to choose from.

Next thing before final release will be add option to extrude along normal to make this tool fully functional. Hopefully I can steal some code from movenormal.js plugin...

gaboraa

Post by gaboraa » 24 Aug 2011, 09:18

OMG that's incredible, thanks!

scaron

Post by scaron » 24 Aug 2011, 21:06

origin wrote:Next thing before final release will be add option to extrude along normal to make this tool fully functional. Hopefully I can steal some code from movenormal.js plugin...
or wait for the subscription advantage pack coming out soon. it has new modeling tools that include a proper extrusion along normal.

s

origin

Post by origin » 24 Aug 2011, 22:24

scaron wrote:
origin wrote:Next thing before final release will be add option to extrude along normal to make this tool fully functional. Hopefully I can steal some code from movenormal.js plugin...
or wait for the subscription advantage pack coming out soon. it has new modeling tools that include a proper extrusion along normal.

s
owww I didn't notice...thanks.

Memag

Post by Memag » 25 Aug 2011, 22:52

throne@inbox.com wrote:Why not use a combintion of alt, ctrl and shift like 3ds max ?
Also the next advantage pack is going to contain normals extrude in ICE format, as independent tool so i guess you should totally include it in your next release.

P.S, you should also create a set of tools like swiftloop and other bunch of stuff, you will totally make every modeler not just comfortable, but more like happy.

Please, no.
I think origin moved away from using too much shortcuts. And as far as tool complexity goes for now, modifier keys are not needed.
Maybe you should get comfortable with using mouse buttons, as many tools in SI work that way. Even manipulation can be totally more pleasant that way.
What is "swift loop"? Is it like, "split edge tool" with middle mouse click, in Softimage?

origin

Post by origin » 25 Aug 2011, 23:13

Judging from videos extrude normal is regular OP, not ice-one. I will wait for SAP and will see if it's okay for interactive tool.

Memag

Post by Memag » 26 Aug 2011, 00:25

throne@inbox.com wrote: Swiftloop is exactly like that with a few additions like the ability to create a edge following the curvature by just holding shift, but if Origin is going the road of unified tools i think he should include stuff like cut with split edge in the same tool.
But what i really meant is we need more tools like that, 3ds max has tools that creates polygons, bridges, and removing polies all under the same tool.

also why not alt+ctrl+shift ? this method can give you up to 8 different behaviors under the same keybind. but thats just my opinion, anyway...
Split loop with curvature preservation will be added in SAP ("add smooth edge loop").

As for modifier keys, I am used to Silo and it's mouse customization, so this workflow seems best for me.
Alas, you can have 24 different behaviors with three mouse buttons and modifiers
the problem is some stuff in SI is hard coded, as origin mentioned in one of the former posts.

SI and max are different animals, you will miss some features, others will be godsend.

In the end I am very happy to see modeling updates.
QuickInset makes that warm stomach feeling, just like Tweak Tool did back in v5.

Memag

Post by Memag » 26 Aug 2011, 00:43

throne@inbox.com wrote:3ds max has tools that creates polygons, bridges, and removing polies all under the same tool.
What the hell is that and how does it function?
Tool or tools? AFAIC, SI bridge creates polygons, bridges them and removes the redundant ones.

Memag

Post by Memag » 26 Aug 2011, 01:42

Something like "add/edit poly tool" + duplicate , and optional "shrink wrap" on top, right?
And "delete objects tool" (backspace over here), for deleting arbitrary components.

Seems doable in SI as it is.

scaron

Post by scaron » 26 Aug 2011, 20:06

Throneinc wrote:
Memag wrote:Something like "add/edit poly tool" + duplicate , and optional "shrink wrap" on top, right?
And "delete objects tool" (backspace over here), for deleting arbitrary components.

Seems doable in SI as it is.
i have no doubt if its doable or not, the question is how fast i can do it, thats what i "Think" should be improved in general, the speed factor.
i think memag means its doable with the new tool sdk? the tool sdk should open up a lot of new customizations, like...

Ahmidou's LivePaint (sculpting) and his viewport trajectory editing tool he showed (http://www.vimeo.com/20538565)
a grease pencil
a tape measure ( which i am developing ) https://github.com/caron/TapeMeasure
sketch modeling a la silo and more recently http://www.bsurfaces.info/

exciting stuff imo!