quickinset

Plugins linking to this thread: (hide)

QuickInsetAuthor: Piotrek Marczak
Updated May 2013 (info) — Rewrite of the original QuickExtrude tool. This tool performs quick modo-like interactive extrude, bevel and inset operations without showing a property page. Piotrek's notes from the si-community thread: Extruding along normal is available only in 2012 SAP for operations that relies on SI units you drag in component's normal direction, for other ops (like point skirting ratio/bevel subdivisions) just drag across screen subdivision highlighting is supported only for level 1 and only catmull-clark J, L hotkeys change subdivision on extrude K hotkey is for repeating operation on highlighted component/subselection ENTER shows op PPG shift makes operations 10x slower LMB is extruding, LMB and then RMB - changes inset ratio of extrusion MMB is beveling, , MMB and then RMB - changes bevel subdivisions RMB is insetting tool can also work in supra mode if you hotkey the tool I've used it to model few production objects and it's pretty useful.

Developed with the interactive tool SDK. See Piotrek's video for a quick introduction

local backup: quickextrude_0.2.xsiaddon (June 2013) pmQuickExtrude2012.xsiaddon (older but SI 2012 compatible version) quickextrude_src.rar

Discussions concerning plugins for SOFTIMAGE©
Chris_TC

Re: quickinset

Post by Chris_TC » 27 Aug 2011, 13:42

I wasn't knocking your tool by the way, I think it looks great. And having additional tools available to choose from is a great thing.

Ahmidou

Post by Ahmidou » 27 Aug 2011, 16:53

it will! ;)
origin wrote:to be honest

having bevel, extrude and inset in single tool is quite logical.
but adding some more feature, more key combinations will also make tool more confusing.

Now I'm Max user for 10 years now but I prefer modeling in XSI ALOT.
The only thing xsi lacks of is more tools that fit xsis genius workflow :)

I will wait with releasing final version of my tool, hoping SAP will include source code for new split edge tool.

origin

Post by origin » 27 Aug 2011, 22:52

2008. Few months ago I tried 2010 but had alot of errors so I gave up.

origin

Post by origin » 28 Aug 2011, 01:01

You need to add text opengl32.lib in project->(projectname) properities->configuration properties->linker->additional dependencies

calmasacow

Post by calmasacow » 29 Aug 2011, 19:24

How does the bevel work. I'm using it with the 2012 SP1 on x64 and I cannot get the Bevel to work what are the keys?

Memag

Post by Memag » 29 Aug 2011, 19:33

calmasacow wrote:How does the bevel work. I'm using it with the 2012 SP1 on x64 and I cannot get the Bevel to work what are the keys?
There is no "bevel" in current build.
Only Origin can use it, for now.

calmasacow

Post by calmasacow » 29 Aug 2011, 21:25

Boo this man! :-o

Just kidding. I can't wait to see this. I hope it gets released quick after SAP comes out.

scaron

Post by scaron » 04 Sep 2011, 03:22

Throneinc wrote:i just confirmed that all the new 2012.5 modeling tools are in ICE format, just a headsup.
this is not true, i believe its half and half. thickness and cap hole are ICE modeling. smooth edge loop and extrude along normal are traditional operators.

s

scaron

Post by scaron » 06 Sep 2011, 19:26

Throneinc wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPv3ysEf ... embedded#!
scrap through, he did mention that all the new modeling tools are in ICE, he opened a few operator aswell.
@~13:00
notice it didn't change when he selected the extrude along normal op and refreshed the tree? cause its a traditional operator, same goes for the add smooth edge loop.

regardless these operators can still be driven from a custom tool sdk, parameters are still parameters regardless if they are in ICE or C++ property pages.

s

origin

Post by origin » 20 Oct 2011, 18:42

Sorry guys It will take some more time for update. I don't have time now due to a lot of work
meanwhile I was working in my spare time (which I don't have) on this http://vimeo.com/30157356

origin

Post by origin » 01 Feb 2012, 23:37

Hi guys, I've updated first post with new version. (32bit version was not tested but should work...)

bottleofram

Post by bottleofram » 02 Feb 2012, 04:24

Great stuff as always, piotrek. :ymapplause:

Don't know if this has been discussed already, but would it be possible to implement some of the advanced selection characteristics into the tool? For example, edge loop selection on double click and shortest path selection. That would useful when beveling the edges interactively. Right now it seems you can only select the edge one by one...

gfxman

Post by gfxman » 02 Feb 2012, 10:05

uao! That's amazing! Great Work and thx for release it has a free plugin!

Memag

Post by Memag » 02 Feb 2012, 10:43

Great to see it finished!
Congratulations on a brilliant tool and thank you very much for releasing it Piotrek.

origin

Post by origin » 02 Feb 2012, 12:50

bottleofram wrote:Great stuff as always, piotrek. :ymapplause:

Don't know if this has been discussed already, but would it be possible to implement some of the advanced selection characteristics into the tool? For example, edge loop selection on double click and shortest path selection. That would useful when beveling the edges interactively. Right now it seems you can only select the edge one by one...
yep you can only select subcomponents one by one.
I was thinking about adding those,
but then again if you work with tool in sticky mode, you can always turn on selection tools in supra mode to select some stuff.

bottleofram

Post by bottleofram » 02 Feb 2012, 13:30

origin wrote:
bottleofram wrote:Great stuff as always, piotrek. :ymapplause:

yep you can only select subcomponents one by one.
I was thinking about adding those,
but then again if you work with tool in sticky mode, you can always turn on selection tools in supra mode to select some stuff.
Oh, I see. That'll work!

Hopefully you receive enough requests to eventually implement it (for the sake of convenience), but the tool is an immense improvement for the workflow as it is, nonetheless. Thanks