quickinset

Plugins linking to this thread: (hide)

QuickInsetAuthor: Piotrek Marczak
Updated May 2013 (info) — Rewrite of the original QuickExtrude tool. This tool performs quick modo-like interactive extrude, bevel and inset operations without showing a property page. Piotrek's notes from the si-community thread: Extruding along normal is available only in 2012 SAP for operations that relies on SI units you drag in component's normal direction, for other ops (like point skirting ratio/bevel subdivisions) just drag across screen subdivision highlighting is supported only for level 1 and only catmull-clark J, L hotkeys change subdivision on extrude K hotkey is for repeating operation on highlighted component/subselection ENTER shows op PPG shift makes operations 10x slower LMB is extruding, LMB and then RMB - changes inset ratio of extrusion MMB is beveling, , MMB and then RMB - changes bevel subdivisions RMB is insetting tool can also work in supra mode if you hotkey the tool I've used it to model few production objects and it's pretty useful.

Developed with the interactive tool SDK. See Piotrek's video for a quick introduction

local backup: quickextrude_0.2.xsiaddon (June 2013) pmQuickExtrude2012.xsiaddon (older but SI 2012 compatible version) quickextrude_src.rar

Discussions concerning plugins for SOFTIMAGE©
Eugen

Re: quickinset

Post by Eugen » 18 Aug 2011, 06:36

Super nice!!

I think it would be important if the tool could be applied not only to one but to all selected polygons/points.
Best,
Eugen

origin

Post by origin » 18 Aug 2011, 09:39

thanks guys
Memag: I see it's oversensitive when insetting edges/points, or is for faces for you too?
Eugen wrote:Super nice!!

I think it would be important if the tool could be applied not only to one but to all selected polygons/points.
Best,
Eugen
I could do something like this...if there are some subcomponents selected when tool is executed, there will be no highlighting and tool will only work on these subcomponents.

Memag

Post by Memag » 18 Aug 2011, 11:40

No biggie Poitrek, just feels very sensitive all around.
I wouldn't want to ruin it for others by suggesting a bit milder control.
Thanks!

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 18 Aug 2011, 14:40

@origin - Nice... :-bd
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

origin

Post by origin » 18 Aug 2011, 22:26

I will add sensitivity setting to custom preferences (when I found a way to do it...)

I got pre-selection working now (click & drag on selected subcomponents - extrude only these subcomp., click on other sub. - single subcomp. extrude), fixed sensitivity while insetting points/edges.

Anyway I'm thinking about switching TAB mode to extrude/bevel, since inset is just extrude with length=0 (you can have pure insetting when spacebar is pressed before click&drag while in extrude mode).

Memag

Post by Memag » 18 Aug 2011, 22:36

origin wrote:I will add sensitivity setting to custom preferences (when I found a way to do it...)

I got pre-selection working now (click & drag on selected subcomponents - extrude only these subcomp., click on other sub. - single subcomp. extrude), fixed sensitivity while insetting points/edges.

Anyway I'm thinking about switching TAB mode to extrude/bevel, since inset is just extrude with length=0 (you can have pure insetting when spacebar is pressed before click&drag while in extrude mode).
Switch sound good.
Why not put bevel on middle mouse button and repeat mode on TAB?
Can you bind left/right cursor movement to inset (or bevel) and up/down to extrude, and leave middle button to repeat?
Just tossing suggestions, sorry if it seems chaotic.

Thanks for the hard work origin!

druitre

Post by druitre » 19 Aug 2011, 21:17

Thanks Origin, its a great tool! I wish more of XSI's modeling behaved in similar fashion (direct, no-ppg, like m-tool).

But, since I have tab already assigned to Andy Nicholas' XSI Tab Menu (which overrides all other tab-key behavior?) , is it possible to assign a custom key? I couldn't find a 'custom preferences' thing.

(If this isn't possible, I'll probably uninstall tab menu, since I really like your tool.)

Memag's left-right/up-down suggestion sounds good to me, it would be fast and intuitive IMO. Keyboard only needed for constraining or numerical input, all other actions performed directly with mouse.

Manticor

Post by Manticor » 19 Aug 2011, 21:48

That's brilliant,so cool that you're adding killer functionality to the modeling system.

Do you have plans for any more tools ?

origin

Post by origin » 19 Aug 2011, 23:39

Yeah, I'm thinking about some tools. Now I'm not c++ expert so everything is abit slow in development...And since I don't know how to debug, it's even slower ;)

I will post new version soon, here are the changes so far:
- Added selecting functionality similiar to one in Tweak tool, so hopefully this tool will be more handy
- removed TAB functionality
- moved Extrude to LMB
- moved Bevel to MMB
- space is inset/bevel subdivisions modifier.
- pure insetting can be achieved by holding space before clicking&dragging
- backspace removes last op
- I wanted to have repeat last op as double click, but it's giving me some problems, so eventualy I will probably move it to some hotkey

fjg

Post by fjg » 20 Aug 2011, 05:55

This is a great addition to modeling in SI... and the new mods you mention will streamline it!
I like how it makes extruding and beveling as fast and aligned as sketch-up.

One observation - Spacebar normally goes back to selection mode in SI(in my setup), so I end up accidentally extruding
or insetting some component after hitting hitting space and dragging to deselect/select the object/new object - then I realize
I'm still in quickinset mode. So shift would be my vote for inset and ctrl for .1 snap, or vice versa (not that you're asking... :)

Regardless, this is already set to a hotkey for me and one of my faves - Thanks for making this available.

wireframex

Post by wireframex » 20 Aug 2011, 07:50

Thanks for sharing your tool.

:-bd
"without mastery, power is nothing" - Softimage Addict User
CPU 3990x 128 Threads / 2 x 3090 RTX - 24 Go / 96 Go memory

origin

Post by origin » 20 Aug 2011, 09:03

fjg wrote: One observation - Spacebar normally goes back to selection mode in SI(in my setup), so I end up accidentally extruding
or insetting some component after hitting hitting space and dragging to deselect/select the object/new object - then I realize
I'm still in quickinset mode. So shift would be my vote for inset and ctrl for .1 snap, or vice versa (not that you're asking... :)
How about adding a small text hint next to mouse cursor ('extrude/bevel mode')? Ctrl is problematic because of ctrl+s and ctrl as standard xsi snapping (I've tested it and xsi is registring ctrl+s shortcut when my tool is active)

Memag

Post by Memag » 20 Aug 2011, 12:55

I think small "E" and "B" would be quite sufficient, no to clog the tool too much.
If you can add custom bitmap to cursor, I will make them just tell me what format do you need.

Also why not use "J" and "L" for additional operations like the tweak tool, and keep it close to home?
Last edited by Memag on 20 Aug 2011, 19:54, edited 1 time in total.

fjg

Post by fjg » 20 Aug 2011, 19:33

origin wrote:How about adding a small text hint next to mouse cursor ('extrude/bevel mode')? Ctrl is problematic because of ctrl+s and ctrl as standard xsi snapping (I've tested it and xsi is registring ctrl+s shortcut when my tool is active)
For me, its not so much that there needs to be more visual aid (near the cursor), its just that SI has trained me to use spacebar all the time,
its a reflex at this point - hah! Its perfectly clear when SI is in quickinset mode, with pre-selection highlighting, and the text at bottom of camera
window - the way to get out of the tool isn't standard, that's all. Anyway, I'm already getting used to it, by quickly switching to another tool first. So if its
problematic, it may not be worth the time to make that work.

What about the ALT key (so shift and ALT, leaving spacebar out of it)? Or does that have similar problems as CTRL?

Thanks!

Memag

Post by Memag » 20 Aug 2011, 19:46

I would put "inset/bevel subdivision" on RMB, since there is no point in "exit tool" anyways.
"Exit tool" makes sense in "make polygon" or "cut" tool where it cancels the current operation,
where in tweak tool it opens a menu and you exit tweak by pressing the same shortcut (for activating the tool in the first place).

You will switch to another tool anyways and extra mouse button for tool operation is way better then using modifiers or keys, IMO.

RMB- right mouse button
Last edited by Memag on 20 Aug 2011, 20:19, edited 3 times in total.

fjg

Post by fjg » 20 Aug 2011, 20:01

Sounds good to me.