Spacepilot (Pro) Softimage 2011.5

General questions and troubleshooting SOFTIMAGE©
Nizar

Spacepilot (Pro) Softimage 2011.5

Post by Nizar » 24 Sep 2010, 22:36

Hi,
3dconnexion spacepilot... does work well on softimage? It is a big and expensive tool, but look so awesome :D
I found on ebay many spacepilot (the old release, new is specepilot pro), and price is more affordable (refurbished only 130 $, instead spacepilot pro cost about 400), the difference between the two edition is so strong?

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Re: Spacepilot Pro Softimage

Post by Hirazi Blue » 24 Sep 2010, 22:44

I don't know about this product specifically, but it all depends on the question
if you can find proper & supported drivers for your respective OS.
This is something you should be able to check quite easily
on the support pages of the manufacturer's website... ;)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

Nizar

Post by Nizar » 24 Sep 2010, 22:50

Yes, softimage is supported and the driver is all for windows (and mac), page product:
http://www.3dconnexion.com/products/spacepilot-pro.html
I would like know if anyone here has used this on softimage. 3dconnexion (a logitech subcompany) ensure you will become 30% more fast and productive :)

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 24 Sep 2010, 22:54

Sorry, can't help you there. The only thing I used was a SpaceNavigator from the same company. I never could get used to it, though, so I stopped using it eventually. But this is obviously just my personal experience, for other people the 3Dconnexion hardware seems to be working just fine...

g.m.

Post by g.m. » 24 Sep 2010, 23:25

I bought a spacenavigator a few years ago but it's just a decoration on a shelf... I guess if you had a spacepilot you could work without touching the keyboard or at least doing that rarely, but I couldn't get used to the navigator just like Hirazi.

Nizar

Post by Nizar » 24 Sep 2010, 23:35

This was my doubt: I like very much keyboard hotkey, and the spece navigator (the base model) has only two key (customizable?). Spacepilot pro has many keys (about 20 or more), I think sufficient for abandon the keyboard (all customizable? In video they have specific function just assigned). But spacepilot pro cost 400$ :(

McNistor

Post by McNistor » 27 Sep 2010, 12:39

In my always right opinion (hahaha), these toys are... well toys. At least when we're talking about working in 3d apps like XSI. Some CAD apps may benefit them but I'm not so sure about that. One neat gadget cannot replace the good old infinite times proven keyboard.
The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools.
-Thucydides

Nizar

Post by Nizar » 15 Oct 2010, 19:36

Agree with you, but not in all aspects.
To day arrived a space pilot (the old version), I found an used from ebay (80 euro). the item look nice, but the big knob don't work like i expect he works. this old version you have 10 totally configurable keys, and 5 not configurable (they are setting on front, perspective, right ecc. views), so you can assign the most useful tool to his button and limit keyboard using.

The bad news don't work with softimage 2011.5 :((

dirtydog

Post by dirtydog » 15 Oct 2010, 20:25

i use 3dconnection navigator with 2011.5 no problems, also MOI, 3dcoat, bodypaint. I originally bought it for lw10 as cheap end vcam use. i would'nt recommend it for modeling as such, but its good for orbiting and musing around what your doing.

Nizar

Post by Nizar » 15 Oct 2010, 20:33

No, in my case work with 2011 but not with 2011.5 ...
I think, if you can use many customizable buttons (space navigator has only two buttons, right?) I think you can use it for modelling issue. This is only an impression, I must try

craft

Post by craft » 15 Oct 2010, 23:21

i got a space explorer and totally love it for modelling (sadly, i barely have time to model, these days) and for recording camera travels that i then clean up and edit. if you're going to buy one of these things, don't buy the space explorer - go crazy and buy the best one. I regret i didn't make that choice because the screen really helps A LOT, when you make a bunch of different button combinations to take the best out of the hardware.

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 18 Oct 2010, 14:39

From what I gather from this thread, the 3D Connexion installer simply doesn't install in the right folder (belonging to the SAP). Try copying anything 3dConnexion related manually from your 2011 install location to the corresponding folders in your new 2011.5 installation.
;)

curly

Post by curly » 18 Oct 2010, 15:03

Just use a Logitech Trackball. That's much cheaper.

Nizar

Post by Nizar » 18 Oct 2010, 17:22

Thanks very much Hirazi, but I copy all the file from 2011 to advantage pack, and don't work... in the thread you post I read about a file .mel and some mel script adjustment, and (as we all expect) I don't find any mel script in XSI folders.
I talked with 3dconnexion support and they tell me it is a Autodesk issue, in any case, from some month (one or two) will be release a new driver.

I tried softimage (2011) with spacepilot and a new mouse (with 8 programmable buttons), and after a bit of pain it work very well with a very limited keyboard use. Really fast improvement.

I don't know how much cost Logitech trackball, but now on ebay you can find a large number of used spacepilot, really cheaper (100 €), spacepilot has 12 configurable keys, (16 if you include the four shift,crtl,esc and alt key, but they are useful without customization, so a cage only esc in spacebar). All this used spacepilot are refurbish from 3dconnexion. If you want can request a free trial from 3dconnexion and can try for two weeks this product (but space pilot pro, the old one I have is no more commercialized). Give a try, i find it really useful (not indispensable) and fast

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Re: Spacepilot Pro Softimage 2011.5

Post by Hirazi Blue » 18 Oct 2010, 19:51

FYI - I've moved the thread to our "General & Troubleshooting" forum and added the "2011.5" to the title in a blatant attempt to attract some attention from "our" professional troubleshooters...
;)

@Nizar - Are you "cuccume" on the Area or is the thread started there unrelated to yours?

Nizar

Re: Spacepilot Pro Softimage 2011.5

Post by Nizar » 18 Oct 2010, 20:46

Thanks (for the professional :D )

No, I'm not registered on Area (if I'm registered I never write message)