obj uv ?

General questions and troubleshooting SOFTIMAGE©
nicole

obj uv ?

Post by nicole » 26 Dec 2018, 18:02

hello.

is there no way to have the uv transferred from softimage 2015 to mudbox 2012 via obj. ?
the uv check box in obj. panel is checked but there's never coming any uv on the imported obj. mesh in mudbox, why ?
is there something to do in mudbox to recover the uv from the SI obj?

( this corresponds to a simple workflow: i have 12 identical meshes each textured differently.
they have been rigged in softimage (one time for twelve) and i try to sculpt each differently thus in mudbox
but fbx sends the whole scene from softimage to mudbox(why?) and the problem is then how the fbx mesh returns to softimage from mudbox:
the rig is modified in a bad way, that's why i cannot use fbx for uv )

thank you if you can teach me a better workflow
mathyas

nicole

Re: obj uv ?

Post by nicole » 26 Dec 2018, 23:59

i have done it via fbx with removing the rig and plug the image into the old rigged mesh.
will check if i can sculpt using gator tomorrow
thanks for any info why marked edges don't transfer to mudbox and backwards to xsi, and if there's a way with obj.+ uv map

myara

Post by myara » 27 Dec 2018, 01:02

Check Selection only in the FBX exporter.
M.Yara
Character Modeler | Softimage Generalist (sort of)

nicole

Post by nicole » 28 Dec 2018, 01:35

thank you M.Yara!

i painted with a stamp and then sculpted a third level in mudbox,
then i tried for first time to use vector displacement to target level 0 and sent the whole fbx to SI
but the way i had sculpted did not translate at all in the rendering,
so i used Gator, with the level3 (one above from the original in SI thus)
and the way the enveloped mesh is intricate messed the weight points. impossible to des-intricate two legs of my monster.
i think the end result interesting (i prefer not to show and wait to show in a movie) so i'll keep it in production, even if two legs are elastically glued together...
i'll try sculpting first and then only paint in next unit of twelve. thanks for reading.

nicole

Post by nicole » 28 Dec 2018, 11:21

the monster's mesh is rigged. its level 3 in mudbox, so its rich and heavy and quite cluggy to
moove ( i have to wait two seconds between each translation of effector.)
yet, surprisingly during one tweaking session yesterday it behaved suddenly totally smoothly, as if it was not subdivided.
then, again, upon reloading the scene (saved during smooth bliss moment), again its cluggy.

do you see any means by which i could revert it back to the blissful smooth uncombersome way?

myara

Post by myara » 28 Dec 2018, 12:11

I can’t really know without seeing your data. But :

- Although Softimage envelope is fairly fast, it will always be slow with high poly meshes. Usually meshes from sculpt software are way too high poly to move them as they are. In case that high poly mesh is really needed as it is, usually the animator works with a low poly version and swap it for final retouches before rendering.
- If the mesh has too much history it will be slow to process. Freeze Modeling periodically. It seems you are using Gator, maybe the gator operator is still alive, be sure to freeze it if you don’t need it anymore.
M.Yara
Character Modeler | Softimage Generalist (sort of)

nicole

Post by nicole » 29 Dec 2018, 00:42

ok. when i display in wireframe its totally fluid i could pass beyond level 4 or 5 in mudbox it seems.

thank you for your informative views. i wonder if in the industry people still these days use sometimes vector displacement mapping or displacement for sculpting. my experience so far (two days)
was that its too approximate, there lacks control on the details, that's why i switched to directly import the levels, and it worked, just did a funny test of three seconds, will perhaps one day show.

rray

Post by rray » 29 Dec 2018, 01:16

yet, surprisingly during one tweaking session yesterday it behaved suddenly totally smoothly, as if it was not subdivided.
then, again, upon reloading the scene (saved during smooth bliss moment), again its cluggy.
Sounds familiar, unexplained drop of VP speed is one of the main grievances with XSI... Sometimes what helps is freeze the whole mesh, then do 1 undo
softimage resources section updated Jan 5th 2024