Alembic store color/vertex

General questions and troubleshooting SOFTIMAGE©
sant0s

Alembic store color/vertex

Post by sant0s » 15 Jan 2017, 00:04

Hey, me again :D

using alembic files (and custom attributes in ICE) from another application inside Softimage seems to be quite easy.
Just using the 'get data', plug it into the 'alembic cache take' node and pulling out the attributes I need.

But how to store custom ICE attributes in an alembic file?
Here is an explanation on how to store for example color from a point cloud: http://exocortex.com/blog/crate_custom_ ... _softimage

But I think thats outdated and its for point clouds - I wanna store the weight map as color/vertex on a geometry.

As an example I use a weight map, store the weight map per gradient as a black/white in self.my_color.
But when I export the alembic file, where do I have to add the my_color attribute?

There is 'ICE Attributes for Polygon Meshes' and 'ICE Attributes for other Primitives'.
I tested both.

The crate example shows and custom ICE Node, but since I guess, thats old, I cannot find anything similar.

Short: I would like to export a grid with a weight map as Alembic and import it either in softimage, houdini or wherever and get these data I stored.

Thanks again! :)
sant0s

edit: okay - doesn't seem to work :(
http://docs.autodesk.com/SI/2015/ENU//i ... E0C9DF.htm
NOTE:Softimage supports exporting only the following object(s) to Alembic format:

PointCloud — Shape instancing, particle animation through ICE attributes (position, color, size, orientation), and most of the ICE data types

PolyMesh — Shape animation, UVs, FaceSets

Null rig

sant0s

Re: Alembic store color/vertex

Post by sant0s » 15 Jan 2017, 13:54

Okay, I am one step further.

I stored the weight map into a vertex color (get data [weight map] -> HSVA to Color -> set data [vertex color] ).

When I export and import these as FBX, I have the vertex attribute and can use it.
Problem is, only frame 1. But since the weight map is animated, the vertex color of course is also animated... and thats what I need to be exported.

Thanks and have a good rest weekend! :)