Mot Tool 7.5 crashes when selecting objects.

General questions and troubleshooting SOFTIMAGE©
minilogoguy18

Mot Tool 7.5 crashes when selecting objects.

Post by minilogoguy18 » 26 Sep 2016, 02:03

I'm pretty sure this is video card related but I can't seem to get it fixed. Some things that I have read online was that it was caused by dual displays but I'm using 1 HDTV and it's set to single display in catalyst control center. Every time I try to select something Softimage crashes, I decided to try Windows 10 on this PC and it seems to have caused this problem BUT on a laptop that has Windows 10 SIMT doesn't crash like this, it works fine.

Does anyone here know what I can try to fix this other than reverting back to Windows 7 since I know Mod Tool works on 10?

Video card is a MSI R5770 Hawk (old I know).

Draise

Re: Mot Tool 7.5 crashes when selecting objects.

Post by Draise » 26 Sep 2016, 06:06

I had the exact same issue. It's an AMD vs Nvidia card issue. It won't crash on W10 with an Nvidia card, but by the looks of it you are using and AMD card..

I have that issue. Still not sure of the fix yet.

Btw, the Mod tool is a great free partner for Mach Studio Pro 2. The exporter plugin works with it - incase you needed to render anything vertex related.

EDIT: I'll try install it again and see what is up. I had my AMD card modifying some override settings. I have disabled them to run some older GPU software, which the overrides were crashing. I'll see if that fixes it.

Draise

Post by Draise » 26 Sep 2016, 06:23

Dunno. Still crashes on my AMD card, which is maybe around 3 or 4 years old.

Tried turning on the Vsync, off.
Tried the Opengl and DirectX viewport modes, still crashes it.

minilogoguy18

Post by minilogoguy18 » 26 Sep 2016, 07:31

Yeah, saw your post about this when I was googling.

We may have AMD cards but I don't think that may exactly be it yet considering the laptop I have is using an integrated AMD chip. I've heard of NVidia card users having this issue too and it having to do with dual displays not being configured correctly.

I've tried quite a few settings changes too but nothing so far has worked. It sucks because I want to keep using this version as I'm just a lowly game modder and IMO this is the best freeware you can get despite always being a XSI fan. If I can't find a solution fast I'll probably be forced to go back to Win7 but I could probably go back and forth quite a bit since it's still very much possible to get a free Windows 10 upgrade totally legit.

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 26 Sep 2016, 09:31

One thing to try: Testing whether a startup crash is related to the display driver.
And setting anti-aliasing to "application controlled" might also help... :-?
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

Rork

Post by Rork » 26 Sep 2016, 11:07

I'm impressed that it even still installs.
The latest Mod tool is what, 8 years old or so?

But NVIDIA is my best guess as well. Softimage never worked well with AMD cards.

rob
SI UI tutorials: Toolbar http://goo.gl/iYOL0l | Custom Layout http://goo.gl/6iP5xQ | RenderManager View http://goo.gl/b4ZkjQ
So long, and thanks for all the Fish!!

luceric

Post by luceric » 26 Sep 2016, 13:35

if you installed Windows 10, it's possible that the ATI driver that supports OpenGL isn't even installed and you need to install that separately.
In that was the case, you'd be running the one that ships with windows 10, which only emulates opengl though DirectX, and stuff like selection will crash

minilogoguy18

Post by minilogoguy18 » 26 Sep 2016, 15:40

luceric wrote:if you installed Windows 10, it's possible that the ATI driver that supports OpenGL isn't even installed and you need to install that separately.
In that was the case, you'd be running the one that ships with windows 10, which only emulates opengl though DirectX, and stuff like selection will crash
Sorry for sounding helpless, where can I find the files I need to fix this?

Hirazi Blue, it doesn't crash at startup, I can load any scene I already have and do everything except select objects.

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 26 Sep 2016, 15:54

Try this site. ;)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

minilogoguy18

Post by minilogoguy18 » 26 Sep 2016, 16:17

Tired that, didn't work.

Found some Minecraft site that had some topics on a similar issue, tried installing the driver's they had listed there but it caused the PC to crash with a blue screen and a huge sad face emoticon lol.

Draise

Post by Draise » 26 Sep 2016, 17:14

I wouldn't trust a Minecraft forum for those kinds of fixes..

Apparently the OpenGL drivers can be installed to the side. What a great lead to try find that fix!!! Might explain my slow SI2015 viewport too (where my older nvidia card node in my network runs at double framerate though this machine has a card twice the size!)

Maybe try the video instead officially from downloaded AMD drivers?

I'll give it a try.

minilogoguy18

Post by minilogoguy18 » 26 Sep 2016, 17:30

OK, I have no idea what happened but after trying to install those really old drivers and windows shitting the bed it works all of the sudden lol.

I wish I knew exactly what did it but so far all I can say is that I tried to install a really old driver for win7 x64, the PC crashed, rebooted and it worked.

All I can say to try is going back 1 driver version at a time with the option for Windows 10 to auto update drivers turned off until something works. I tried what was in that youtube video, it's what caused the PC to crash.

Draise

Post by Draise » 26 Sep 2016, 18:02

Let me know which ones works, as I am having trouble sidechaining the older drivers - saying they aren't compatible.

minilogoguy18

Post by minilogoguy18 » 26 Sep 2016, 18:07

Well that's what's odd about it, it shows that I have the most recent driver according to the device manager so I don't know if somehow during the installation some part of a OpenGL driver was installed and left behind but it works. I've opened the program multiple times with different scenes and I'm able to select again without crashing.

I wish I knew what I did since googling has revealed that this is a problem that a few others have gotten.

minilogoguy18

Post by minilogoguy18 » 29 Sep 2016, 03:52

Draise, try this...

http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/AMD-Clean-Uninstall-Utility.aspx

minilogoguy18

Post by minilogoguy18 » 02 Oct 2016, 04:54

I'm going to add more to this and also say that with your help Draise we could probably find out exactly what's causing this and how to fix it.

I've been tinkering some more, using that AMD clean uninstall utility I've been able to find out that it's Catalyst Control Center that has something to do with it, probably some setting it enables. When I run that utility it will uninstall everything, including drivers and causes the PC to crash then restart but either recovering or reinstalling the drivers but CCC is broken and not working. Like this Softimage works but it breaks other GPU related things for some reason, reinstalling CCC fixes them, an example would be webpages with embedded sketchfab views or the Maps app.

I'm going to try other versions of AMD software until I can find one that works since I've tried tinkering with settings in CCC but had no luck unless I missed something.